Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you play guitar too?

Played guitar for 47 years in a previous life. Played acoustic six and twelve string in folk bands/trios/duos for about ten years,then moved to six string electric guitar in rock bands/blues bands/boogie bands for the remainder of the time I played the instrument.I still went back to acoustic twelve string when I felt like it, and often played it at home for my own pleasure.Then I was seriously ill, and for no reason I can work out, I just lost interest in the guitar,and picked up a ukulele! That was twelve years ago,and I have played a guitar once in that time, for ten minutes,to demonstrate something to an aspiring guitarist who was struggling with a particular chord sequence!
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time! (And my beautiful Sopranino!)

Wow! My question has already produced so many interesting responses - thank you all!
    The one thing that shines through is that for most of us, making music has been and remains a lifelong interest; even if the way we do it has changed or adapted. And it seems those who have relatively recently started to play are already 'hooked' into the hobby - whichever instrument(s) they've chosen.
    So many of you are multi-instrumentalists. I think I need to up my game! lol
    Thanks all for responding thus far. I look forward to hearing the stories of others who may answer in due course.
    Luv n stuff, Dave

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1N...SLlEsi_kIIi4zg

* GUITARS
    Freshman Apollo 6 string electro acoustic
    50yr old EKO 12 string jumbo
    American Fender Stratocaster deluxe
    American Gibson SG Special
    Harley Benton TE-40 TBK Deluxe (Telecaster)
    Ibanez GSR200 BASS

* UKES
    Ozark 2035 banjole
    Kmise tenor banjole
    Cordoba 22T-CE Tenor
    Kala KA-CE electro acoustic

* OTHERS
    Kawai KM-10 Grand piano & Technics KN-2000 keyboard

Young Dave, I always enjoy and appreciate the way you add to the UU experience.

I picked up an acoustic guitar about 15 years ago, no musical instrument experience prior to that. I would spend the winter months trying to learn. When golf season started the guitar got put in the closet for 8 months. Then the cycle would start again from December to April with the guitar. Not a good way to learn anything. After about 4 years of that I gave up.

I found the ukulele 5 years ago and enjoyed the social aspect of the uke jams and got hooked. But I always loved the sound of an acoustic guitar so started back at it about 16 months ago and am making decent progress. I play all the time with no breaks except for the hand operation I had end of April. I have just started back playing both instruments about 3 weeks ago. It is a slow and painful recovery but I hope I can get back to my former level of mediocrity
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

I wish you well for a fast and complete recovery my friend. And also for your kind comments about me. Keep enjoying ALL your music and stay awesome! X
    Luv n stuff, Dave

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1N...SLlEsi_kIIi4zg

* GUITARS
    Freshman Apollo 6 string electro acoustic
    50yr old EKO 12 string jumbo
    American Fender Stratocaster deluxe
    American Gibson SG Special
    Harley Benton TE-40 TBK Deluxe (Telecaster)
    Ibanez GSR200 BASS

* UKES
    Ozark 2035 banjole
    Kmise tenor banjole
    Cordoba 22T-CE Tenor
    Kala KA-CE electro acoustic

* OTHERS
    Kawai KM-10 Grand piano & Technics KN-2000 keyboard

I didn't expect that the vast majority here had background in guitar but there we are. Guess that puts me in the minority. I don't think I have even touched a guitar since high school almost twenty years ago. Maybe I'll dabble into it one day, but for now, it's ukes all the way.

I’m in the minority also. I had a guitar when I was about 13, but never learned to play it. My best friend at the time was going to teach me to play, but she moved away & I never learned. I was in the percussion section in high school band. Beyond that, I never played any other instrument or had any formal musical education. I’ve always loved music, but never found an instrument that I wanted to learn until I found the ukulele. I’m totally hooked now.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019
    Kanilea KCS-SSP super soprano - circa 2016

Hi Dave, No formal education of any sort. Taught myself to play guitar but never really learned, so I am lousy but always interested. Picked up ukes and was sold. I am much better and have learned some theory and can see the overlap for all stringed instruments. I enjoy teaching myself how it all works. Still lousy player though, but it is fun and I have sopranos in cases all over the house. I still have two guitars but do not plan to play them much, just can't let go for some reason. Onward!

I started on guitar, way back when I was 14 but dropped it in my early 20s and didn’t even own one again until I was in my mid 40s. Picked up 5 string banjo and uke back around 2004. Uke has taken over for the most part. In fact, within the past 6 months or so, I’ve sold off all my guitars but one. I pretty much only play ukulele now.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

I play guitar, as well as ukulele. I also play five other instruments besides those two. Clarinet, Ocarina, harmonica, piano, and erhu.

I had to stop playing guitar, because my bridge ripped off on its own, and exposed the bridge plate. I don't know if it can be repaired or not. If it can't be repaired, I need to get a new guitar.

The day that happened, all my instruments gathered for a funeral. My ukulele gave the eulogy.

20190820_094517.jpg

I know, that sounds weird, but I was trying to face the fact that my guitar broke. I used humor to get through it.

Jared

What I play is in my signature.
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

Thread Information