It's a Finnish invasion!

Dohle

Reaction score
Hello there!

After seeing the introduction threads of a couple of my fellow Finns, I finally decided to make my own. Been lurking on the forums for some time now so I thought it was about time I join properly. :)

I've been playing the uke only for about eight months now but I feel I've progressed decently, especially considering I don't have prior experience in string instruments (as opposed to lots of other people here). Instead, my background in music, for the longest time, was the piano, although prior to starting to play the uke I hadn't touched even the piano (or any instrument, for that matter) in over a decade. Maybe that's the reason I've been so excited in learning a new instrument. The excitement has also intensified the dreaded Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome, as I've very quickly progressed from a few different mid-range Kala and Ohana ukes to a Martin S1. Unfortunately, while I really like the S1, I cannot get over the fact that the fretboard just doesn't look as good after Martin decided to start manufacturing them from sipo instead of rosewood, which makes the uke look too monotone regarding the colour. Personally, I prefer my ukes to have at least some contrast in their looks. So, it seems the hunt for that one ukulele that will annihilate my UAS continues.

Here's hoping the recent ukulele boom continues as well. It's really nice to see this lovely instrument is making headway and starting to get the recognition it deserves in the music sphere all over the place. In a relatively short amount of time, I've seen several new festivals and other events dedicated to the uke pop up. It feels like I've embarked on an adventure, and I don't want it to stop. :)

Cheers

Welcome. You sound like you fit right in. In my first year playing uke 6 years ago after playing guitar for almost 50 years, I went through 16 ukuleles. I'm down to 9 now, but also took up the bass uke and I'm up to 25 of those. I love UAS.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Hi, welcome Dohle!

Jarmo_S is Finnish. He is a leader of ESL (English as second language) class and music theory class in this forum.

Top Bottom