Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Enya EUC-X1M

  1. #11

    Default

    Gotcha that's good to know! I'm in the Midwest so the temperature extremes can be quite dramatic.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    8,131

    Default

    Congrats on your new uke!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

    Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    the wild west, Canada
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Awesome uke! I briefly had one, and have to agree, it's nicely finished. As I may have commented elsewhere, I thought the wood grain pattern was much nicer than the Martin OXK I also briefly had. While I thought the Martin was too bright, I found this one a bit muted for my tastes, so didn't keep it. Still, a nice one.
    Glenn

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    645

    Default

    I'm really impressed with how responsive this company is through e-mail. They seem to genuinely want to put out a good product and are very open to customer feedback and wanting to keep improving. The messages I have received are also in very good English, so no language barrier.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickie View Post
    Congrats on your new uke!
    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by glennerd View Post
    Awesome uke! I briefly had one, and have to agree, it's nicely finished. As I may have commented elsewhere, I thought the wood grain pattern was much nicer than the Martin OXK I also briefly had. While I thought the Martin was too bright, I found this one a bit muted for my tastes, so didn't keep it. Still, a nice one.
    I agree with you that the wood grain looks nicer on the Enya. It looks quite realistic.
    I can see where you're coming from, as far as sound goes. Those two ukes you are comparing are on different ends of the spectrum for sure. I tried but I just couldn't get into the sound of the OXK or OX bamboo that I tested, although they were quality instruments in terms of build. I know many people love them. I much prefer the sound of this Enya.
    It's great we have so many different models of ukuleles to choose from now and we can all find one, or multiple ones that fit our ears, style, etc.

  5. #15

    Default

    I thought I'd fallen into the abyss of uke overload on trying to decide what to get for a first uke. I was *really* impressed with your review, and on the back of a few other recommendations for Enya I decided to have a closer look. The mahogany laminate of this one really didn't do a lot for me (and that's not to question the quality at all), but the blue of the EUT-MAD has really grabbed me!

    Apologies if this question is misdirected as I realise you can't really make a direct comparison if you haven't played one - but I'm hoping to understand the difference in quality between the X1M and the MAD. I realise you reviewed the concert and I'm referencing the tenor, and that it's HPL vs solid mahogany.

    https://www.amazon.com/EUT-MAD-Ukule...8-6&th=1&psc=1

    Also if possible to compare to a KALA KA-T as that is the only reference point I can actually put my hands on and strum at the moment!

    Thanks for the great review!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by azairvine View Post
    I thought I'd fallen into the abyss of uke overload on trying to decide what to get for a first uke. I was *really* impressed with your review, and on the back of a few other recommendations for Enya I decided to have a closer look. The mahogany laminate of this one really didn't do a lot for me (and that's not to question the quality at all), but the blue of the EUT-MAD has really grabbed me!

    Apologies if this question is misdirected as I realise you can't really make a direct comparison if you haven't played one - but I'm hoping to understand the difference in quality between the X1M and the MAD. I realise you reviewed the concert and I'm referencing the tenor, and that it's HPL vs solid mahogany.

    https://www.amazon.com/EUT-MAD-Ukule...8-6&th=1&psc=1

    Also if possible to compare to a KALA KA-T as that is the only reference point I can actually put my hands on and strum at the moment!

    Thanks for the great review!
    I will try to answer this as best I can....
    I will say that a solid wood instrument often has more volume and resonance than a laminate. They can feel more alive. It's a bit of a different tone, generally speaking. It really depends on the build though. Most will say a solid wood instrument sounds better than a laminate, but I think that is personal preference...If you're in the majority, you will probably like the sound of the solid mahogany better. That blue is really pretty too. Just keep in mind solid wood instruments aren't as durable and require more care. They are worth it to many though.
    Whether an instrument is laminate or solid doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how well an instrument is built. An uke could be built of each of equal quality, but with just different materials.
    It looks like that one you're looking at is shipping direct from China in the listing on Amazon, so could take longer to get to you depending on where you are. That might be something to take into consideration. If you're in the USA they also have distribution from TX now and you can order from their site at: https://www.enya-music.com/collections/ukulele
    I have also found them very responsive to messages sent through that site if you have any questions.
    They and Amazon both have good return policies if needed.

    I have had the opportunity to play on Kala laminates before and they were very decent ukes. That said, I think Enya is the better value. They seem to be more factory direct. Most other brands, like Kala, have to buy their ukes from a factory with their name on it, then sell it to a retailer, then the retailer sells it to you. Everyone has to make money along the way. Going more factory direct allows a lower price. Enya's customer service has been much more responsive to me too. In the end, it's your choice of course and everyone has their own favorites.

    I'm not sure if that helps any, but that's the best I can do. You can always start a new thread too asking for opinions (if you haven't already), but expect to get a lot of different ones. Often it comes down to just experiencing the ukes yourself and finding out what you like personally.
    I hope you find something you're very happy with!
    Last edited by jer; 09-07-2019 at 09:31 AM.

