Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome - how many do you own?

Coming from the guitar world I am well acquainted with Gear Acquisition Syndrome. And I find it almost frightening how easy it is to get sucked into this with ukes. Guitars are big, and good ones are not cheap, costing thousands - so most players I know don't own more than two or three (I have two acoustic and one electric). But ukes are tiny, easy to store, and good ones are available for just a few hundred.

So far I've stopped at four, but the latest Bonanza offering may change that.

Coming from the guitar world I am well acquainted with Gear Acquisition Syndrome. And I find it almost frightening how easy it is to get sucked into this with ukes. Guitars are big, and good ones are not cheap, costing thousands - so most players I know don't own more than two or three (I have two acoustic and one electric). But ukes are tiny, easy to store, and good ones are available for just a few hundred.

So far I've stopped at four, but the latest Bonanza offering may change that.

OOH, I forgot Bonanzas. The Oreo concept is mesmerizing ... and now that Pete is supposed to be making his own necks rather than buying them ...

Between my wife and I, we have 44. (I keep a spreadsheet.)

However, I should note that this counts absolutely *everything*, including:
- Three plastic ukuleles we received for free on a cruise once
- Some things that are technically ukuleles in that you could play them if you had to, but the intonation and action are so terrible that I wouldn't wish them on anyone (including the really really terrible first ukulele I ever purchased.) These should really be called "ukulele shaped objects"
- Several instruments that we are planning to sell
- Instruments we don't play very often but keep for sentimental reasons (such as my first decent uke which I almost never touch, but it was what I learned on so it is hard to part with)
- Daily strummers
- Really nice things (like the Pineapple Sunday)
- Niche instruments (like our one banjolele and one resonator or the Makala Shark that is tuned like a mandolin)
- Travel instruments (Risa stick)

They all add up. If we ignore the stuff that cost virtually nothing and the stuff we plan to re-home in the near future, there are maybe 24 that really "count", so it isn't quite as bad as it seems.

Or at least that I what I tell myself...

16 Ukuleles and 6 Guitars......... OMG ��
Stated in the best fashion possible on the inside of my Bonanza Oreo Baritone ..... Music Soothes the Soul. ��

Cheers,

Steve.

Between my wife and I, we have 44. (I keep a spreadsheet.)

However, I should note that this counts absolutely *everything*, including:
- Three plastic ukuleles we received for free on a cruise once
- Some things that are technically ukuleles in that you could play them if you had to, but the intonation and action are so terrible that I wouldn't wish them on anyone (including the really really terrible first ukulele I ever purchased.) These should really be called "ukulele shaped objects"
- Several instruments that we are planning to sell
- Instruments we don't play very often but keep for sentimental reasons (such as my first decent uke which I almost never touch, but it was what I learned on so it is hard to part with)
- Daily strummers
- Really nice things (like the Pineapple Sunday)
- Niche instruments (like our one banjolele and one resonator or the Makala Shark that is tuned like a mandolin)
- Travel instruments (Risa stick)

They all add up. If we ignore the stuff that cost virtually nothing and the stuff we plan to re-home in the near future, there are maybe 24 that really "count", so it isn't quite as bad as it seems.

Or at least that I what I tell myself...

Why keep the ukulele shaped objects and plastic ukes?

Why keep the ukulele shaped objects and plastic ukes?

Several of them are not long for this world, to tell the truth. The ones that are at least passable are going to be donated and the truly useless ones will probably end up at the curb.

The plastic ukes have a story attached. My wife and I had only recently started playing in early 2017, when we booked a cabin on the JoCo cruise. This is a cruise organized by Jonathon Coulton, a singer-songwriter from the East coast. It is a week of gaming, music, and all things geeky, but at sea. We debated long and hard about bringing our ukuleles (at the time we owned only 3, one terrible and two decent ones.) In the end, since we had to fly across the country, we decided to leave them at home. After all, there would be professional musicians playing all week, why would we be playing? (This was our first time on the JoCo cruise.)

Once we were in line to board the ship, we realized our mistake. Many of our fellow passengers had brought instruments of all shapes and sizes; ukes, guitars, banjos, melodicas, all kinds of stuff. We were pretty bummed that we had not. When we reached our cabin, there were two plain white cardboard boxes, in that distinctive trapezoidal shape.They were blue plastic ukuleles. We learned later in the week that they were provided to all of the passengers by one of the guys who invented Cards Against Humanity. He didn't play an instrument himself, but wanted to encourage music onboard. They aren't much, but we had an amazing time with them that week on the ship.

They don't take up much space, but they are a nice reminder of that trip. We learned a lot about playing that week from Molly Lewis, a musician who was running the "Ukulele Melee" onboard. By the end of the week, she had taught nearly two hundred of us to play "Hungry Like the Wolf" for Paul Sabourin (of Paul and Storm.) It was his birthday on the last sea day, and he *hated* that song. :)

I would say I have UAS but am restricted by budget and a wife who would... not disapprove, but be perhaps a little disappointed.

Currently three - my first (a bamboo concert), a Makala tenor and a cheap soprano which is specifically for chucking in the car and taking away with us.

