Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome - how many do you own?

Ggumpster

Reaction score
During one of his gigs James Hill said that he suffers from Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome. My significant other confirms that I have it which I refute bitterly :). We are off to a Uke festival this coming weekend in Yeovil, UK and she asked me which of my 8 instruments I’d be taking.
She suggested that other attendees would have no problem making such a decision as they probably only own one or maybe two.
I naturally disagreed and suggested my situation was the norm. I am probably wrong and do suffer from UAS, May I ask how many you own? Thank you.

I used to have it, but I realized I'm a player and not a collector. I am also very attached to my instrument. I don't like to play strange instruments. So I sold everything and now I just have two good ukuleles. One is re-entrant tuned and the other is linear. If I had any more I wouldn't play them. So why have them? In case anyone's curious, I have a spruce Kamaka for the brighter re-entrant stuff and a custom Rob Collins for my warmer linear needs.

I have no problem with UAS. I currently own a mere twenty-three soprano ukes and find that perfectly adequate. I have no plans to acquire any more.

Well, that is, apart from........................................

My name is John Colter and I am a ukaholic.

If you look below I have 19 at the present time. I’ve had a lot more in the the past, I am in recovery......sorta, kinda :music:

Talking of Ukes and your Wife how about putting the shoe on the other foot.

How much/many does she have:-

Shoes
Handbags
Hats
Make up
Jewellery

After all she can only wear or use one item at a time.

You may want to beat a hasty retreat shortly after raising the matter.

My Mrs has about:-

30 pairs of shoes
12 handbags
20 hats
Enough jewellery to fill a retail shoe

Oh that does not include the hat she bought yesterday and the six books she will no doubt buy today to go with the 1800 books she already owns.

I'm almost ashamed to say that I am back up to sixty. I was glad that I sold a few, but then I saw some more that I had to have. My problem (Yes, it is a problem) is that when I see something beautiful or unusual, I have to have it. The fancy ones from the great builders don't tempt me, fortunately, but I like my Bonanza Oreo and Eddy Finn Camp uke because they're different. Included in that count are some cigar box builds and old cheapies that I was given or bought. Storage is a problem, as is finding the one I want, but all cases have labels on them. I am waiting for two more to arrive, but I included them in the total. The link below shows all that I have now, but it seems there's one missing (I don't count the uke concerted into a clock in the total).

As someone said recently, I'm no Jake Shimabukuro, but I do enjoy playing at my own level, especially in a group.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wYrpuZMPU6hFkgVi7

Label - Laminated.jpg

Last edited:
Talking of Ukes and your Wife how about putting the shoe on the other foot.

Funny! When my aunt passed away, we cleaned out her house, and she must have had a hundred wigs, many still in their unopened boxes. Her real hair was fine, but she liked to get different hair styles at a moment's notice.

I'm almost ashamed to say that I am back up to sixty. I was glad that I sold a few, but then I saw some more that I had to have. My problem (Yes, it is a problem) is that when I see something beautiful or unusual, I have to have it. The fancy ones from the great builders don't tempt me, fortunately, but I like my Bonanza Oreo and Eddy Finn Camp uke because they're different. Included in that count are some cigar box builds and old cheapies that I was given or bought. Storage is a problem, as is finding the one I want, but all cases have labels on them. I am waiting for two more to arrive, but I included them in the total. The link below shows all that I have now, but it seems there's one missing (I don't count the uke concerted into a clock in the total).

As someone said recently, I'm no Jake Shimabukuro, but I do enjoy playing at my own level, especially in a group.

View attachment 121018

A collection to be well proud of Jerry.

Fabulous.

I definitely have UAS even though I don't own that many ukes. Instead, I'm constantly upgrading and selling my previous ones. Went from Kala KA-C to a Kala solid spruce top concert (can't remember the actual model) and Kala Shark Soprano to a Ohana SK-25 to a Martin S1 in mere months. I also had a cheapo Thomann / Harley Benton ukulele banjo but replaced it quickly with a Gold Tone Little Gem because the Harley Benton had awfully sharp frets which made playing it actually damage my fingernails. Now I'm even trying to sell the Kala spruce concert because I don't really play it much anymore as I like sopranos much more. Also, since I'm not a 100% happy with the Martin S1 (only like 98% happy ;) ) I'm considering commissioning a local luthier to build me a soprano. If I do I'll still keep the Martin as a travel uke, which would bring my tally up to three or four depending on if I can sell the concert.

