Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Experimenting

Default Experimenting

I like to experiment, and I have something in mind for a Flea or a Fluke. I'd like to replace the plastic fretboard with a wooden one myself. I had Magic Fluke replace two of them, and they did a beautiful job, but I wanted to see if I could do the swap myself.

There's one hitch: the zero fret. Generic fretboards on Amazon and eBay don't come with a zero fret, so I would have to cut a groove and insert one. Cutting the groove the right width and depth will be a challenge, and I don't plan to spend a fortune on special tools. An alternative would be to forget about the zero fret, replace the nut, and make it a non-zero fret uke. If I actually go ahead with this, I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    An alternative would be to forget about the zero fret, replace the nut, and make it a non-zero fret uke. If I actually go ahead with this, I'll let you know how it turns out.
    That's what I would do...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

I like to experiment, and I have something in mind for a Flea or a Fluke. I'd like to replace the plastic fretboard with a wooden one myself. I had Magic Fluke replace two of them, and they did a beautiful job, but I wanted to see if I could do the swap myself.

There's one hitch: the zero fret. Generic fretboards on Amazon and eBay don't come with a zero fret, so I would have to cut a groove and insert one. Cutting the groove the right width and depth will be a challenge, and I don't plan to spend a fortune on special tools. An alternative would be to forget about the zero fret, replace the nut, and make it a non-zero fret uke. If I actually go ahead with this, I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Bruce Wei sells fretboards and does custom work. Contact him on ebay and ask for one with a zero fret. Shipping is free. They are inlaid, but you could ask for a plain one.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Shippin...YAAOSw~CRTq7nX

Quote Originally Posted by AQUATOPAZ View Post
    Bruce Wei sells fretboards and does custom work. Contact him on ebay and ask for one with a zero fret. Shipping is free. They are inlaid, but you could ask for a plain one.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Shippin...YAAOSw~CRTq7nX
    Thanks. I'll do that.

I'm very curious to see how this project works out. I think it's a brilliant idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziret View Post
    I'm very curious to see how this project works out. I think it's a brilliant idea.
    You'd be amazed at the "brilliant" projects I've started.

Another idea I had was a removable top for the Flea and Fluke - not necessarily the top itself, but an overlay that would change the appearance. Of course, the strings would be in the way, but that's a minor problem. They sell watches like that, letting you change the face and the band.
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 09-01-2019 at 06:52 AM.

Generic fretboards on Amazon and eBay don't come with a zero fret, so I would have to cut a groove and insert one. Cutting the groove the right width and depth will be a challenge, and I don't plan to spend a fortune on special tools. An alternative would be to forget about the zero fret, replace the nut, and make it a non-zero fret uke. If I actually go ahead with this, I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Positioning a zero fret in a slot on a fret board designed to take nut will totally throw off the the rest of the frets, making the instrument unplayable. Use a nut, many options, a Tusq Graph tech would work well.

I admire your sense of adventure and willingness to try stuff like this, Jerry. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned re-entrant gCEA)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned DGBE)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (currently tuned low-octave ADF#B)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

Go the nut route for the reasons PetalumaRescuke said

I think you should really experiment and make a fretless uke!

Thread Information