Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kamoa Ukulele

Default Kamoa Ukulele

I had never heard of a Kamoa ukulele, but when I saw "Maui" on the inside label, I thought, "Here's another Hawaiian "K" brand." Not quite. The company is located on Maui, but the ukes are made in China, much like aNueNue - located in one place and made in another.

A new member at our group jam yesterday had a beautiful tenor. It had a cedar top and mahogany sides - all solid. It looked like very good quality.

Prices range from $369 - $1,999.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

8 or 10 years ago Kamoa Fiberglass cases were very popular around the Forum...…..much more so than their ukes. I don't believe they make the cases any longer.

When we went to Kauai a couple of years ago, I tried a number of them at their shop and didn’t care for any. They look nice, but they seem a little heavy and muted, and they are not cheap. Their higher end ukuleles could be better, but for $300+, I think there are much better options.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I had never heard of a Kamoa ukulele, but when I saw "Maui" on the inside label, I thought, "Here's another Hawaiian "K" brand." Not quite. The company is located on Maui, but the ukes are made in China, much like aNueNue - located in one place and made in another.

A new member at our group jam yesterday had a beautiful tenor. It had a cedar top and mahogany sides - all solid. It looked like very good quality.

Prices range from $369 - $1,999.
    I have owned a couple of Kamoas. They have a good sound and tend to go for sound over wood grain (at least the lower priced ones) I would recommend them, I have owned e3c and e3t
    I now mostly own luthier built or high end ukes or vintages and that is why I don’t own a Kamoa. I was quite satisfied with the price to sound..

I have several friends with Kamoas, they're decent instruments! A little pricey IMHO, but good quality. I'd love to find a 500 series Grand Concert Honeyburst for a decent price, saw one on ebay a year ago or so, I bid my max and it went for like, $5 more...

kamoa 500 gc.jpg
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

I have 2 Kamoas. Both tenors. One an 500 and the other an E3. The 500 is quite good. It is light, responsive and open in its sound. It’s really nice with a low G. Found both of them used. I took the 500 to a local luthier to look at for a minor repair and he was impressed by its sound. Oh, and the repair was handled via email to the company. Even though I am not the original owner, they stood behind their work and made sure I was happy. They even called me on the phone and walked me through the repair. Quite nice.

I went to a uke store on Kauai that stocks only Kamoa and I tried many models. They were quite nice though not outstanding and I almost bought one. I am glad I didn't because for a little more money I was able to buy a Hawaiian built KoAloha and later also a Kamaka uke.

About 5 years ago I spearheaded a group-buy here on UU for an electric steel string archtop ukulele from a factory in China for $165 for an order of 20, an order of one was $400. Along the way I discovered the Kamoa web site and saw that they were selling the exact same uke for $750 on special order. What I learned when I went to NAMM was that the Chinese factories show their line of instruments and any distribution company can order and put their name on it. That's apparently what Kamoa does.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    What I learned when I went to NAMM was that the Chinese factories show their line of instruments and any distribution company can order and put their name on it. That's apparently what Kamoa does.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

From what I recall, the label inside the sound hole said something like, "Designed in Hawaii."
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    From what I recall, the label inside the sound hole said something like, "Designed in Hawaii."
    The distributor can choose color and configuration that's already available, I wonder if Kamoa considers that "designed" by them.

Thread Information