C string buzzing on 2nd and 3rd fret

Me Underneath

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
As you may read in the title of the thread, my uke is having an annoying buzz when playing the C string on 2nd and 3rd fret. I've read on the forum and on the internet that buzzing can be caused by many factors, but I'm really struggling in figuring out what's the matter with it.

I've noticed that the buzzing is heavier in the up strum rather than in the down strum.

Do you guys have any tips on how to stop it?

If you need to know, my uke is a luna high tide tenor Koa

Thank you in advance

I am not the expert but I think it could be a slightly high 4th fret under the C string.

A slightly high 4th fret is the first culprit to look for. Is the C string a wound string? Wound strings when they get old do tend to break down and start buzzing.

It is in fact a wound string, but they are all brand new, just as the ukulele is.
Shall I take it to a professionist to fix it, or is there a way I can safely take care of that?

It is in fact a wound string, but they are all brand new, just as the ukulele is.
Shall I take it to a professionist to fix it, or is there a way I can safely take care of that?

Wound strings don't last long at all before they can cause problems. Run your finger tips under the wound string at the fret that its buzzing at, and see if you can feel anything rough. The wound string will stay intact because of the core yet if the outer windings can start breaking down in a matter of a couple of weeks and when that happens they can buzz.

A new set of strings is an easy fix but if that doesn't work it may need fret work done by a professional. If its brand new then talk to the seller.

Wound strings don't last long at all before they can cause problems. Run your finger tips under the wound string at the fret that its buzzing at, and see if you can feel anything rough. The wound string will stay intact because of the core yet if the outer windings can start breaking down in a matter of a couple of weeks and when that happens they can buzz.

A new set of strings is an easy fix but if that doesn't work it may need fret work done by a professional. If its brand new then talk to the seller.

Thank you for all the advice, today I'll try to see if the string feels rough.

Hi "Me...."
Is this a new 'uke that has been buzzing from the start? Or, is this a problem that has just started?

Last edited:
You should take it to the shop where you bought.

I bought it online.
I will take it to the local music store this weekend and see if they can help me. I will let you guys know if they find out what's that about, so maybe that will be helpful to someone help.

I also noticed, by listening closely, that the buzzing seems to come from the piece of fretboard that is attached to the body of the uke, right next to the soundhole. Seems pretty strange to me, cause it only happens when playing 2nd and 3rd fret, but the buzzing doesn't seem to come from them

I think you need to contact online store first. They may have return policy. I think online shop have responsibility to fix it. Do you have warranty card of the ukulele?

I think you need to contact online store first. They may have return policy. I think online shop have responsibility to fix it. Do you have warranty card of the ukulele?

Yeah, but if they can fix it at the music store in quite a short time and if it's not a big deal, I'd rather give it to them. The online store has free return policy, but it takes so much time

It has been buzzing since the first day I got it (1 week ago)

Because this is a new instrument and the buzzing has occurred since day-one, string damage or string related issues aren't a likely source of the problem. As others have said, it is most likely a high fret below the 3rd. If purchased from the manufacturer or authorized retailer (including online) it is also likely that no final setup was done. However, changes in environment (heat and humidity) can cause frets to "move" within the wooden fret board. Blame or explanation isn't solving your issue however :) ...

If you do take it to a local repair shop/luthier, get an estimate before you leave. My shop has a minimum of $80. Do NOT just drop it off, but ask if the repair technician can confirm that there is only one offending fret. If he/she can check all the frets, you may benefit by having a full setup completed.

Alternatively, (and hopefully a cheaper option) contact the manufacturer. They may have a warranty servicer relationship with a local music shop that would be authorized to do warranty repairs at no cost. My first "quality" purchase was for a Fender Montecito - online music vendor. 6 of the frets were high for various strings/positions. I contacted Fender and they gave me an authorization to go to one of three shops. The shop determined it was better to have it replaced. Fender "rushed" a replacement that was received in two days. The replacement plays perfectly.

Last edited:
Because this is a new instrument and the buzzing has occurred since day-one, string damage or string related issues aren't a likely source of the problem. As others have said, it is most likely a high fret below the 3rd. If purchased from the manufacturer or authorized retailer (including online) it is also likely that no final setup was done. However, changes and environment (heat and humidity) can cause frets to "move" within the wooden fret board. Blame or explanation isn't solving your issue however :) ...

If you do take it to a local repair shop/luthier, get an estimate before you leave. My shop has a minimum of $80. Do NOT just drop it off, but ask if the repair technician can confirm that there is only one offending fret. If he/she can check all the frets, you may benefit by having a full setup completed.

Alternatively, (and hopefully a cheaper option) contact the manufacturer. They may have a warranty servicer relationship with a local music shop that would be authorized to do warranty repairs at no cost. My first "quality" purchase was for a Fender Montecito - online music vendor. 6 of the frets were high for various strings/positions. I contacted Fender and they gave me an authorization to go to one of three shops. The shop determined it was better to have it replaced. Fender "rushed" a replacement that was received in two days. The replacement plays perfectly.

Thank you, this is a great advice! I'll check if Luna offers such services in my area!

Top Bottom