Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one with just one ukulele?

Quote Originally Posted by RLM3121 View Post
    I saw a thread recently about the number of people that have multiple ukuleles. Am I the only one that has just one?

The reason I have only one is twofold. I am a retired baby boomer and we are thinking of down sizing. The second reason is that my wife believes that you can only play one at a time, so why would you need more than one?

My one uke is a really nice Kiwaya mahogany concert. So Iím happy. If
    You only have one uke, what is it?
    You are a wise man, and your wife is even wiser. The most dumb ass thing Iíve ever done was to buy a second ukulele.
    TomtheBaptist

I've been playing for five years and for the last two I've only had my KoAloha tenor. I used to have five ukuleles, but I felt a bit anxious for not playing all of them enough. So I sold some and gave others away. For two years I have been really happy with playing just one ukulele.

But recently I decided to get a baritone just to experiment and also to stretch my fingers. Playing baritone makes playing tenor easier. I still intend to sell the baritone at some point, because even though it's nice instrument I'm still a fan of minimalism.
    KoAloha KTM-00 tenor
    Ohana BK-70R

I currently own five, but the number fluctuates and has been much higher in the past! As has been said already, someimes a different 'voice' or 'feel' suits a different instrument. Your choice, no biggie; if you are happy with one, long may it continue to suit you.
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time! (And my beautiful Sopranino!)

Quote Originally Posted by RLM3121 View Post
    I saw a thread recently about the number of people that have multiple ukuleles. Am I the only one that has just one?

The reason I have only one is twofold. I am a retired baby boomer and we are thinking of down sizing. The second reason is that my wife believes that you can only play one at a time, so why would you need more than one?

My one uke is a really nice Kiwaya mahogany concert. So Iím happy. If
    You only have one uke, what is it?
    Gosh! I am full of admiration for your (and your wife's) philosophy! I wish I could adhere to it! Instead, I am strangely tempted by, er ... ukuleles! I have them in every available size and configuration. It would obviously be far better to kerb this unhealthy obsession and concentrate on simply learning to play better those ukes that I already have. But, I have just yesterday, seen this luthier-made concert uke going for a ridiculously cheap price .... and, so it goes on!
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just remember, if we get caught ... you're deaf and I don't speak English."

As told I have only 2 ukuleles, but I have also a classical guitar (now working as a baritone), acoustic steel string one and then electric. A flute and 2 recorders. Might add sometimes a six hole whistle too, except my neighbours that get then bothered. A harmonica and also a keyboard that I am not so familiar with, but good for music theory anyways. Somewhere in the cellar also a cheap russian piano style accordeon, but it is so out of tune lol.

I really only came to musical instruments when I retired, started with a diatonic harmonica, then ukuleles, went back to harmonica, bought several more different ones, chromatics, tremolos, & some more diatonics in different keys. Then I bought a fipple flute or two, they are so cheap relative to other instruments, then a keyless piccolo, had to add keyless flutes.....

I blame it on the fact that I never had the time or the money to do it before, so I'm trying to catch up on a lifetime of doing without.......that's my excuse, & I'm sticking to it.

I'm really enjoying myself learning to play all these different instruments, but if you're happy with just the one, so be it, as long as you're enjoying it.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Yes Keith, I forgot to mention that I have besides the basic diatonic harmonica also a chromatic one, but that is one instrument I never could figure out, with the pushing thing.

Also a violin hanging on my wall, it is better kept there and looks nice to not upset mine or neighbours ears and looks beautiful.

I know many people who have only one uke, and they do just fine. Some people have more self control than others. : )
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    I really only came to musical instruments when I retired, started with a diatonic harmonica, then ukuleles, went back to harmonica, bought several more different ones, chromatics, tremolos, & some more diatonics in different keys.
    Yeah, I know what that's like. I've been accumulating harmonicas since I was a kid.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

There are still a lots of musical instruments that I can't play because of the apartment housing living. Like sax or clarinet, Or trumpet family ones. Oboe sounds nice too, but my all time favorite is probably the clarinet.
    I had a Casio DH-100 and with it I came closest to clarinet sound. Time might golden the memories, but it broke

It is not the same with playing a keyboard all these digitally made sounds it has, I need that blowing lower or harder control of volume and fingering contact of a horn.

Thread Information