Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C string buzzing on 2nd and 3rd fret

Default C string buzzing on 2nd and 3rd fret

Hi everyone.
    As you may read in the title of the thread, my uke is having an annoying buzz when playing the C string on 2nd and 3rd fret. I've read on the forum and on the internet that buzzing can be caused by many factors, but I'm really struggling in figuring out what's the matter with it.

I've noticed that the buzzing is heavier in the up strum rather than in the down strum.

Do you guys have any tips on how to stop it?

If you need to know, my uke is a luna high tide tenor Koa

Thank you in advance

I am not the expert but I think it could be a slightly high 4th fret under the C string.

A slightly high 4th fret is the first culprit to look for. Is the C string a wound string? Wound strings when they get old do tend to break down and start buzzing.

It is in fact a wound string, but they are all brand new, just as the ukulele is.
    Shall I take it to a professionist to fix it, or is there a way I can safely take care of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Me Underneath View Post
    It is in fact a wound string, but they are all brand new, just as the ukulele is.
    Shall I take it to a professionist to fix it, or is there a way I can safely take care of that?
    Wound strings don't last long at all before they can cause problems. Run your finger tips under the wound string at the fret that its buzzing at, and see if you can feel anything rough. The wound string will stay intact because of the core yet if the outer windings can start breaking down in a matter of a couple of weeks and when that happens they can buzz.

A new set of strings is an easy fix but if that doesn't work it may need fret work done by a professional. If its brand new then talk to the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Me Underneath View Post
    I've noticed that the buzzing is heavier in the up strum rather than in the down strum.
    How about plunk (finger pick) them?

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    Wound strings don't last long at all before they can cause problems. Run your finger tips under the wound string at the fret that its buzzing at, and see if you can feel anything rough. The wound string will stay intact because of the core yet if the outer windings can start breaking down in a matter of a couple of weeks and when that happens they can buzz.

A new set of strings is an easy fix but if that doesn't work it may need fret work done by a professional. If its brand new then talk to the seller.
    Thank you for all the advice, today I'll try to see if the string feels rough.

Quote Originally Posted by yahalele View Post
    How about plunk (finger pick) them?
    Feels the same way. Still buzzing, heavier with up picking

I think you need to go to local guitar tech or music shop.

Hi "Me...."
    Is this a new 'uke that has been buzzing from the start? Or, is this a problem that has just started?
    Last edited by Web_Parrot; 09-03-2019 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Removed confusing text.

Thread Information