NUD - LFdM Tenor (Video: Castle in the Sky)

Lapyang

Reaction score
This actually is a not so new NUD. I received this LFdM Tenor in May. I just did not get a chance to make a video and post the pictures.

It took about 7 months from the first e-mail to the completion of the ukulele. I actually visited the shop of Luis (Ontario, Canada) to pick out the wood in person. That visit was surely an eye opener. Luis' shop is cleaner than my living room. I think it speaks volume of the Luthier. He is a true gentleman and a scholar. He showed me how to listen to the tapping tone of a sound board, how the body wood can affect the overall sound, how the style of playing in relation to fretboard radius...etc. I felt like I attended a class of Ukulele Building 101.

Maccaferri Style Tenor
17in scale
10in radius fingerboard
Bearclaw Sitka Spruce
Cocobolo Back and Sides
Living Water Low Tesion for A, E strings
Thomastik CF 27 for C
Fremont Soloist for Low G

IMG_1079.jpgIMG_1080.jpgIMG_1083.jpgIMG_1084.jpgIMG_1081.jpg

This is no doubt my best Ukulele. The Holy Grail. The sound is out of this world. The craftsmanship is the best I have seen. Just holding the uke could send chills down my spine.

Here is a video of "Castle in the Sky" play on the this superb Tenor. This uke made it sound better than I could play. The first half of the song was modified from the arrangement of Rainy Day Studio (YouTube), the second half was my version.

Absolutely beautiful instrument! The back reminds me of a Georgia O'Keeffe painting. Stunning. With a sound to match. Excellent playing.

Nice playing! What is that on top of your left thigh?

Nice playing! What is that on top of your left thigh?

It is a guitar cushion I got from Amazon. Classical guitar players use these to prop up their guitars. I don't play guitar but I found it useful when I don't use a strap on my uke.

I am glad you got a chance to do a NUD, this instrument deserves it. It looks and sounds wonderful as it did in person. I was lucky enough to be with Joseph and Luis as they went through the process of choosing the woods and design elements. It came together in a brilliant form of musical completion. Enjoy it for a long time to come

Last edited:
Interesting string choices.

It was originally strung with Oasis warm for E, and A. It gave out great tone and volume. But I personally prefer the longer sustain and the easier feeling on the finger the Living Water Low tension offers.

I am glad you got a chance to do a NUD, this instrument deserves it. It looks and sounds wonderful as it did in person. I was lucky enough to be with Joseph and Luis as they went through the process of choosing the woods and design elements. It come together in a brilliant form of musical completion. Enjoy it for a long time to come

Dave, I owe it to you and Brenda for "hooking me up" with Luis. I am extremely happy with this instrument.

It was originally strung with Oasis warm for E, and A. It gave out great tone and volume. But I personally prefer the longer sustain and the easier feeling on the finger the Living Water Low tension offers.

Sounds great!

Beautiful ukulele, and great playing. Enjoy that wonderful ukulele!

Wonderful instrument. Sounds very balanced. Congratulations. Very nice playing as well ��

Dave, I owe it to you and Brenda for "hooking me up" with Luis. I am extremely happy with this instrument.

And you forgot to mention , you used my house as the birthing....delivery room. I should be named god mother to wingstar! ( or mid wife?)
Congratulations..... it’s a great sounding instrument because you made it sing. ....I am honoured you held this new baby for the first time in my music room !

And you forgot to mention , you used my house as the birthing....delivery room. I should be named god mother to wingstar! ( or mid wife?)
Congratulations..... it’s a great sounding instrument because you made it sing. ....I am honoured you held this new baby for the first time in my music room !

Yes, Brenda, thanks for the lovely birthing suite, so I got to bond with my new baby.

Ditto everyone else's comments -- beautiful ukulele and beautiful playing. I'm not familiar with this ukulele maker, so I will be interested to check them out. And congrats (a few months late).

Top Bottom