Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome - how many do you own?

There was a time that I had 35 but I am now down to 15: two Vintage Martin tenors, two KoAloha tenors (one 6-string), Two Pineapple Sundays, Kiwaya soprano, Kamaka Tenor, UkeSA Banger, UkeSA Wow, Vintage Martin soprano, KoAloha Concert, KoAloha soprano, KoAlana soprano, and Kala travel concert. Still too many. Selling one Vintage Martin Tenor now, and thinking of selling KoAloha concert and Vintage Martin soprano. I truly believe that with the addition of a Kanile'a tenor, my UAS would be cured :)

I'm slumming it with 14 (technically 15, but plan to sell it). I'm just at the beginning of my recent climb. My goal is to have a Tenor from each of the Hawaiian K's for playing (to include some long neck concerts) and then just collect soprano's that interest me, are trending or are unusual. I get mental when things that are worn or dinged, so all my ukulele's are mint, well, besides my Martin and Dubarry.

A couple dozen, give or take a few. I'd have to take inventory to get an exact number. Only three or four get played regularly.

Well, every time my wife tells me I have to many ukuleles, I show her all of Jerry's NUD threads and then show her the posts where he states how many he has. Now, with this thread, I can prove to her I don't really have UAS as bad as you guys. :cool:

Jim

Good question. I had to check my signature so that I could count them.

The answer is eleven.

I definitely had UAS. I was trying out different sizes, different necks, different brands, and trying to find what worked for me.

I've got a better feel now for what works for me, and have everything that was on my wish list, (minus the ones I tried and resold, because they didn't work for me), so unless something new comes along to stir up my UAS, I think my UAS is currently in remission. (I know better than to say that it's completely cured. LOL.)

I ended up with more than I meant to, but so far, don't have any candidates for rehoming, so I'm enjoying them all. I do play them all regularly.

Right now I have 5:

A standard Concert
A standard Tenor (my go to)
A Tenor strung to play an octave lower than standard
An 8 string Tenor
A Banjolele Tenor

All play and sound different

My wish list includes two more
A Baritone
A 5 string Tenor with a sound hole ‘on top’ so that I can hear my own playing — with radiused fret board and Zero Fret

There is an important aspect of Gear Acquisition Syndrome that is well known in the guitar community. And that is, when you pass away, be sure to leave some type of instruction for your spouse so that they don't sell off your instruments for what you claimed you paid for them.

No poll?

Once I made a post like this, that had a poll.
Options were
2-4
5-9
10-16
16-27
27+

As far as I remember, 5-9 was the most common.

Personally I have 6 ukuleles at the moment.
I like the idea of ideally trimning it to 2-4 ukuleles, but I would need to find the right ones.

Top Bottom