Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one with just one ukulele?

Default Am I the only one with just one ukulele?

I saw a thread recently about the number of people that have multiple ukuleles. Am I the only one that has just one?

The reason I have only one is twofold. I am a retired baby boomer and we are thinking of down sizing. The second reason is that my wife believes that you can only play one at a time, so why would you need more than one?

My one uke is a really nice Kiwaya mahogany concert. So Iím happy. If
    You only have one uke, what is it?

You aren't the only one. I very often only have one, but it can be a bit of a revolving door as to which uke the one is.

I was out of uke for a little while completely and playing around mostly with percussion, although I still had one guitar too. Then roughly a month ago I got a Flight TUS-35 soprano and really liked it. It really got me back into uke. I decided to re-home it this week (I think it'll be appreciated by its new owner), as I now have a new Enya EUC-X1M concert scale uke that I much prefer. That said, I stand by everything I said about the Flight in my review here, if anyone has seen or sees that.
    I am more of a minimalist and find I don't worry as much over lower cost ukes so I end up enjoying them more. I wouldn't mind having two right now as I'm especially interested in the upcoming Enya Nova U. This one will serve me well for now and maybe a long time.
    Last edited by jer; 09-07-2019 at 09:37 AM.

Good for you. A lot of this UAS is bragging or neurotic obsession. But I have several I must say. One is a travel soprano and I do travel with it. It fits in a carry on. Another is a tenor with a low G. I have a Pono electric baritone for feeding into Garage Band for recording and because I enjoy feeding it through various amplification simulations. The last is a baritone with a high d because there is a need for me to have both high and low stringing in terms of my venture into picking. So, I do use them all.

Jake Shimabukuro, however, was famous for only having his Kamaka tenor. I think he has now ventured into the world of baritone.

There certainly is something to say for Zen like simplicity. Getting another uke doesn’t necessarily make your playing any better and I have heard some great players play on relatively inexpensive Kalas.

Re: your wife's logic. You can only wear one pair of shoes at a time so why have more than one pair? With few exceptions, you only wear one (insert any article of clothing here) at a time so why have more than one? This could go on and on. Sometimes variety is nice. Sometimes they serve a different sound or a different purpose. Sure, you only need one but more than one can be more fun!

I was only ever going to have one until I had two. (I wanted a solid upgrade.) I was fine having two until I had three. (etc.) I'm up to 5 now and they are all different in some respect so things haven't gotten too far out of hand for me and they are all getting played. I'm happy with 5 but I've had my eye on a 6th but just can't justify or rationalize that one yet. I told myself if I were to get another uke I'd sell off one of my current ukes but when I started thinking about which one I'd let go I couldn't pick one so I'm kinda stuck.
    Last edited by mikelz777; 09-05-2019 at 01:03 PM.
    Ohana CK-42R - all-solid concert, sinker redwood top, rosewood body, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG- solid/lam concert, spruce top, spalted flame maple body, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid concert, 5A acacia top sides and back, mahogany binding, Limited Edition
    Ohana SK-30M - all-solid mahogany long neck soprano (concert scale)
    Romero ST - solid/lam concert, spruce top, mahogany body

I am like a person that wants to puke if I have too many things. Usually I just play with my Kala uke, but there is always that Flight plastic fingerboard ukulele, that is just there. It upsets me but rather than burn it, it is there if I brake a string on Kala.

I may have been misunderstood. I am not judging anyone about their number of ukes. I was just curious if many people had have more than one and what it is. Also, I’m good covering the electric bill.

There are those who own multiple units. There are those who spend $1000 or more to purchase a new ukulele every few months and sell and old one at a discount. There are those who ‘wall paper’ their walls with dozens of Tenors — same size, just different brands shapes and colors.
    I have 5, and each sounds different: standard, low octave, 8 string, Banjolele,
    Some people collect stamps, some collect coins, some collect ukuleles — easier than collecting guitars (or pianos)

Try telling her that you are thinking about selling the Uke and buying a Double Bass.

Bet she then changes her opinion.

As it is different instruments have different tones and some tones work better than others with songs, of the type and variation of music we play especially within a group of uke musicians it is not a one size fits all, well that is what I tell my Wife.

So maybe next time she buys a new handbag you suggest that one of her older ones gets donated to a worthwhile cause or it is sold off on eBay.
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

Quote Originally Posted by RLM3121 View Post
    I saw a thread recently about the number of people that have multiple ukuleles. Am I the only one that has just one?

The reason I have only one is twofold. I am a retired baby boomer and we are thinking of down sizing. The second reason is that my wife believes that you can only play one at a time, so why would you need more than one?

My one uke is a really nice Kiwaya mahogany concert. So Iím happy. If
    You only have one uke, what is it?
    I just wanted to mention that I also have Kiwaya Concert- and if I had to have just one uke that may very well be the one I would keep. It's a true gem. Cheers
    "Everyone I know who is into the Ukulele is 'crackers' so get yourself a few and enjoy yourselves" - George Harrison

the ukes and year of acquisition:
    Pono RTSH-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood tenor 2016
    Koaloha KSM-02 Koa longneck soprano 2016
    Blackbird Farallon 2017
    2008 Kiwaya KTC-02 Mahogany concert 2018
    aNueNue Moonbird Spruce/Rosewood concert 2018

I consider myself a bit of a minimalist too.
    However, it is still hard to consolidate down just to 1 ukulele.

My reasons are mainly to do with tunings.

Most of the times I play in low-G (tenor), but sometimes I require high-G (concert).
    But I also want a low-G soprano for portability. And also a beater uke for taking on camping and beaches.
    And also a baritone for when I want a lower toned sound. And a guitalele for when I want to play an ukulele like a guitar.
    And a bass ukulele for when I want to play bass... and also I require an electric ukulele for silent night time play and using effects/amps.

Oh dear.. and I haven't even mentioned my guitars, flutes, violins, harmonicas and ukuleles I require for collectability and tonewoods..
    Last edited by kissing; 09-05-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Thread Information