  7. #17

    Default

    That helps AMAZINGLY thank you!

    I just watched Bernadette do an unboxing of the EUT-MAD:
    https://youtu.be/IFiGLdocwjE

    Also watched Katie from One Music School:
    https://youtu.be/Esmk19-Iu8o

    The reviews I have read echo what you've stated, which is really reassuring and gives me a lot of confidence in the brand.

    I'm in Australia, so I'm trying to jump through the hoop of the lowest cost to get it here. We're at a significant disadvantage to the US in regards to cost when having to factor in postage. Definitely a great idea to contact them directly and discuss my options. If I get it, I don't care if it's from aliexpress, amazon, Kaka or Enya branded. From what I've read it's highly likely to come well setup out of the box, and I'm feeling confident I can adjust the nut or saddle if need be.

    I'll admit I'm being a bit cheeky in my choice. I'm certain the X1M would do me perfectly fine. I'm just not taken by the colour of the laminate. It's definitely a rookie move to be so judgemental of the colour, but I just ❤ that blue. I feel it would encourage me to pick it up more often.

    New things that for me are expensive, I treat like a newborn baby. If I damaged it I'd feel like a failed father ���� My only real concern would be temperature. It'll probably get up to mid to high 30s celcius where I am over summer (Xmas) and I'm unsure how that would affect a solid vs laminate. I'd keep it inside - out of direct sunlight if necessary, or in the case.

    Thanks so much for your help! My budget started at $100AUD then doubled, and now this is $265AUD..... I have a feeling that's probably a 'normal' uke thing though? ��

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    645

    Default

    You're welcome. I'm glad to have helped some.
    I find that most are more likely to spend time with an instrument they like the looks of...so I think you're right on that one.
    As for temperature and such: I would suggest doing some online searches for care of acoustic instruments. It will probably be easier to find information like that for acoustic guitars, as there is a lot more of it available. The same principles will apply to ukulele.
    From what you said about shipping, a lot of purchases would be a bigger risk for you I see. Here's to hoping if you do get one shipped in it'll arrive in great condition and suit you well!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Well this whole thread got me to thinking. Despite having a terrible case of UAS, I have been trying to downsize. I had an Enya EUC-X1 that I had bought about a year and a half ago, but it is on permanent loan to a family member who is learning the ukulele. The look, and specifically the slotted headstock, never really did much for me. I liked the sound and the overall feel of that instrument, but I just don't like slotted headstocks. (Yes, I know that a lot of people do, and that's just fine. They are just not for me.)

    This thread made me take a long hard look at the EUC-X1M and realize that for very little money, I could have something that corrects the problems I had with the EUC-X1. So I did.

    I have to agree with Jer, this is an incredible value. Very well put together (like pretty much all Enya's I have encountered) and a very sharp look. The mahogany pattern is much nicer, in my opinion, than the koa ever was. The sound is good too. It isn't incredible if you are comparing it to an all solid wood instrument, but it is very good for what it is, a laminate instrument.

    Sharp looking, fun to play, and inexpensive. This thing is a triple-threat, and certainly a great budget instrument.

    Thanks for the thread, Jer! Even if it brought *another* uke into the house!
    Ukes include (but are not limited to)
    • Blackbird Clara
    • Kamaka HF-2A (Koa Concert)
    • KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (Acacia Concert)
    • KoAloha Opio KCO-10S (Spruce Top Concert)

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cluze View Post
    Well this whole thread got me to thinking. Despite having a terrible case of UAS, I have been trying to downsize. I had an Enya EUC-X1 that I had bought about a year and a half ago, but it is on permanent loan to a family member who is learning the ukulele. The look, and specifically the slotted headstock, never really did much for me. I liked the sound and the overall feel of that instrument, but I just don't like slotted headstocks. (Yes, I know that a lot of people do, and that's just fine. They are just not for me.)

    This thread made me take a long hard look at the EUC-X1M and realize that for very little money, I could have something that corrects the problems I had with the EUC-X1. So I did.

    I have to agree with Jer, this is an incredible value. Very well put together (like pretty much all Enya's I have encountered) and a very sharp look. The mahogany pattern is much nicer, in my opinion, than the koa ever was. The sound is good too. It isn't incredible if you are comparing it to an all solid wood instrument, but it is very good for what it is, a laminate instrument.

    Sharp looking, fun to play, and inexpensive. This thing is a triple-threat, and certainly a great budget instrument.

    Thanks for the thread, Jer! Even if it brought *another* uke into the house!
    Awesome! I, like you, do not like slotted headstocks either. So you're not the only one.

    Baz just put up a review today of their new Nova U that is very favorable too (see review section here at UU for the link, I don't have it right off hand).
    Last edited by jer; 09-09-2019 at 04:20 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •