How many of you play guitar too?

S11LKO

Reaction score
I ask the question because, tinkering with both myself, I thought a lot of others might too.

I know UU is (quite rightly) predominantly a ukulele site, but it does have a guitar section which I post in now and again with the odd video I've done; but it seems that not many others do.

So I just wondered how many of you play both? Did you start with guitar and move onto uke, or vice-versa? Why do you (if such is applicable) prefer to play one over the other? Do you have other sites you use for your guitar stuff?

I love learning about the different skills and preferences of my fellow musos on here, so just thought I'd ask.

I am a classical guitarist of 30 years and have a fantastic collection of guitars
I started ukulele a few years ago and play chord melody style and read tab
At first it was difficult to go back-and-forth but now it is not a problem at all
Ron

Started with guitar, been playing off and on for ten years. Got a uke for Christmas and it's been a fun little adventure. On the the uke I've been learning more instrumental songs and some theory. Fun so far!

I played guitar and bass in bands for 20+ years. Just bought a decent Kala in June(1st ukulele) and really fell in love with the instrument. With guitar, I kind of stopped learning new songs at some point and just played the same stuff over and over or only played songs of the bands I was in. With ukulele, it's so refreshing to learn something from scratch. I've learned about a dozen songs in my short few months of playing uke(mostly chord melody style fingerpicking). I honestly only got interested when my 2nd kid was born and I had to be quiet at night and even my acoustic guitars were a bit loud in my small house, so I figured I'd take up the ukulele. However, since I bought my uke I've barely touched my guitars. Just ordered a Koaloha ktm-00. Guess you could say I've been bitten hard by the ukulele bug.

The guitar is my main squeeze but I love to dance with its siblings and relatives and mess around with the terz, requinto, ukulele, bass, lute and mandolin. They're all so similar there's very little frustration in learning them and lots of overlap between the instruments. All are a part of the same continuum. I often play two, three or four of them on my tacks. Now my attempts at woodwinds was very humbling and I basically got nuttin' but furt 'n squeak sounds.

Played guitar steadily for years, then seldom for 20 years, and then ukulele for the last 12+ years. Maybe play guitar once or twice a year now.

Hi, young Dave! I play guitar too. I've played electric guitars since I were in college. I have many vintage electric guitars. Thank you for your contribution in guitar section. I know many people play guitars in this server.

I have played guitar since age 12 or 13, and have been playing it ever since (age 65 now). I took up the uke a couple of years ago, for a few reasons. One, it was something new and relatively inexpensive. Two, I became more aware of it with the advent of the internet and particularly Youtube. Three, with age comes stiffness and some tendon damage in a couple of fingers on my left hand, and it's a lot easier stretching across three frets on a uke than it is on guitar. So here I am, working out classical pieces on the baritone uke. Loving every minute of it.

Guitar player here also.

I play guitar (classical, acoustic, electric), bass and guitalele as well.
Not in any professional capacity.

At present, I enjoy ukulele the most out of all these instruments.
My interest has tended to wander to and fro between the instruments.

Personally I think it's quite liberating to make that leap into being able to play both ukulele and guitar.
It opens your eyes to the fact that a majority of discussions regarding whether a certain instrument is a "guitar" or an "uke" to be somewhat irrelevant.

Guitars are big ukuleles which may have a few more strings.
Ukuleles are small guitars with 4 strings.

Some may say that's heresy, but that's how I view them.

Been playing guitar since I was 13, I’m now 58....so 45 years.

Been playing ukes since last January.

I've played guitar since 1966 (& still do), then included mandolin, and finally added Uke to the mix in more recent years.
I added Uke because it's so easy to mess with while watching TV or traveling...

I've played guitar for 20ish years, but I'm very much a strum and sing kind of guy. I'm much more technically proficient on the uke.

I started my musical journey at age 10. I played clarinet and took lessons in the Public School System in New Orleans, La. I played clarinet off and on until my mid 30's when I took up accordion for a year or two. In my thirties I also took up and played tenor and alto sax. I played in the Coast Guard Concert group for awhile before retiring in 1978 at age 40. Still having two children at home I was forced to take on another job as my retirement was nice but not enough for a family of four with school aged children. So I dropped music for awhile except for playing around with the accordion. I loved the accordion but could never be comfortable with the weight and the over powering bass.
At age 59 I think, 1997 I was already back into retirement and bored so I took up guitar for the first time. Learned to strum and play electric guitar with another retired friend, a musician,. We only sang and strummed for fun. Two years later I dropped guitar and took up piano for the first time. I took lessons from a professional for 21 months. Later just a few years ago I decided to take up guitar again along with the piano and found out the horrible truth. My hand and wrist no longer were guitar friendly. So September 2017 I got my first Baritone Ukulele. Later a Tenor Ukulele and lately an Aria guitar with a 20 inch scale. I love and play all three. Baritone being my favorite. I still play piano some. I never played professionally. Music is my hobby and my life.

I started on uke. Then I bought a guitalele. I'm not very good at it yet. Yesterday I played a guitar for the first time. Does that mean I play the guitar? Probably not...

I own a guitar, but I only know how to play a few songs on it.
I had a guitar for like 20 years, ukuleles for four years.
The good thing about ukulele - it is easier for strum and sing purposes. Odd jazzy chords are easier to learn with four strings than six. And is has that particular sound.

I like the guitar too, but as someone else also said, I had stopped learning new songs and only played the same songs when I picked it up. Never practiced enough to develop further. With the uke, progress is quicker.

I played guitar for almost 50 years before I started to play ukulele 6 years ago. A year later I started to play bass uke/mini bass guitar. I hate to disappoint, but since then I haven't touched my guitars and even went so far as to give my nephew my Ibanez AF-85 VS archtop and my Fender Telecaster. I also gave to a couple of people in my Sunday acoustic play-along my Ovation Applause 12 string acoustic and my Ibanez exotic 6 string acoustic, that's how dedicated to the ukulele I am.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I started ukulele about 20 months ago and semi-switched to guitar 10 months ago. I played flute for 10 years as a kid so i could read music and knew some theory before i started. I may switch back to ukulele as my main as i am primarily a singer and i sing much better playing ukulele than guitar as it is somewhat easier. Also all my nieces and nephews play ukulele so family xmas time is a big ukulele party.

Last edited:
I gave up, and sold my Six String, a dozen years ago.
So I once played the guitar — or murdered it might be a better description

Top Bottom