Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Always bringing a backup?

When I gig, I'm a little anal retentive...

I always have: a) A spare powered speaker, b) a spare mixer, c) at least 2 spare mics, d) a minimum of 10 mic cables, e) at least 4 power cords, f) two spare mic stands, g) at least 3 ukes (Banjo, no pickup, soprano, no pickup, and concert, with pickup), h) 2-DI boxes, i) 4 instrument cables, j) 2 mixer output cables, k) 5 tuner batteries, l) spare chair, m)mulitiple extension cords and power strips.

And a spare set of strings for each instrument.

As I said, anal retentive.

-Kurt
    Donaldson Kumalae-style soprano * Magic Fluke Timber Bass * Ohana CK450QEL * Ohana CK-65D * Ken Timms Soprano
    Moku MS-90S * Waterman * National Triolian Reso * Bugsgear Aqualele * Donaldson Concert
    Rosewood Vita Uke * Waverly Street #38 * Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor * Ohana Vita Uke
    Fluke FireFly * Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele * Republic Concert * Fluke Tenor M22
    Kala KA-KTG-CT * Cordoba 20TM * 1950s Harmony soprano *1920s Stella banjo uke

Am I done?

...naw...

My YouTube Channel

I recall reading that Jake doesn't bring a spare ukulele with him. That always surprised me, because I would think that traveling with a ukulele would make it more likely that something could go wrong, and it's kind of critical for him to have a ukulele to play for his shows.

I never have taken an extra ukulele always take an extra set of strings, although I've never broken a string. But if I did I don't think it would be such a big deal to put on a new string. Might have to tune it up often between songs, but I don't think it would be catastrophic. Certainly not worth lugging another uke with me just for that reason.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    I recall reading that Jake doesn't bring a spare ukulele with him. That always surprised me, because I would think that traveling with a ukulele would make it more likely that something could go wrong, and it's kind of critical for him to have a ukulele to play for his shows.
    That is surprising.

I saw Tobias Elofs perform in Copenhagen a few years ago, he had two ukuleles that he witched between on stage. They were not identical, so It was not just for backup, but it must add some flexibility in case of a mishap.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I never have taken an extra ukulele always take an extra set of strings, although I've never broken a string. But if I did I don't think it would be such a big deal to put on a new string. Might have to tune it up often between songs, but I don't think it would be catastrophic. Certainly not worth lugging another uke with me just for that reason.
    Tuning between songs, that is what you do when strings have only been on for a day or so, and havent settled properly like after like a week or so.
    But if you change strings like 30 minutes before a gig, will the first string even keep tune long enough for you to tune the last one?
    Is there a trick to it? Like tuning a number of notes sharp?
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

With new strings fitted, a true ukulele (ie, a soprano) is unplayable until at least the next day - in terms of giving a performance. It might be different for those four stringed mini guitars that all the cool kids are playing now.

John Colter.

I have a spare set of 5-string Living Waters in my case all the time. (5-string set so it has both a low & high G in it.) I have LW strings on all but a couple of my tenors.

So far, I have not needed them, but I did use them to replace two other players' strings at separate gigs. One used nylon, but didn't have a spare. (An interesting mix.) He had to adjust the replacement between songs, but it wasn't a big deal. I also have a set of tools in my music bag. (Mini needle-nose pliers, string clippers, pin puller/string winder, screwdrivers.) Plus, tuner/pickup batteries, a nail file, a couple of pens and a small notebook, cough drops, eye drops and a lint-free cloth. I have used them all—save the pin-puller.

Must be the Boy Scout experience that stayed with me.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

I always bring a low G tenor and a high G concert to our monthly Jams and other events, mostly just so I can play the one that sounds most appropriate for each tune.

Occasionally there is a visitor without a uke, and it’s nice to put a smile on their face when I’m able to lend them one.

Once the group leader opened his case and found it empty. He’d left his uke at home (always check your case _before_ you leave). I handed him my tenor and all was well in the world, or at least our little corner of it.

I had my very first gig last Saturday and indeed I took two ukes along as they are small and easy to carry. This was both for backup but also in case I decided to play some of the songs that sound better on the second uke (linear vs. re-entrant six-string). I ended up using it for the encores ...

The playing time was limited to one hour, so with this restriction it would not even cross my mind to sit there to install a fresh string if one broke and let the audience sit idle. I think that etiquette requires to play with a string missing and adjust song selection and playing style accordingly.

Thread Information