Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Through-the-Top Strings

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    Here:
    Brilliant! Why isnt that more common I wonder?
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Flea soprano, C LW
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127

!Flukutronic!

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    No need to stick your fingers into the sound hole or change all the strings at once on a string-through-bridge design. I aways change my strings one at a time and simply use a pair of chopsticks to grab the little bugger when it appears near the sound hole. It's the pin bridge that drives me nuts. If given a choice, I prefer the look and use of a simple tie block. I'm guessing the string-through-bridge design is the cheapest and easiest design to make.
    It's on expensive ukes. I have yet to see one on a cheap one and I doubt cheap and easy to make were considerations on the RC ukes.

Quote Originally Posted by stevejfc View Post
    Would have been nice if he had shown a closeup of what he was talking about.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by AQUATOPAZ View Post
    It's on expensive ukes. I have yet to see one on a cheap one and I doubt cheap and easy to make were considerations on the RC ukes.
    I've seen string-through-bridges on many inexpensive ukuleles, including ply no-name Chinese imports and the RC ST Concert Ukulele Pack models selling for $269. I'm sure they're carefully designed to maximize bang for buck in terms of materials and labor cost.

Quote Originally Posted by M3Ukulele View Post
    I find no problems fishing the string.
    ...especially if you use fishing line.
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 09-05-2019 at 12:06 AM.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    I've seen string-through-bridges on many inexpensive ukuleles, including ply no-name Chinese imports and the RC ST Concert Ukulele Pack models selling for $269. I'm sure they're carefully designed to maximize bang for buck in terms of materials and labor cost.
    That is a laminate remake of a solid STC selling for over double that. Should RC have changed the design for their cheaper laminate. And that price for a laminate is not cheap. The RC line is created by a luthier from a long line of classical guitar players who started also making ukuleles. That bridge style was used in his custom builds that costed thousands before he started producing ukuleles in Vietnam for those who aren't buying the pricier customs. Do you honestly believe that he was trying out an easier and cheaper option on his custom builds so that he could save a buck. They are used because they put less stress on the top and also give a cleaner look.

Yeah yeah, Pepe is a great guy and I love his instruments. Just not a big fan of that bridge design. I even did an extensive review of his TT6 (which Pepe shared on social media):

https://fraryguitar.com/romero_creations_TT6_review.htm

I've played several of his custom classicals and none of them had string-through-bridge designs, unlike his Romero Creations Parlor guitar and Baritone 6. But, alas, I grin and bare it since I like his designs, especially the Baritone 6.

Thread Information