Anyway, if I didn't get rid of my previous ukes, I wouldn't hear the end of it from the missus. Also, I don't really have a place to store them anyway...

I have AS but my budget keeps me under control, I only have two ukuleles. One tenor, high G and one baritone. I may buy a second tenor for low G. I also am currently trying to make up my mind about a 20 inch scale baritone size guitalele.

View attachment 121018

Man I hope you are covered for those ukes on your insurance! You easily have to have tens of thousands dollars worth of ukes there!

Somehow I've accumulated four. I could probably get along well enough with two, but I'm not going to get rid of any.

I've got six. I really should rehome a few because I rarely play them. Two is perhaps enough for me: one strung high, the other low.

I somehow accumulated 5 and I never thought I'd have that many. My excuse is that several times over the last few years I was selling off a bunch of my old stuff and ended up with sizable balances in my PayPal account. Since I considered this "fun money" and wasn't spending it on other things/hobbies I bought ukes with it. I play all 5 so none of them are being neglected. I've kind of got my eye on a 6th which would be different from everything I currently have but I'm having a hard time reconciling another buy. I'm kind of getting an itch to sell off another bunch of stuff and I'd probably easily end up with a PayPal balance that would cover that uke. I'll have to see how I'll feel when I get there. I'm fine with 5 but 6 would be it for me. I have no desire for anything else!

I have 11 (all listed in my signature). I've probably cycled through more than that many more. Can't play tenor or baritone because the stretches are too much.

Two were gifts (one is now wall art). One is a unitasker (the Firefly). One was supposed to be a unitasker (the Makala with the pickup) but it plays surprisingly well for the money and is my travel/take to gig uke.

My two most recent acquisitions were larks. I've wanted one of the Nunes-style Ohanas since they were introduced and found a really fine buy here on the Marketplace. I play it all the time now.

The Mauna Loa was another lark: cheap on eBay, play it if a luthier could fix it for not much money, hang it on the wall if he/she couldn't. I wanted an old uke and was hoping to find one for less than a Martin would cost. It works OK but -- even though it's a laminate -- the solid-wood neck dried out over the years and the frets have sprouted slightly. I'm keeping it in the humidifier for a few more months, hoping the neck will rehydrate and I can play it regularly.

I still have the urge to buy one with a resonator or an actual vintage Martin or maybe a Ken Timms. For now, my UAS is under control. For now ...

View attachment 121018

You also have a weakness for Flukes, which are not rare and unusual. They become your projects so I guess you have a weakness for uke projects.

In my first year of playing uke 6 years ago, I accumulated 16, all reentrant tenor cutaways. Then I culled them down to 4. Then I added bass uke and am totally into BUAS with 25. I also have slowly moved up to 9 ukes as well, but since I have room for only 8 in my humidified display cabinet, that keeps me in check (the 9th, a Fluke, hangs on a stand in reach). I got up to 25 basses because they hang on a wall in my office/music room that can fit a lot, but I seem to be satisfied at 25, so far.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

In 2.5 years of playing, I've been through about 15. The most I had at one time was 5.....ok maybe 6. I currently have 4, and find that's a perfect number for me. When I'm tempted by a new uke, I force myself to decide which one of the 4 I'd have to get rid of to keep the number at 4. If the answer is "I don't want to part with any at this time," then I don't buy a new one. If I can decide on one to sell, then I buy the new one.

About 1,000... but you are welcome to buy any of them.
(yes, yes I know I make that joke every time)

Personally I own personally about 10 if you don't count my vintage fixer-uppers just for fun. I would probably own more except I am able to fill my ukulele love bucket with ukulele orders I am setting up. I always say, "I love 'em and leave 'em"!

Top Bottom