How many of you play guitar too?

used to play the guitar a few years ago.
I'm trying to get back to it.
Played instrumentals (mostly finger picking, ...). I still remember a couple of Carter-style pieces,
an Irish hornpipe (with a flatpick)...

I ask the question because, tinkering with both myself, I thought a lot of others might too.

I know UU is (quite rightly) predominantly a ukulele site, but it does have a guitar section which I post in now and again with the odd video I've done; but it seems that not many others do.

So I just wondered how many of you play both? Did you start with guitar and move onto uke, or vice-versa? Why do you (if such is applicable) prefer to play one over the other? Do you have other sites you use for your guitar stuff?

I love learning about the different skills and preferences of my fellow musos on here, so just thought I'd ask.

Decades (on and off for years) on guitar; majority acoustic. Then several years on bass. Then ukulele. Now I bounce between the instruments. Quite honestly I could not ever play bass again and be fine with it but I still do because I still have bass's and an amp; actually 2 amps but more like 1 and a half.

Started playing guitar ar 12 or so. Played in bands during high school. Still have two electrics for slide and acoustic but sold four sttats and a tele when I found ukulele during a trip to Hawaii. Stumbled on HMS and haven’t picked up the guitars in last four years. I’m turning 64, this fall and love the Uke. So portable, so much fun. No need for a band, do you own melody and chording all yourself. So glad I found Uke. So portable.

Music has always been in my life and I’m better for it.

Fought with guitars and basses for about 35 years, never reaching the point of feeling as competent as I'd like--then I saw Jake S. live, and decided "I want to do THAT!" I've been playing uke for nearly a decade with very little looking back (though I still have several guitars and play them occasionally, both acoustic and electric).

Again, too many to mention by name, but thanks to everyone who's answering this thread. It's been very enlightening and I hope to 'meet you' all sometime in the guitar section.

And to 'bunnyf' (and anyone else interested, obviously lol) I took your advice and joined the Acoustic Guitar Forum. Early days yet, but thanks for the tip.

Started playing guitar ar 12 or so. Played in bands during high school. Still have two electrics for slide and acoustic but sold four sttats and a tele when I found ukulele during a trip to Hawaii. Stumbled on HMS and haven’t picked up the guitars in last four years. I’m turning 64, this fall and love the Uke. So portable, so much fun. No need for a band, do you own melody and chording all yourself. So glad I found Uke. So portable.

Music has always been in my life and I’m better for it.

My experience has been strikingly similar to M3Ukulele's. The portability factor is big for me, as well as the fun of "making it happen" with just those four strings! At age 66, I just love being able to grab that uke and go-- no more hauling, no more set-up, it's so awesome! Got to play for some folks at a local Alzheimer's facility just this afternoon; no amplification whatsoever; just a semi-circle of residents gathered 'round to hear things like "Close To You", "This Guy's In Love With You", "Rainbow Connection", "Wichita Lineman", etc. Pure, simple joy!

Play a little guitar, but not even close to the level on ukulele. Recently I’ve started playing Lap Steel guitar, and really enjoying learning and playing.

Been playing guitar since the early '70's (around age 12) and still going. The usual high school bands, playing in bands through college to help with tuition, etc. Still have two Les Pauls (one from early '80's custom shop) an SG, plus a Mossman & a Taylor acoustic. One Sunn & one Supro Corsica amp. Started playing ukulele around 2005 - got hooked on a trip to Oahu with my Dad. Currently two Kamakas & a Martin T1K.

Started out on clarinet. Injury put an end to that. After decades not playing anything I bought a nylon string guitar. Travelled thru various steel stringed guitars, acoustic & electric, including lap steel, but injury prevented playing to a level where I could enjoy it. Eventually sold everything except the nylon string guitar, didn't find a buyer for it so I still have it. I found baritone ukulele to be suitable for me because of its size, and I now have two.

Recently my wife had a girls party so I fled the house for a few hours. Taking the classical guitar with me, I went to the music shop & bought some cheap strings & sat in the car in a park while I fitted them. I like re-stringing! Am I strange? Played it on & off for a few days but the cheap strings sound so bad it's now back on the shelf.

I love re-stringing too, Bebop! I think it relaxes me! I started out on the ukulele back in 1966, when we got one for Christmas and my big brother was industrious enough to study the instruction booklet that came with it, and showed me how to play a couple of chords. That officially lit the flame, and before long, as I approached high school, I longed to "move up" to the guitar, as it held the promise of someday being in a rock band. I was lucky that this did indeed eventually happen, and I had a huge amount of fun doing it, but a few years ago I heard the uke calling once again, and began appreciating it even more than before. I came to realize that it's not just "a miniature guitar", but, with its re-entrant tuning, it's an entirely different instrument, much as if I were learning the violin or the clarinet. With advancing age, the concept of "grab-and-go" has also become an attractive thing, not to mention just the joy of making music with this modest little instrument-- easy to learn but hard to master!

I like re-stringing! Am I strange?

HaHa! I'm sure you're fine.
But that DOES remind me that I need to clean and restring my 50 year old EKO 12-string. D'oh! I love her, but it takes me forever to get her back in tune after she has her 'new clothes' on! lol

Thanks again EVERYONE for your great responses to this thread. They've been so interesting for me to read.
For me, it's just a shame I don't live closer to many of you as I have no-one here who plays and I'd love to get together musically and see what fun we could have making a noise.
Enjoy your playing WHATEVER instrument(s) 'float your boat'.
Music is a great thing, isn't it?

Played guitar for 50 years, uke the past 4. About a year ago, my hands started to go south on me, trigger finger, neuropathy and/or carpal (numbness), no cause or cure so far, probably won't be. So, guitar became much harder and I had to bow out from our gigging classic rock band after 7 years. They still let me sing and blow the harp on a few tunes when I sometimes show up at their gigs. No more paid gigs, but uke is easier for me to play now, so here I am. I don't miss the 1am load-outs! However, I'm very grateful I can play my fun little ukes! Sold off all my teles, nice tube amps and pedals, now it's the last train to Ukesville :D

Last edited:
Recently my wife had a girls party so I fled the house for a few hours. Taking the classical guitar with me, I went to the music shop & bought some cheap strings & sat in the car in a park while I fitted them. I like re-stringing! Am I strange? Played it on & off for a few days but the cheap strings sound so bad it's now back on the shelf.

I hate re-stringing - all fiddly work actually - but I love playing uke in the car (and fleeing ladies events) so i get where you are coming from

I was actually learning to play the guitar when I found the ukulele, but only for a week or two at the most. My friend was playing classical guitar and I showed up with my wife's old hippie guitar that has been laying in the basement for thirty five years or more. They made fun of my guitar so I bought a ukulele and have had a ball with it. I've though about trying the guitar again. It is just sitting down there. Whenever I start to get serious about it I think that maybe I should just work on getting better at playing the ukulele and not try to divide what time I have to practice between the two. That is pretty much all that keeps me from it.

Top Bottom