Do you feel a teacher is necessary?

People have different learning styles. You may have a really good ear and are good at picking things up. some of us like me, not so much. This instrument is brand new to me and going into some privates with a bunch of questions has been incredibly helpful. I also found a group class who is great and really is good at helping people understand things. I'd been flaying around just doing scales and things, but not really figuring out rhythms, etc and feeling like I was getting anywhere.
You must have a good ear for things as you mention being able to play multiple instruments. Figuring this one and the music, theory, moveable chords, etc, etc has been difficult (again, for me).
Dancers take privates often. It's really helpful if you have the right teacher.
I'm in the any knowledge is good school if it helps you out.

Whatever works for you according to what style you want to play, and to what level you want to play. I’d be inclined to say that even someone who doesn’t have lessons from a dedicated teacher is still learning from informal teachers...for example just listening to other musicians, in person at a gig or uke group gathering, or on cd/vinyl (whatever format you prefer...) you can absorb and learn from their playing. You can learn by sitting down and jamming with other players, regardless of whether or not their facility with the instrument is more advanced than your own. In that sense we can all be teachers and/or learners without even being aware of it :)

I've 'taught' at least 200 or so brand new ukulele beginners. Some brought in instruments still in the box. Some had been noodling for weeks, and only frustrated themselves. One in particular has been playing for three years, but lacks the confidence necessary to play like she wants to. Another has graduated to a one on one teaching experience with a way better player than I

Everyone is different. Tommy Emanuel taught himself by listening to the radio. Many brilliant Classical players have several teachers. I had several horns teachers, and the last one was so horrible, well, I quit after seeing him thrice.
I had 3 violin/fiddle teachers. None of them, try as they may, could teach me a thing.

I feel like I have many teachers. There is usually something I can learn from almost any uker. Right now, my focus is on James Hill's Ukulele Way. I just learned some tricks from Lil Rev, in person.

Learning and teaching can be planned, but sometimes learning and teaching happen spontaneously, out of nowhere.

So after lots and lots of resistance to the idea, I’ve realized teachers reduce the heartache and time required to understand and play things and give you a good path. And I’d rather have that than say I taught myself the uke.

"The self-taught man seldom knows anything accurately, and he does not know a tenth as much as he could have known if he had worked under teachers; and, besides, he brags, and is the means of fooling other thoughtless people into going and doing as he himself has done."
-Mark Twain

There are exceptions, but I think having a teacher is usually better than not. Is it necessary? Necessity implies impossibility (something is necessary if it's impossible without). I don't think anyone thinks it's impossible to learn without a teacher. Maybe a more helpful way to think about it is: is a teacher worth it? Which has a more complicated answer since time, money, and many other factors vary from person to person.

I do think that people who brag about being self-taught might be doing a disservice to others who are thereby persuaded to do the same when having teachers could have worked better for them.

The environment has certainly changed much in recent years. If one does a series of online or youtube lessons, then one can argue that this can be equal or better than face to face lessons with a local teacher. Same if one joins a group. Currently I do not feel any need to take lessons as it would increase the pressure to practice and meet the teacher's expectations. It reminds me of childhood piano lessons where any sense of excitement and fun was squashed with the need to practice regularly and follow the teacher's curriculum.

I do not argue that a teacher might not make me a better player or progress faster. I, however, think the tradeoff might be to decrease my enjoyment of playing. I do not expect to be a public performer, have nobody telling me to sit down and practice, and do not mind if I am not learning at a faster pace. I find songs and online lessons that interest me at that moment. Later when there is something specific that I want to master, I may seek out an instructor, but there is little upside that I could see to doing so at the moment.

It depends. I had no real background as a string player. I didn't come from guitar but spent my professional playing days as a trumpeter.
I bought my first uke around 2000 and just strummed and horsed around. I bought a Kamaka Tenor in 2013 with the intention of teaching myself finger style playing. I realized that I needed help but didn't know who or where to look for help.
I was running errands one day and stopped at a Bed&Bath to buy shower curtains. Right next door was a Guitar Center and I walked in. I started talking to an employee and he happened to run the lesson dept. I asked if anyone taught ukulele. The person who did was in the store and I signed up. I studied for close to 3 years and learned so much that I don't think I would have learned on my own. Best thing I ever did in terms of learning the ukulele/

It depends on what sort of person one is. Some people like the structure and accountability that comes with a teacher and a curriculum. It has been my experience that those people feel that they are making efficient use of their time and learning quicker by keeping the course. Others are more freewheeling. The structure and accountability feels stifling. They prefer to take their time and explore wherever their journey takes them. They maybe are not in such a hurry. Which is better, from my observations neither method produces the "better player." But then I might ask, how do you measure the better player? Taste is so based on an individual's perception.

