Is this Martin Koa or Mahogany?

robinfowler

Reaction score
Looking for an expert opinion. Is this old Martin Koa or Mahogany. I thought it was M but seems too light in color and the grain seems different.

S1 on the left for reference (new Mahogany).

I'm no expert, but that looks like mahogany to me.

John Colter.

I'm no expert, but that looks like mahogany to me.

John Colter.

I definitely agree with John, looks like mahogany for sure.

Yeap, a Martin Style 2M (mahogany).

Jim

Has that uke been re-finished at some time? It has a slightly strange look about it. It might be a photographic effect, but it doesn't look right to me.

John Colter.

Has that uke been re-finished at some time? It has a slightly strange look about it. It might be a photographic effect, but it doesn't look right to me.

John Colter.

John, these originally came in matte finish and as they age with play wear, the heavily used areas get glossy. I have a 2011 style 2K that I've played since I purchased new and it has the same patina and wear. Matte in some areas and the other areas glossy where contact and touched during playing. I think that might be what you're seeing.

Jim

Pretty sure that's mahogany.
Obviously with woods, there could be some variation in darkness/lightness depending on the particular tree it came from.

Sometimes it's the type of finish/stain that gives "mahogany" its perceived darker colour.
Do a google search on "unstained mahogany" to find many examples of lighter coloured mahogany - some look as light as Koa.

From the grain pattern, it definitely seems typical of mahogany.

Koa tends to be figured or have more variation in its wood grain pattern.

Most Martin ukes I have seen had their Mahogany stained in a dark brown colour as in the pictures. Koa has more of an orange hue, though I am not sure if the Martin K models were stained or not.

Guessing mahogany myself. I was at a ukulele music store this past weekend and saw koa and mahogany and they are very distinctive.

I'm pretty sure that's mahogany as others have suggested, Koa tends to be more golden than brown. Older ukes can take on that darker look but Koa tends to stay fairly golden and light.

Thanks everyone - I bought this as a mahogany Martin so I am happy. Just thought it looked lighter than the average Martin (well aged). Sounds nice and I will keep playing it happily.

Still learning about vintage ukes myself. Not sure how about old growth mahogany and how different it can be.

Your post reminded me of another uke that I looked and looked... and looked at...

Can others tell me if I was correct in thinking that this one was koa and not mahogany as listed?
And if it was koa, would it be worth much more than a mahogany version?
Always meant to ask someone knowledgeable...
I came close to buying it but didn't pull the lever:

Martin Style one uke 1920's 1920's Natural https://applink.reverb.com/item/6445278-martin-style-one-uke-1920-s-1920-s-natural

Last edited:
Still learning about vintage ukes myself. Not sure how about old growth mahogany and how different it can be.

Your post reminded me of another uke that I looked and looked... and looked at...

Can others tell me if I was correct in thinking that this one was koa and not mahogany as listed?

Martin Style one uke 1920's 1920's Natural https://applink.reverb.com/item/6445278-martin-style-one-uke-1920-s-1920-s-natural

Looks like Mahogany to me. Nice patina and tight grain to it.

Its the NEW ukulele that looks a little suspect as Mahogany. Use the OLD Martin ukulele as your reference for Mahogany. The new one is suspect.

Yes, the sellers description here is accurate. This is a Martin Style 1M (mahogany). I'll also add it looks to be in fantastic shape. It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like there's very little play wear and I don't see any cracks or finish checking.

Jim

Yes, the sellers description here is accurate. This is a Martin Style 1M (mahogany). I'll also add it looks to be in fantastic shape. It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like there's very little play wear and I don't see any cracks or finish checking.

Jim

Thx Jim and Ken.
So the body (unlike the neck) of this one looked much more golden, and less... grainy (for lack of a better word) than mahogany to me. Especially when you compare it to Robin's uke above. There's a lot of flame on the sides.
What is the distinguishing feature of mahogany versus koa in this case?
What do you mean by "tight grain"?

Last edited:
Top Bottom