I will be getting more (I need a decent soprano, and an electro plus i want to build a solid body steel string - oh, and a bass, of course) but not for a little while.

I disclaim UAS. I can neither justify it or afford it. That's the one thing I think sucks about being retired.
I have 3, one's a wallhanger with about 20 signatures on it. One is a recent purchase from Mim, a Gold Tone banjouke that I really like. One's a go to, and one is a backup/loaner.
I don't plan to buy anymore.....this year. Maybe I'll be a lot better player by the time I can afford another....
Last few days I'm too stressed from hurricane anxiety to play much.

I disclaim UAS. I can neither justify it or afford it. That's the one thing I think sucks about being retired.
I have 3, one's a wallhanger with about 20 signatures on it. One is a recent purchase from Mim, a Gold Tone banjouke that I really like. One's a go to, and one is a backup/loaner.
I don't plan to buy anymore.....this year. Maybe I'll be a lot better player by the time I can afford another....

Nickie, we are all wishing you well as Dorian approaches! Be safe and God bless!

Several of them are not long for this world, to tell the truth. The ones that are at least passable are going to be donated and the truly useless ones will probably end up at the curb.

The plastic ukes have a story attached. My wife and I had only recently started playing in early 2017, when we booked a cabin on the JoCo cruise. This is a cruise organized by Jonathon Coulton, a singer-songwriter from the East coast. It is a week of gaming, music, and all things geeky, but at sea. We debated long and hard about bringing our ukuleles (at the time we owned only 3, one terrible and two decent ones.) In the end, since we had to fly across the country, we decided to leave them at home. After all, there would be professional musicians playing all week, why would we be playing? (This was our first time on the JoCo cruise.)

Once we were in line to board the ship, we realized our mistake. Many of our fellow passengers had brought instruments of all shapes and sizes; ukes, guitars, banjos, melodicas, all kinds of stuff. We were pretty bummed that we had not. When we reached our cabin, there were two plain white cardboard boxes, in that distinctive trapezoidal shape.They were blue plastic ukuleles. We learned later in the week that they were provided to all of the passengers by one of the guys who invented Cards Against Humanity. He didn't play an instrument himself, but wanted to encourage music onboard. They aren't much, but we had an amazing time with them that week on the ship.

They don't take up much space, but they are a nice reminder of that trip. We learned a lot about playing that week from Molly Lewis, a musician who was running the "Ukulele Melee" onboard. By the end of the week, she had taught nearly two hundred of us to play "Hungry Like the Wolf" for Paul Sabourin (of Paul and Storm.) It was his birthday on the last sea day, and he *hated* that song. :)

What a great story. I should look up that cruise. It sounds like tons of fun.

That was 4. Stay safe and play something to relieve the stress.

The number is in flux. I hope to thin the herd. It's 17 but could be considered higher. However my grandson has asked for a few ukuleles I was no longer interested in. These include a Kala travel soprano, Ohana 5 String Tenor and a Bonanza Oreo Baritone body with a Tenor Scale. I am planning to sell a couple of electric sopranos and a couple of tenors soon. I will probably give one of the tenors away (a Luna laminate).

That was 4. Stay safe and play something to relieve the stress.

Doh!
I wasn't counting the banjouke, I guess I shouldn't have mentioned it....it's not really an ukulele...
I'm beginning to relax, but I really feel for the Bahamas. Since the cruise lines own a lot of it, I hope they pitch in to fix it up. Even the shape of the islands have changed!

I have 54 in the house at the moment, but only 44 are actually mine. A lot of them are novelty items, really, such as the sopranissimos.

But if there was a fire, there's probably only 5 or 6 that i would try to save, and a couple more that I would reorder after the fire. So if I had to, I could get to 10.

I don't have to, however. And all of my ukuleles still cost less than my tuba.

Has the OP replied to the thread yet? His significant other must have banned him from UU cos this place is heavily infested with UAS patients and UAS is a deadly infectious virus.

I have too many.

I have satisfied my curiosity about different woods and makers. It's time to move some of my earlier acquisitions out because I'm out of room. But it's really difficult deciding which ones I can live without. Which ones I will miss, but can part with. Which ones I will keep to the bitter end.

Stay safe Nickie. Maybe play some of Daniel Ward's Meditations to relieve some of the stress. Best of luck to you and yours.

Definitely had UAS when I started out, but along the way, I gave away 6 of my earlier purchases so that others might enjoy the uke - however, I was most certainly looking for that something that is hard to describe, & I still ended up with 17, of which I mainly play only a few.

My UAS stopped when I found the tenor necked concert - I bought a good quality KoAloha Opio acacia, to join my recently purchased Ohana solid mahogany tenor necked concert, & my Ohana tenor necked solid mahogany soprano.

Other than these 3, I would want to keep my solid acacia Kala concert, my Baton Rouge solid spruce concert with MiSi pickup, & my Ohana concert necked solid mahogany soprano.

I love the tone of my Kala cedar top baritone, but I find the scale just too much for me, unfortunately, so I stick with tenor & concert scale ukes.

P.S. Originally I thought that I would like electro ukes, but found that I prefer acoustic, so my electrics don't get much play at all these days.

Last edited:
Top Bottom