Weird string slippage

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Have a tenor, string-thru with beads inside the body, Graphtech Ratio tuners installed a few weeks ago. Strings are Romero flouro, well settled for about a month. Played it plenty while on vacation, no issues. Now suddenly, the A string keeps going flat. I retune, and it's flat again within a minute or 2. Can't figure it out. Don't expect a cause at the bridge, so either the Ratio (non-adjustable tuner, I believe) is slipping, or maybe the A string is shot, but that would be weird too, since it's only a month old. I've got 4 solid wraps around the tuner post, so shouldn't be slipping due to faulty string installation there. Do strings that go bad behave this way sometimes? Any ideas?

Is it collecting more wraps on the post? If so I'd say the string is about to go. If not, I'd say it has to be the tuner slipping. If it is detuning that quickly, you might can see it moving - just stare at the tuner post. :D
Or take a video of it and speed up?

At one point, before changing some installation details slightly, I had trouble with fluorocarbon g and a strings slipping on (back through) the tuners. Whilst I like them I don’t currently have an Ukes that use friction tuners, traditional 14:1 worm and wheel tuners don’t slip (well not unless their manufacture is particularly cheap and nasty). Friction tuners sometimes slip, I leave the string ends long so that they provide a pointer. If I suspected slipping then I’d take a photo on my phone after tuning and compare it later ... it’s a start but the angular movement is typically so small that movement isn’t always easily seen. I think I’d be checking the bridge end of the string too for slippage, maybe the knot is somehow being pulled into the bead - strange things sometimes happen.

Last edited:
Could be slipping at the post. See if the excess there is getting shorter. Write it down the measurement and check when it goes flat, or put a dot with magic marker on it next to the post and see if it changes position.

Gonna try a new string. If the A is still slipping after the string settles, I'll swap the A and G Ratio tuners. Then, if the G slips, I'll know I must have a bad Ratio tuner. If the new A string still sips after swapping the tuners, then I'll be totally stumped, and it must be a sign from above that I need to buy a new uke. :)

Often aliens will make a string slip because that is the only way to communicate that they want you to get another uke.
That would explain the uke fairy that signals the appearance of a new uke coming. It happens at least 20 times until the wisdom uke appears.

Top Bottom