Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to: Rehab a damaged surface...

Folks pay thousands of dollars for battle scared distressed guitars and that is how they can be supplied new. So what with a few bubbles and scratches, its a badge of honour.
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

Quote Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
    Wow - that looks perfect! Had I not seen the 'before' photo, I never would have guessed there was a repair.

You have clearly taken the time and with great patience to finesse the surface back to this wonderful state

Thanks for sharing both the process and the photos!

I hope the uke lives up to all your expectations and is fun and pleasing to play
    Thank you. :-)
    I also have to give some inspirational credit to one of my cycling buddies (an antique furniture restorer) and to luthier Robert O'brien (YouTube->Obrien Guitars). My buddy uses super thin CA to re-attach laminate to 100+ year old cabinetry with great success. O'brien has a number of "hint" videos using shielded razor blades to level the surface. Finally, to my dentist :-) who commented that he used tooth paste to shine the chrome on his restored 1955 Chevy Bel Aire!

The uke sounds nearly terrific. "Nearly" because I'm trying to figure out why and open " g " sounds dead (thunk) with minimal sustain. But when I fret up the board, it rings true as with the other strings/notes. But that's for another post/thread ->haven't finished searching the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Col50 View Post
    Folks pay thousands of dollars for battle scared distressed guitars and that is how they can be supplied new. So what with a few bubbles and scratches, its a badge of honour.
    Maybe when this one has its’ 50th birthday someone will honor its' battle scars. Right now, she's only a few months old and needed the finish protected from peeling off.
    Last edited by Web_Parrot; 09-12-2019 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Grammar oops

Thread Information