Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NUD - LFdM Tenor (Video: Castle in the Sky)

Default NUD - LFdM Tenor (Video: Castle in the Sky)

This actually is a not so new NUD. I received this LFdM Tenor in May. I just did not get a chance to make a video and post the pictures.

It took about 7 months from the first e-mail to the completion of the ukulele. I actually visited the shop of Luis (Ontario, Canada) to pick out the wood in person. That visit was surely an eye opener. Luis' shop is cleaner than my living room. I think it speaks volume of the Luthier. He is a true gentleman and a scholar. He showed me how to listen to the tapping tone of a sound board, how the body wood can affect the overall sound, how the style of playing in relation to fretboard radius...etc. I felt like I attended a class of Ukulele Building 101.

Maccaferri Style Tenor
    17in scale
    10in radius fingerboard
    Bearclaw Sitka Spruce
    Cocobolo Back and Sides
    Living Water Low Tesion for A, E strings
    Thomastik CF 27 for C
    Fremont Soloist for Low G

IMG_1079.jpgIMG_1080.jpgIMG_1083.jpgIMG_1084.jpgIMG_1081.jpg

This is no doubt my best Ukulele. The Holy Grail. The sound is out of this world. The craftsmanship is the best I have seen. Just holding the uke could send chills down my spine.

Here is a video of "Castle in the Sky" play on the this superb Tenor. This uke made it sound better than I could play. The first half of the song was modified from the arrangement of Rainy Day Studio (YouTube), the second half was my version.

A day without playing uke is a day not well lived.

Joseph

Absolutely beautiful instrument! The back reminds me of a Georgia O'Keeffe painting. Stunning. With a sound to match. Excellent playing.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Nice playing! What is that on top of your left thigh?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    Absolutely beautiful instrument! The back reminds me of a Georgia O'Keeffe painting. Stunning. With a sound to match. Excellent playing.
    Funny you mentioned Georgia O'Keeffe, I thought the same also.

Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrdr View Post
    Nice playing! What is that on top of your left thigh?
    It is a guitar cushion I got from Amazon. Classical guitar players use these to prop up their guitars. I don't play guitar but I found it useful when I don't use a strap on my uke.

Joseph

Interesting string choices.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Eastman EU3C, Concert
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Martin T1K, Tenor

I am glad you got a chance to do a NUD, this instrument deserves it. It looks and sounds wonderful as it did in person. I was lucky enough to be with Joseph and Luis as they went through the process of choosing the woods and design elements. It came together in a brilliant form of musical completion. Enjoy it for a long time to come
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 09-12-2019 at 01:15 PM.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by kkimura View Post
    Interesting string choices.
    It was originally strung with Oasis warm for E, and A. It gave out great tone and volume. But I personally prefer the longer sustain and the easier feeling on the finger the Living Water Low tension offers.

Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    I am glad you got a chance to do a NUD, this instrument deserves it. It looks and sounds wonderful as it did in person. I was lucky enough to be with Joseph and Luis as they went through the process of choosing the woods and design elements. It come together in a brilliant form of musical completion. Enjoy it for a long time to come
    Dave, I owe it to you and Brenda for "hooking me up" with Luis. I am extremely happy with this instrument.

Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Lapyang View Post
    It was originally strung with Oasis warm for E, and A. It gave out great tone and volume. But I personally prefer the longer sustain and the easier feeling on the finger the Living Water Low tension offers.
    Sounds great!
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Eastman EU3C, Concert
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Martin T1K, Tenor

Thread Information