Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How many of you play guitar too?

used to play the guitar a few years ago.
    I'm trying to get back to it.
    Played instrumentals (mostly finger picking, ...). I still remember a couple of Carter-style pieces,
    an Irish hornpipe (with a flatpick)...

Quote Originally Posted by S11LKO View Post
    I ask the question because, tinkering with both myself, I thought a lot of others might too.

I know UU is (quite rightly) predominantly a ukulele site, but it does have a guitar section which I post in now and again with the odd video I've done; but it seems that not many others do.

So I just wondered how many of you play both? Did you start with guitar and move onto uke, or vice-versa? Why do you (if such is applicable) prefer to play one over the other? Do you have other sites you use for your guitar stuff?

I love learning about the different skills and preferences of my fellow musos on here, so just thought I'd ask.
    Decades (on and off for years) on guitar; majority acoustic. Then several years on bass. Then ukulele. Now I bounce between the instruments. Quite honestly I could not ever play bass again and be fine with it but I still do because I still have bass's and an amp; actually 2 amps but more like 1 and a half.

Started playing guitar ar 12 or so. Played in bands during high school. Still have two electrics for slide and acoustic but sold four sttats and a tele when I found ukulele during a trip to Hawaii. Stumbled on HMS and haven’t picked up the guitars in last four years. I’m turning 64, this fall and love the Uke. So portable, so much fun. No need for a band, do you own melody and chording all yourself. So glad I found Uke. So portable.

Music has always been in my life and I’m better for it.

Fought with guitars and basses for about 35 years, never reaching the point of feeling as competent as I'd like--then I saw Jake S. live, and decided "I want to do THAT!" I've been playing uke for nearly a decade with very little looking back (though I still have several guitars and play them occasionally, both acoustic and electric).

Again, too many to mention by name, but thanks to everyone who's answering this thread. It's been very enlightening and I hope to 'meet you' all sometime in the guitar section.

And to 'bunnyf' (and anyone else interested, obviously lol) I took your advice and joined the Acoustic Guitar Forum. Early days yet, but thanks for the tip.
    Luv n stuff, Dave

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1N...SLlEsi_kIIi4zg

* GUITARS
    Freshman Apollo 6 string electro acoustic
    50yr old EKO 12 string jumbo
    American Fender Stratocaster deluxe
    American Gibson SG Special
    Harley Benton TE-40 TBK Deluxe (Telecaster)
    Ibanez GSR200 BASS

* UKES
    Ozark 2035 banjole
    Kmise tenor banjole
    Cordoba 22T-CE Tenor
    Kala KA-CE electro acoustic

* OTHERS
    Kawai KM-10 Grand piano & Technics KN-2000 keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by M3Ukulele View Post
    Started playing guitar ar 12 or so. Played in bands during high school. Still have two electrics for slide and acoustic but sold four sttats and a tele when I found ukulele during a trip to Hawaii. Stumbled on HMS and haven’t picked up the guitars in last four years. I’m turning 64, this fall and love the Uke. So portable, so much fun. No need for a band, do you own melody and chording all yourself. So glad I found Uke. So portable.

Music has always been in my life and I’m better for it.
    My experience has been strikingly similar to M3Ukulele's. The portability factor is big for me, as well as the fun of "making it happen" with just those four strings! At age 66, I just love being able to grab that uke and go-- no more hauling, no more set-up, it's so awesome! Got to play for some folks at a local Alzheimer's facility just this afternoon; no amplification whatsoever; just a semi-circle of residents gathered 'round to hear things like "Close To You", "This Guy's In Love With You", "Rainbow Connection", "Wichita Lineman", etc. Pure, simple joy!

Play a little guitar, but not even close to the level on ukulele. Recently I’ve started playing Lap Steel guitar, and really enjoying learning and playing.
    Allan

Frequently Played
    National Triolian
    Godin Multi-Uke
    Kala 5-String
    Martin Style 2
    Koaloha Sceptre
    Other Instruments
    Harmonica, Lap Steel, Flute, Guitar

Been playing guitar since the early '70's (around age 12) and still going. The usual high school bands, playing in bands through college to help with tuition, etc. Still have two Les Pauls (one from early '80's custom shop) an SG, plus a Mossman & a Taylor acoustic. One Sunn & one Supro Corsica amp. Started playing ukulele around 2005 - got hooked on a trip to Oahu with my Dad. Currently two Kamakas & a Martin T1K.

I have been playing ukulele for 3 years, never played guitar previously. A couple of months ago, I got a Pono Guilele. Recently tuned it to E to E. I guess I kinda play guitar now.
    A day without playing uke is a day not well lived.

Joseph

I stopped the day I bought my first uke; the strings I got for my guitar that day are still sealed.

Thread Information