Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How many of you play guitar too?

Started out on clarinet. Injury put an end to that. After decades not playing anything I bought a nylon string guitar. Travelled thru various steel stringed guitars, acoustic & electric, including lap steel, but injury prevented playing to a level where I could enjoy it. Eventually sold everything except the nylon string guitar, didn't find a buyer for it so I still have it. I found baritone ukulele to be suitable for me because of its size, and I now have two.

Recently my wife had a girls party so I fled the house for a few hours. Taking the classical guitar with me, I went to the music shop & bought some cheap strings & sat in the car in a park while I fitted them. I like re-stringing! Am I strange? Played it on & off for a few days but the cheap strings sound so bad it's now back on the shelf.

I love re-stringing too, Bebop! I think it relaxes me! I started out on the ukulele back in 1966, when we got one for Christmas and my big brother was industrious enough to study the instruction booklet that came with it, and showed me how to play a couple of chords. That officially lit the flame, and before long, as I approached high school, I longed to "move up" to the guitar, as it held the promise of someday being in a rock band. I was lucky that this did indeed eventually happen, and I had a huge amount of fun doing it, but a few years ago I heard the uke calling once again, and began appreciating it even more than before. I came to realize that it's not just "a miniature guitar", but, with its re-entrant tuning, it's an entirely different instrument, much as if I were learning the violin or the clarinet. With advancing age, the concept of "grab-and-go" has also become an attractive thing, not to mention just the joy of making music with this modest little instrument-- easy to learn but hard to master!

Quote Originally Posted by ukebebop View Post
    I like re-stringing! Am I strange?
    HaHa! I'm sure you're fine.
    But that DOES remind me that I need to clean and restring my 50 year old EKO 12-string. D'oh! I love her, but it takes me forever to get her back in tune after she has her 'new clothes' on! lol

Thanks again EVERYONE for your great responses to this thread. They've been so interesting for me to read.
    For me, it's just a shame I don't live closer to many of you as I have no-one here who plays and I'd love to get together musically and see what fun we could have making a noise.
    Enjoy your playing WHATEVER instrument(s) 'float your boat'.
    Music is a great thing, isn't it?
    Luv n stuff, Dave

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1N...SLlEsi_kIIi4zg

* GUITARS
    Freshman Apollo 6 string electro acoustic
    50yr old EKO RANGER 12 string
    American Fender Stratocaster deluxe
    American Gibson SG Special
    Harley Benton TE-40 TBK Deluxe (Telecaster)
    Ibanez GSR200 BASS

* UKES
    Ozark 2035 banjole
    Kmise tenor banjole
    Cordoba 22T-CE Tenor
    Kala KA-CE electro acoustic

* OTHERS
    Kawai KM-10 Grand piano & Technics KN-2000 keyboard

Music certainly is a great thing, Dave, and it would be hard to imagine life without it!

Played guitar for 50 years, uke the past 4. About a year ago, my hands started to go south on me, trigger finger, neuropathy and/or carpal (numbness), no cause or cure so far, probably won't be. So, guitar became much harder and I had to bow out from our gigging classic rock band after 7 years. They still let me sing and blow the harp on a few tunes when I sometimes show up at their gigs. No more paid gigs, but uke is easier for me to play now, so here I am. I don't miss the 1am load-outs! However, I'm very grateful I can play my fun little ukes! Sold off all my teles, nice tube amps and pedals, now it's the last train to Ukesville
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 09-09-2019 at 10:44 AM.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ukebebop View Post

Recently my wife had a girls party so I fled the house for a few hours. Taking the classical guitar with me, I went to the music shop & bought some cheap strings & sat in the car in a park while I fitted them. I like re-stringing! Am I strange? Played it on & off for a few days but the cheap strings sound so bad it's now back on the shelf.
    I hate re-stringing - all fiddly work actually - but I love playing uke in the car (and fleeing ladies events) so i get where you are coming from

I was actually learning to play the guitar when I found the ukulele, but only for a week or two at the most. My friend was playing classical guitar and I showed up with my wife's old hippie guitar that has been laying in the basement for thirty five years or more. They made fun of my guitar so I bought a ukulele and have had a ball with it. I've though about trying the guitar again. It is just sitting down there. Whenever I start to get serious about it I think that maybe I should just work on getting better at playing the ukulele and not try to divide what time I have to practice between the two. That is pretty much all that keeps me from it.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Thread Information