Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Experience with The Ukulele Site

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    Great story. I like to reward great service as well. I have purchased 4 ukuleles from HMS (TheUkuleleSite.com).
    Three for me, but I keep looking.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mnb128 View Post
    ...and I got it for the same price as I would've paid ordering direct.
    Manufacturers usually sell at list price because they don't want to compete with their dealers. Dealers buy at a discount so they can make enough money to stay in business. That's why I prefer to buy from a dealer so he can make the profit, rather than the manufacturer.

I have the impression that Blackbird makes the ukes as they're ordered, and that eight week waiting time seems to be standard, although it could take longer. Making those eKoa ukes is a slow process, and the number of orders determines how long you have to wait. Thinking back, every waiting time I've been told for various ukes has wound up being longer.
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 09-05-2019 at 02:07 AM.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

That was a good read. Thanks for sharing and I hope you enjoy your uke greatly!

I recently ordered a new KoAloha KTM-00(new version) from HWM(The Ukulele Site, still confused by the dual name). I must have emailed Joel back and forth 20 times with every question under the sun. I got a quick reply for every single question. And every reply was way more than just one word answers(like I've gotten from some other retailers). They really seem to care about their customers and I felt really good about my purchase(spending $1,200+, I wanted to make sure I made an educated purchase, hence the million questions from me). I should receive the uke today actually. But I cant see buying a uke from anyone else. Great people over there.
    Ukes:
    Kala KA-SA-T (Solid Acacia Tenor)
    Cordoba 15 CM(Mahogany Concert)
    Pono MT-PC(Solid Mahogany Tenor)

Andrew is a great guy and HMS is the best!

Love those boys at HMS! I’ve bought my first Koaloha from them and, since then, heaps of string sets too.
    Their podcasts are my top choice when it comes to relaxing evening viewing.
    Bruko Soprano Thinbody (maple)
    Kamaka Tenor (koa)
    KoAloha Tenor (mango)
    Lone Tree Soprano (hemlock, western maple, pacific yew)
    Lone Tree Tenor (driftwood red cedar, black cherry, western maple)
    Lone Tree Five String Tenor (cedar/spruce top, hickory sides, koa back, birdseye maple fretboard)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Manufacturers usually sell at list price because they don't want to compete with their dealers. Dealers buy at a discount so they can make enough money to stay in business. That's why I prefer to buy from a dealer so he can make the profit, rather than the manufacturer.

I have the impression that Blackbird makes the ukes as they're ordered, and that eight week waiting time seems to be standard, although it could take longer. Making those eKoa ukes is a slow process, and the number of orders determines how long you have to wait. Thinking back, every waiting time I've been told for various ukes has wound up being longer.
    OR, as is typical of smaller manufacturers without a lot of retail presence, they must market and sell their own goods, and have arrived at a price, but, in order to increase their reach, they also sell through retailers and must accept a wholesale price. These aren't a stock item, so I suspect retailers aren't making the bulk of their sales.

Wonderful folks at HMS. Helpful, friendly and willing to work a deal. They're a couple blocks from my home so I probably visited a few times too many and need to upgrade my home so I can store all the gear...

Great story.

I've only ever bought one ukulele from HMS. But they were great. It was a pre-order for an ukulele announce at NAAM in 2017 and didn't get released until 2019. I emailed Andrew basically as soon as I saw it at NAAM, asking him if I could have first dibs then they eventually got it in stock. He said he'd put me on the list. And sure enough, 2.5 later, he came through, and I was able to get one of the first that they got in stock. It shipped quickly and perfectly all the way to NYC.

When I'm back in Hawaii, I look forward to visiting their new Kakaako location.

Hi everyone. Just wanted to take the time to say thanks for taking the time to read my story and share your own experiences.

@UkeBock - I believe they were called Hawaii Music Supply several years back when they were a full on music shop, guitars, amps, and the whole bit. I believe they changed to The Ukulele Site when they began to focus solely on ukes and their web presence began to expand.

BTW, it sure would be nice to hear that KoAloha.

Thread Information