Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome - how many do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I'm almost ashamed to say that I am back up to sixty. I was glad that I sold a few, but then I saw some more that I had to have. My problem (Yes, it is a problem) is that when I see something beautiful or unusual, I have to have it. The fancy ones from the great builders don't tempt me, fortunately, but I like my Bonanza Oreo and Eddy Finn Camp uke because they're different. Included in that count are some cigar box builds and old cheapies that I was given or bought. Storage is a problem, as is finding the one I want, but all cases have labels on them. I am waiting for two more to arrive, but I included them in the total. The link below shows all that I have now, but it seems there's one missing (I don't count the uke concerted into a clock in the total).

As someone said recently, I'm no Jake Shimabukuro, but I do enjoy playing at my own level, especially in a group.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wYrpuZMPU6hFkgVi7

Attachment 121018
    Man I hope you are covered for those ukes on your insurance! You easily have to have tens of thousands dollars worth of ukes there!
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

Somehow I've accumulated four. I could probably get along well enough with two, but I'm not going to get rid of any.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I've got six. I really should rehome a few because I rarely play them. Two is perhaps enough for me: one strung high, the other low.

I somehow accumulated 5 and I never thought I'd have that many. My excuse is that several times over the last few years I was selling off a bunch of my old stuff and ended up with sizable balances in my PayPal account. Since I considered this "fun money" and wasn't spending it on other things/hobbies I bought ukes with it. I play all 5 so none of them are being neglected. I've kind of got my eye on a 6th which would be different from everything I currently have but I'm having a hard time reconciling another buy. I'm kind of getting an itch to sell off another bunch of stuff and I'd probably easily end up with a PayPal balance that would cover that uke. I'll have to see how I'll feel when I get there. I'm fine with 5 but 6 would be it for me. I have no desire for anything else!
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

I have 11 (all listed in my signature). I've probably cycled through more than that many more. Can't play tenor or baritone because the stretches are too much.

Two were gifts (one is now wall art). One is a unitasker (the Firefly). One was supposed to be a unitasker (the Makala with the pickup) but it plays surprisingly well for the money and is my travel/take to gig uke.

My two most recent acquisitions were larks. I've wanted one of the Nunes-style Ohanas since they were introduced and found a really fine buy here on the Marketplace. I play it all the time now.

The Mauna Loa was another lark: cheap on eBay, play it if a luthier could fix it for not much money, hang it on the wall if he/she couldn't. I wanted an old uke and was hoping to find one for less than a Martin would cost. It works OK but -- even though it's a laminate -- the solid-wood neck dried out over the years and the frets have sprouted slightly. I'm keeping it in the humidifier for a few more months, hoping the neck will rehydrate and I can play it regularly.

I still have the urge to buy one with a resonator or an actual vintage Martin or maybe a Ken Timms. For now, my UAS is under control. For now ...
    The site truncates my signature so I can't tell you

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I'm almost ashamed to say that I am back up to sixty. I was glad that I sold a few, but then I saw some more that I had to have. My problem (Yes, it is a problem) is that when I see something beautiful or unusual, I have to have it. The fancy ones from the great builders don't tempt me, fortunately, but I like my Bonanza Oreo and Eddy Finn Camp uke because they're different. Included in that count are some cigar box builds and old cheapies that I was given or bought. Storage is a problem, as is finding the one I want, but all cases have labels on them. I am waiting for two more to arrive, but I included them in the total. The link below shows all that I have now, but it seems there's one missing (I don't count the uke concerted into a clock in the total).

As someone said recently, I'm no Jake Shimabukuro, but I do enjoy playing at my own level, especially in a group.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wYrpuZMPU6hFkgVi7

Attachment 121018
    You also have a weakness for Flukes, which are not rare and unusual. They become your projects so I guess you have a weakness for uke projects.

Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post
    Rather more than eight. Eight doesn't even cover all the tunings I use. Starting out, I'd already anticipated that I'd need four to "cover the bases."
    What are those tunings?

In my first year of playing uke 6 years ago, I accumulated 16, all reentrant tenor cutaways. Then I culled them down to 4. Then I added bass uke and am totally into BUAS with 25. I also have slowly moved up to 9 ukes as well, but since I have room for only 8 in my humidified display cabinet, that keeps me in check (the 9th, a Fluke, hangs on a stand in reach). I got up to 25 basses because they hang on a wall in my office/music room that can fit a lot, but I seem to be satisfied at 25, so far.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

In 2.5 years of playing, I've been through about 15. The most I had at one time was 5.....ok maybe 6. I currently have 4, and find that's a perfect number for me. When I'm tempted by a new uke, I force myself to decide which one of the 4 I'd have to get rid of to keep the number at 4. If the answer is "I don't want to part with any at this time," then I don't buy a new one. If I can decide on one to sell, then I buy the new one.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

About 1,000... but you are welcome to buy any of them.
    (yes, yes I know I make that joke every time)

Personally I own personally about 10 if you don't count my vintage fixer-uppers just for fun. I would probably own more except I am able to fill my ukulele love bucket with ukulele orders I am setting up. I always say, "I love 'em and leave 'em"!
    www.mimsukes.com... facebook... twitter... Youtube: For Fun... Youtube: Business...
    You're an awesome maniac! -Mark Stay weird, Mim. -RichM
    ...perhaps your quality expectation looks different from me. -PK

Thread Information