A Ukulele Made from Grass

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I bought a bamboo soprano and a bamboo concert in early 2014 - they are very, very nice, especially the soprano (a Paulele from Mim). Maybe I should buy this tenor. :D

This is a solid top (in thickness, as bamboo is made up of a bunch of long sticks glued together). Cordoba had a soprano solid bamboo top, but they discontinued it very soon. Luna produces laminate bamboo ones.

Eugenio

If they made that in a cutaway, I'd buy it in a second. I know that bamboo is a very durable, almost impervious material, I'd use it for my knock around uke instead of the used Fluke I bought, which I find uncomfortable to play because of the neck shape.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

This is a solid top (in thickness, as bamboo is made up of a bunch of long sticks glued together).

I've never tried a bamboo uke. I don't have a problem with the concept. But I do have a problem with anyone claiming to make an instrument (unless it's a flute) of "solid bamboo". To get a flat surface of bamboo, you have to apply a lot of compression and glue, something that it not true of other "solid wood" instruments. Maybe it's not technically a "laminate" either but calling it "solid" is deceptive at best.

Regarding the particular instrument linked here, i have a hard time taking seriously any uke manufacturer who feels that the overall length is one of primary selling points. But maybe that's just me.

I've never tried a bamboo uke. I don't have a problem with the concept. But I do have a problem with anyone claiming to make an instrument (unless it's a flute) of "solid bamboo".

Yes, that's the manufacturer splitting hairs. There is no other "wood" but bamboo, but the same could be said of mahogany laminates. These ukes are made up of layers of bamboo. I think what they want you to realize is that there is no other wood involved. In that case, virtually all ukes would be solid. Still, they do have a n ice appearance, and "No trees were harmed in the manufacture of this product." : )

Bamboo has intrigued me for awhile. There are various types of bamboo, Construction scaffolding, flooring, paper, garden stakes, and many more. I've always been impressed with it's springiness and hardness, It should transmit sound and create some interesting vibrations. I've used on the experimental Bass'nBari to reinforce spruce braces and radiating flat spokes from the bridge plates.

I've even seen a bamboo bicycle frame, with the claim that it's stronger than steel!
I'd love a floor made of bamboo, I've had it with our cheap pergo, it keeps bubbling and staining.
I've got 2 baby bamboo plants to put in our yard. We have 2 bamboo cutting boards. I think most people have one.
I played a bamboo uke once, it was a little quiet, but I liked it. I almost bought it.

I've even seen a bamboo bicycle frame, with the claim that it's stronger than steel!
I'd love a floor made of bamboo, I've had it with our cheap pergo, it keeps bubbling and staining.
I've got 2 baby bamboo plants to put in our yard. We have 2 bamboo cutting boards. I think most people have one.
I played a bamboo uke once, it was a little quiet, but I liked it. I almost bought it.

If one of them is "running" bamboo, make sure to put an effective containment so that you aren't removing bamboo all over the rest of your property.

Sorry to get serious, but I just discovered this uke!

I was all set to get a Kmise mahogany (laminate) tenor, but then tripped over this beauty. I LOVE the look of it!! I have particularly been looking for something with a "grain" in it, and I liked the zebra style ukes - but I concede that tone and construction is more important.

I can get it for $100 AUD w/ bag, tuner, strap, etc. That's about $40 more than the Kmise mahogany laminate, but if the quality is comparable (or better) I'd probably be inclined to go with the Aklot as it can be shipped to me fast, looks sweet, and is unique compared to all the wooden ukes.

I'm a rookie so I'd appreciate some expert advice!

Thank you

When I read the thread title I wondered if this was a uke made from the cannabis plant. The sound hole sniffers would be deliriously happy!

John Colter.

I contacted Aklot and asked if they make it in a cutaway. The person who replied didn't know what I was talking about. Even though their web site says they were established in 2012 in California and make ukuleles, I have a feeling they're just distributing a Chinese ready made product on which they put their name. (I've become more pessimistic after going to NAMM for a few years and seeing all the Chinese based products that work just that way.) It's seems obvious from the verbiage on their site and in the email I received, that they don't have a great command of English, especially if they've been in California for 7 years. Still, if they made a cutaway tenor, I'd buy it. I really like the bright sound.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Bamboo ukes are common. My local store had a Kala bamboo uke and I checked it out. It was ok and I think they are pretty. But if you can make them sound better or worse than a plain laminate uke for the same price is up to the player. I was not able to make it sound convincing.

Top Bottom