I took singing lessons and I recommend them if one really wants to sing but maybe lacks in confidence. I also suggest that as soon as one is confident enough to go forth and sing, they quit taking voice lessons and go out and sing.

"The self-taught man seldom knows anything accurately, and he does not know a tenth as much as he could have known if he had worked under teachers ... " -Mark Twain.

I actually find that quote to be very near the truth. Quite a lot of what I know has been self taught but when I am able to use a teacher I learn a lot more and much more quickly. When I first got a Uke it stayed in its box for some time, just didn’t get started until after my first lesson. Of course everyone is different but somewhere along the process of learning nearly everybody needs a teacher of some sort and I still take the occasional lesson - it all helps with progress.

Last edited:
I never got much from a formal teacher, really. I learned mostly from jamming with a group and yes, there was some teaching and lots of learning in those jams, but I could pick it up at my own speed.

"The self-taught man seldom knows anything accurately, and he does not know a tenth as much as he could have known if he had worked under teachers; and, besides, he brags, and is the means of fooling other thoughtless people into going and doing as he himself has done."
-Mark Twain
I feel compelled to note, any quote from Mark Twain does not carry a lot of weight in my opinion.

I feel compelled to note, any quote from Mark Twain does not carry a lot of weight in my opinion.

I simply could not disagree more. I’ve enjoyed reading many of his works for a long time, and I have great respect for his opinions and the down to earth way he stated them.
:eek:ld:

I have found these posts all interesting and well stated. I have tried 3 teachers with little success. The one thing they had in common: all guitar teachers first then the uke. Mistake. I have learned primarily from the internet but tended to wander about finding something that I enjoyed at that moment. That has worked pretty well but ultimately came to the point where I wanted more of a progress/ directed approach. I found that on the internet too. Various sources available and I've settled on UU+. I agree that a live teacher would help. The problem is finding a good one. Some good advice given here already: play with others and play in public. I would add one more: have a decent uke that really sings to you and plays easily. The "singing" makes it a joy that you want to return to and the playability allows for less frustration moving forward with lessons.

Last edited:
I simply could not disagree more. I’ve enjoyed reading many of his works for a long time, and I have great respect for his opinions and the down to earth way he stated them.

I don’t usually judge writers’ or musicians’ lives. I was talking about his works and his stated opinions. His life was his life, interesting, maybe, but not important to my interest or admiration for his works.

I prefer to “judge not . . .” :eek:ld:

I have tried a number of different books and have made numerous "starts" at learning the Uke. None have taken so far, but my love for the Uke has not subsided. I haven't tried a teacher yet, but that may be what it takes. Anyone know a good Uke teacher they can recommend in the Seattle area?

I think one’s need for a teacher depends on his/her learning purpose. If it is to become a professional musician or at least play in a band, then he/she should take some lessons. If it is just to have a good time, playin’ with friends or belonging in a group, then it’s quite possible to learn enough from other musicians. If is just a hobby, somethin’ ta do for someone one like me, then it’s very possible to learn from books and maybe the internet. I don’t always find the internet helpful though.

I’ve heard a lotta bad stories about ukulele and banjo instructors, most of which are guitar teachers needing work, but ya pays yer money and takes yer chances.

I think one’s need for a teacher depends on his/her learning purpose.

I believe that's very sound. I, for one, would actively seek out a guitar instructor who also does ukulele because what I want out of instruction. When I browse the internet I usually gravitate to guitar sites because they focus on what I want: intervals, note names, theory, some jazzy stuff. I'm not saying that ukulele instructors don't have it, but I see it more frequently with guitar instructors and I'm just going with the numbers. The guitar instructors probably wouldn't have very specific ukulele knowledge, but I don't really want that. I will come across and figure those things out for myself over time. What I want is a more solid musical framework upon which I can graft my particular ukulele experience. So that's just me and it is probably not you, but that's why it is so important to gauge your needs and desires when looking up instruction.

Theoretically, a teacher would help me. In practice, getting instruction doesn't seem to help. I'm thinking of the dozens of workshops I've attended. I look on them more as entertainment than education. Maybe if a patient instructor worked with me, I could show some improvement in my playing. I find playing and more playing is what helps me to improve. I'm doing this for fun, not to earn a living, so I don't want to worry about lessons and the pressure of performing for a teacher.

Being retired and older than most here, my feelings about lessons are pretty much the same as Jerry's. One of my favorite quotes is "There are no ukulele police." (Having had a few piano teachers over the years, some of them seemed to me they were the piano police.) Obviously, a good teacher doesn't make you feel worried or pressured, understands your abilities, and helps you improve quicker than you could on your own. But for me, watching video and learning from internet classes, books and a friend or two keeps me happy, even though I still have a lot to learn about the best approach to the fretboard.

Also, some things do need lessons, like sky-diving or Mark Twain trying to learn to ride an "Ordinary" bicycle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom