Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome - how many do you own?

Default Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome - how many do you own?

During one of his gigs James Hill said that he suffers from Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome. My significant other confirms that I have it which I refute bitterly :-). We are off to a Uke festival this coming weekend in Yeovil, UK and she asked me which of my 8 instruments Id be taking.
    She suggested that other attendees would have no problem making such a decision as they probably only own one or maybe two.
    I naturally disagreed and suggested my situation was the norm. I am probably wrong and do suffer from UAS, May I ask how many you own? Thank you.

I used to have it, but I realized I'm a player and not a collector. I am also very attached to my instrument. I don't like to play strange instruments. So I sold everything and now I just have two good ukuleles. One is re-entrant tuned and the other is linear. If I had any more I wouldn't play them. So why have them? In case anyone's curious, I have a spruce Kamaka for the brighter re-entrant stuff and a custom Rob Collins for my warmer linear needs.

I have no problem with UAS. I currently own a mere twenty-three soprano ukes and find that perfectly adequate. I have no plans to acquire any more.

Well, that is, apart from........................................

My name is John Colter and I am a ukaholic.

If you look below I have 19 at the present time. Ive had a lot more in the the past, I am in recovery......sorta, kinda
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Talking of Ukes and your Wife how about putting the shoe on the other foot.

How much/many does she have:-

Shoes
    Handbags
    Hats
    Make up
    Jewellery

After all she can only wear or use one item at a time.

You may want to beat a hasty retreat shortly after raising the matter.

My Mrs has about:-

30 pairs of shoes
    12 handbags
    20 hats
    Enough jewellery to fill a retail shoe

Oh that does not include the hat she bought yesterday and the six books she will no doubt buy today to go with the 1800 books she already owns.
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

I'm almost ashamed to say that I am back up to sixty. I was glad that I sold a few, but then I saw some more that I had to have. My problem (Yes, it is a problem) is that when I see something beautiful or unusual, I have to have it. The fancy ones from the great builders don't tempt me, fortunately, but I like my Bonanza Oreo and Eddy Finn Camp uke because they're different. Included in that count are some cigar box builds and old cheapies that I was given or bought. Storage is a problem, as is finding the one I want, but all cases have labels on them. I am waiting for two more to arrive, but I included them in the total. The link below shows all that I have now, but it seems there's one missing (I don't count the uke concerted into a clock in the total).

As someone said recently, I'm no Jake Shimabukuro, but I do enjoy playing at my own level, especially in a group.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wYrpuZMPU6hFkgVi7

Label - Laminated.jpg
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 09-02-2019 at 11:29 AM.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

[QUOTE=Col50;2176435]Talking of Ukes and your Wife how about putting the shoe on the other foot.

Funny! When my aunt passed away, we cleaned out her house, and she must have had a hundred wigs, many still in their unopened boxes. Her real hair was fine, but she liked to get different hair styles at a moment's notice.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I'm almost ashamed to say that I am back up to sixty. I was glad that I sold a few, but then I saw some more that I had to have. My problem (Yes, it is a problem) is that when I see something beautiful or unusual, I have to have it. The fancy ones from the great builders don't tempt me, fortunately, but I like my Bonanza Oreo and Eddy Finn Camp uke because they're different. Included in that count are some cigar box builds and old cheapies that I was given or bought. Storage is a problem, as is finding the one I want, but all cases have labels on them. I am waiting for two more to arrive, but I included them in the total. The link below shows all that I have now, but it seems there's one missing (I don't count the uke concerted into a clock in the total).

As someone said recently, I'm no Jake Shimabukuro, but I do enjoy playing at my own level, especially in a group.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wYrpuZMPU6hFkgVi7

Label - Laminated.jpg
    A collection to be well proud of Jerry.

Fabulous.
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

I definitely have UAS even though I don't own that many ukes. Instead, I'm constantly upgrading and selling my previous ones. Went from Kala KA-C to a Kala solid spruce top concert (can't remember the actual model) and Kala Shark Soprano to a Ohana SK-25 to a Martin S1 in mere months. I also had a cheapo Thomann / Harley Benton ukulele banjo but replaced it quickly with a Gold Tone Little Gem because the Harley Benton had awfully sharp frets which made playing it actually damage my fingernails. Now I'm even trying to sell the Kala spruce concert because I don't really play it much anymore as I like sopranos much more. Also, since I'm not a 100% happy with the Martin S1 (only like 98% happy ) I'm considering commissioning a local luthier to build me a soprano. If I do I'll still keep the Martin as a travel uke, which would bring my tally up to three or four depending on if I can sell the concert.

Anyway, if I didn't get rid of my previous ukes, I wouldn't hear the end of it from the missus. Also, I don't really have a place to store them anyway...

I have AS but my budget keeps me under control, I only have two ukuleles. One tenor, high G and one baritone. I may buy a second tenor for low G. I also am currently trying to make up my mind about a 20 inch scale baritone size guitalele.

Thread Information