Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic/celluloid binding?

Default Plastic/celluloid binding?

So far I've only used wood binding, and I'm thinking of giving plastic a try. So what's the difference between ABS plastic binding and celluloid binding, in terms of gluing , workability and finish compatibility.
    Which is best , or doesn't it matter?
    thanks Mike.

I don't use much celluloid due to the ridiculous cost of the hazmat shipping fee. It's like $30.00, something like that. So, ABS works fine for me. I use CA glue for all binding, wood or ABS.
    My Real name is Terry Harris

I like the 'old world' charm of celluloid tortoise shell binding, which I buy on eBay very cheaply.
    The strips of the last batch purchased seem to be cut by guillotine, so the edges are rough. Once the strip is cut to length, I roll it into a tight cylinder and work the edge (the one that will abut the side wood), on a glass backed sheet of (wet) wet and dry paper until the roughness disappears. On one occasion I omitted this step and the rough edge was not too noticeable...I think it is worth the few minutes to do it, although I'm not sure that others would agree.
    CA, or specialty glues seem to be most popular for plastic bindings.
    Some luthiers advise sealing the binding channels with shellac to prevent CA from 'creeping' into the exposed grain and staining the edges.

Hi Mike. If you don't like the superglue method then the adhesive recommended by Tom Ziegenspeck when he gave a talk on binding with plastic at MUMF is UHU Plastic adhesive. I couldn't find it in any of the DIY stores but you'll find it on Ebay. It has an open time of 5-10 minutes so its easy to stick the binding a few inches at a time and secure with tape before continuing.

I too normally use wood bindings but bought some Chinese ABS off Ebay just to see how to use plastic. ABS and UHU Plastic adhesive worked for me: theres no prebending, no clamping across the waist and no gaps.

I donŽt like that (plastics) for the binding. If youŽve ever seen a guitar with plastics in the binding and some age youŽd understand what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by greenscoe View Post
    Hi Mike. If you don't like the superglue method then the adhesive recommended by Tom Ziegenspeck when he gave a talk on binding with plastic at MUMF is UHU Plastic adhesive. I couldn't find it in any of the DIY stores but you'll find it on Ebay. It has an open time of 5-10 minutes so its easy to stick the binding a few inches at a time and secure with tape before continuing.

I too normally use wood bindings but bought some Chinese ABS off Ebay just to see how to use plastic. ABS and UHU Plastic adhesive worked for me: theres no prebending, no clamping across the waist and no gaps.
    Hi Alan, I've seen other forums suggest UHU Hart for this purpose, is that what you mean? As for CA, I've always found it's not good for plastics, or at least certain plastics, so I probably wouldn't chance it. This is one reason I asked the question about the difference between celluloid and abs, maybe ca works ok on one but not the other, I don't know.
    Thanks Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Henning View Post
    I donŽt like that (plastics) for the binding. If youŽve ever seen a guitar with plastics in the binding and some age youŽd understand what I mean.
    I understand what you mean, but there again, there are plastics and plastics. Which are problematic, celluloid or abs or other?
    cheers Mike.

English version labelled UHU Plastic, German version UHU Hartkunststoff (translation of plastic).

Any plastics that will shrink. DoesnŽt ABS?

Quote Originally Posted by Henning View Post
    Any plastics that will shrink. DoesnŽt ABS?
    I've no idea, maybe someone else might chip in with the answer.

Thread Information