Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Making an Offer

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    4,391

    Default Making an Offer

    Many sellers on eBay and Reverb have "Make an Offer" in their listings. I occasionally make an offer, and it's rejected, accepted, or ignored. I always wonder about the ones that are ignored. Is it that the seller just hasn't checked the site, or is my offer too low to deserve a reply?
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    JoCo, NC (near Raleigh)
    Posts
    4,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Many sellers on eBay and Reverb have "Make an Offer" in their listings. I occasionally make an offer, and it's rejected, accepted, or ignored. I always wonder about the ones that are ignored. Is it that the seller just hasn't checked the site, or is my offer too low to deserve a reply?
    Generally means a negligent seller. The offer is also emailed to the seller so unless there are extenuating circumstances, the seller knows of the offer. An offer may be too low to accept but it still deserves a reply, IMO
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127

    !Flukutronic!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Petaluma, CA
    Posts
    186

    Default

    As a seller, the possible misses could occur when I get a reply with no way to respond, ie facebook. contacting me at my email spongeuke@yahoo.com works every time, I do provide it at all my posting on the sites I use.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sewell, NJ (suburb of Philadelphia, Pa)
    Posts
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Many sellers on eBay and Reverb have "Make an Offer" in their listings. I occasionally make an offer, and it's rejected, accepted, or ignored. I always wonder about the ones that are ignored. Is it that the seller just hasn't checked the site, or is my offer too low to deserve a reply?
    I think the same way that you do, Jerry. When I make an offer, I never lowball. It may be less than a seller wants for an item but it is never ever a lowball offer. I can't figure out the no-reply. Now, there are times on craigslist and sometime ebay if I post an item for sale and the reply is one of those scams where they will send a courier to pick it up, or a truck, or they send me a phony paypal. Then I don't reply, but for all legitmate offers, I reply. If you're not going to reply then don't solicit offers.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    4,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by efiscella View Post
    I think the same way that you do, Jerry. When I make an offer, I never lowball. It may be less than a seller wants for an item but it is never ever a lowball offer. I can't figure out the no-reply. Now, there are times on craigslist and sometime ebay if I post an item for sale and the reply is one of those scams where they will send a courier to pick it up, or a truck, or they send me a phony paypal. Then I don't reply, but for all legitmate offers, I reply. If you're not going to reply then don't solicit offers.
    One of the sites (I forget which) keeps track of the bids, and if I bid at below an offer that was rejected, it tells me.

    I was prompted to begin this thread because I made two offers yesterday, but there's been no response. In a way that's good because I really don't need two more ukes.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sewell, NJ (suburb of Philadelphia, Pa)
    Posts
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    One of the sites (I forget which) keeps track of the bids, and if I bid at below an offer that was rejected, it tells me.

    I was prompted to begin this thread because I made two offers yesterday, but there's been no response. In a way that's good because I really don't need two more ukes.
    Whenever I put anything up for sale, I alway stop to think about my own time and if my schedule would allow me to reply adequately. Nothing takes more time than responding to Disney vacation club points when I put them up. I am constantly replying -- turns into a full time job. Ukulele is nothing compared to that.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    4,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by efiscella View Post
    Whenever I put anything up for sale, I alway stop to think about my own time and if my schedule would allow me to reply adequately. Nothing takes more time than responding to Disney vacation club points when I put them up. I am constantly replying -- turns into a full time job. Ukulele is nothing compared to that.
    I remember the days of selling a car by putting an ad in the newspaper. Then there would be the phone calls with stupid questions and people who didn't show up when they said they would. Now I sell on eBay. It's gone in a week.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Twin Cities Area, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I remember the days of selling a car by putting an ad in the newspaper. Then there would be the phone calls with stupid questions and people who didn't show up when they said they would. Now I sell on eBay. It's gone in a week.
    I can't handle the combination of eBay's fees and then PayPal on top...at times, that ends up being 30% of the sale price. They get an awfully big check for not doing very much.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

    My ukulele YouTube channels:

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Many sellers on eBay and Reverb have "Make an Offer" in their listings. I occasionally make an offer, and it's rejected, accepted, or ignored. I always wonder about the ones that are ignored. Is it that the seller just hasn't checked the site, or is my offer too low to deserve a reply?
    Only you can tell if it was too low, but an offer that is ridiculously low is often perceived as not worth a reply. When I've receive low offers for stuff I sell, I'll either give a snarky reply or ignore them. There are many hoping to score way below market goods. Why waste more time than was used opening the offer to respond other than to give them the response they deserve?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Worcester, MA
    Posts
    52

    Default

    it's been a long holiday weekend (assuming sellers are in the US). Give it a chance until tomorrow or Tuesday. I guess.

    Eugenio

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •