Super Tenors versus Baritones

Strumaround

Reaction score
There seem to be an increasing number of 'Super Tenors' around – at least from Kala and Kanile'a.

I know that with some models this generally means a larger body with a tenor scale (Romero Creations Grand Tenor for example, I think?). But others also seem to also have a scale close to a 19" baritone and a similar body size.

Would anyone who has personal experience with these mind talking about how they differ from baritones? Sound, sustain, playability, physical size. Also 'ergonomics' perhaps – some of them look a bit 'bottom heavy'.

Also, do you tune them DGBE or GCEA?

Thanks.

Last edited:
You can tune super tenors any way you like. I’ve had wide bodied super tenors and long scale regular body tenor. They seemed to be more suited for gcea tuning, to my ears. When tuned DGBE the sound seemed diminished or constrained compared to a regular baritone.

If you want baritone sound & tuning, get a baritone.

Last edited:
I own a 19” LfdM super tenor along side a normal LfdM tenor and baritone. The super tenor has a deeper body, it’s a custom and my intention was for a tuning lower then gcea. The longer scale of 19” vs 17” is the key to supporting lower tuning. It is tuned E, A, C#, F# which is one full step higher then baritone DGBE. I have had it tuned B and Bb, as Doc J says they are very versatile.

A friend and member here, sam13 has a Kamaka long neck tenor, standard body with 19” scale. His is tuned linear or low G, GCEA and sounds wonderful, string tension is on the high side.

I prefer bari because of its body size. It sits on my lap very well. If valance is good, stap button on the heal of the neck is very good. If the valance is bad, we can change the tuners.

Concerts are larger and longer sopranos. Tenors are even larger and longer sopranos.
Baritones are even larger and even longer sopranos (that are often tuned lower)

"Super tenor" probably fits somewhere between tenor and baritone.

These "categories" don't really make something sound and considerably different, like you've made some quantum leap.
They're just size variations of the same instruments, without a change in tuning (if you stick to GCEA)

Obviously as you go from soprano size/length towards tenor, the sound and tone becomes crisper with more sustain as you add length and tension to the vibrating strings.

So how would one expect a "super tenor" tuned like a soprano/tenor to sound?
Exactly as you would expect, as logic dictates *shrugs*

My husband is tall with huge hands. For his comfort he plays a baritone Pono in standard uke tuning with a low G. He discovered a Romero grand tenor which he has in standard uke tuning with a low G and now Only plays it. For my ears the sound is sweeter, a littles less in your face if you know what I mean. He has a very soft touch so nothing is loud. Too me I can get them both plenty loud but the Grand sounds more “uke” and the Bari more ”guitarish”.
My Kamaka extended neck tenor sounds different than either of them.

One of the aspects of super tenors that I enjoy is the decrease in string tension when strung with regular tenor strings in C tuning. Easier fretting and note bending. I find the tension at times too high on 17" tenors with tenor length strings, so I tune down to B or Bb or use concert scale strings.

Last edited:
One of the aspects of super tenors that I enjoy is the decrease in string tension when strung with regular tenor strings in C tuning. Easier fretting and note bending.
You lost me on that one. I have used tenor strings on a 19" scale to get lower tension but lower pitch too. I ended up in A tuning, a step up from baritone G. If I tried to go to C tuning that would have been very high tension.

I find the tension at times too high on 17" tenors with tenor length strings, so I tune down to B or Bb or use concert scale strings.
Yes, I do that on tenor as well.

Some varied replies, thanks.

OK, here's a comparative example. A Kala Super Tenor, with key specs.

https://kalabrand.com/products/torrefied-spruce-top-ebony-super-tenor-ukulele

Scale Length: 19 inches
Width at Upper Bout: 7 inches,
Width at Lower Bout: 10.062 inches,
Body Depth: 3 inches

Compared to a, now discontinued, but let's assume typical 19" baritone uke.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-elite-mahogany-baritone-1mhg-b.html

Scale Length: 19 inches
Width at upper bout: 7.75 inches
Width at lower bout: 10.5 inches
Body Depth: 3 inches

Pretty close. Can we assume that these are pretty much the same kind of instrument? (I haven't been able to find specs for Kanile'a or others).

My reason for asking, is that I like the base and sustain of baritones and I've generally found 19" baris to be very close to my ideal size of uke RE: fret spacing. But there's not many of them around, most are 20". So, obviously it's a trade-off.

But, bearing in mind that I have to order online, I'm wondering whether I'm taking a big gamble on a Super Tenor being closer to want I want - that is, a 19" baritone.

Or am I missing something more fundamental?

Last edited:
There's a Kimo Hussey video out there where he's talking to a luthier (Jay Lichty?) about the 19" super tenor they're playing. They acknowledge that it's near enough the size of a smallish baritone. The sizes of ukes aren't massively different (compare a violin to a cello to see how instrument families can vary) so once you split hairs into crossover sizes the differences are smaller again.

I had a 19" super tenor (regular tenor body, long neck). Played it dGBE, GCEA, FBbDG. That particular one sounded best in dGBE to my ears. Each one will be different and respond differently obviously.

Hi All,
New here, just received a Kala super tenor, the KA-ASZCT-ST, Ziricote body and sides (laminate I presume) solid Spruce top.
I tried to like the D'Addario clear nylons it came with but they're really stiff and hard. Don't like them at all.
I then tried the Martin M620 strings, and they're a bear to put on being as the C and E strings are too short.
Don't know what to try next, Oasis? PHd? Any recommendations for Low G GCEA strings?
It seems that the Super Tenors are too new to have much out there in the way of good, bright, but, not "brutal on newby fingers" string sets.

Hi All,
New here, just received a Kala super tenor, the KA-ASZCT-ST, Ziricote body and sides (laminate I presume) solid Spruce top.
I tried to like the D'Addario clear nylons it came with but they're really stiff and hard. Don't like them at all.
I then tried the Martin M620 strings, and they're a bear to put on being as the C and E strings are too short.
Don't know what to try next, Oasis? PHd? Any recommendations for Low G GCEA strings?
It seems that the Super Tenors are too new to have much out there in the way of good, bright, but, not "brutal on newby fingers" string sets.

Yes the longer scale length increases string tension and can be hard on fingers. Going down to concert gauge gives smaller diameter and less tension but as you found they might not be long enough. I have a 19” tenor and have used Living Water concert strings and the length was fine. Fremont Blackline in tenor sets are a lower tension string. You could try Oasis Brights, great sound, tension might be higher then the two sets I mentioned.

Ohana is bringing out a tenor scale neck on a baritone body, aimed at those who want gcea tuning on a baritone. I was thinking of that as a super tenor but may be is a different beast.

Ohana is bringing out a tenor scale neck on a baritone body, aimed at those who want gcea tuning on a baritone. I was thinking of that as a super tenor but may be is a different beast.

Do you know why Ohana is doing this? It doesn't make sense to me. If someone wants a gcea baritone, they don't need to wait for a special neck; all they need to do is string the baritone gcea.

Do you know why Ohana is doing this? It doesn't make sense to me. If someone wants a gcea baritone, they don't need to wait for a special neck; all they need to do is string the baritone gcea.

I can see why they would do it, larger body equals bigger sound. Shorter scale length is easier to play for some people. I have read here that some people find the stretch on a baritone scale length too much for them. Beside it is unique and fills a niche market, Ohana is in the business of selling ukuleles, this is one way to do it.

Ohana’s new tenor/baritone is amazing. Big sound, easy playing and nice looking.
I am really enjoying mine.

Top Bottom