Latest New Toy

Timbuck

Reaction score
This is a Sealey SM27 lathe I got on eBay at a bargain price.
It's mainly used by my Son Mike..But! I have a few ideas for it :)

IMG_4771 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Nice little lathe and I'd like to have one!

Timbuck-I have a similar sized home machinist lathe, and a similar sized mini-mill. Had both for a couple of years. I can do simple stuff on them, but with no experience and no experienced friends, it has been difficult to learn new tricks. I've bought s couple of books, but they typically start out expecting me to know more way than I do. I know you are way beyond needing learning literature for the lathe, but just wondered if you might have any suggestions. I know there is a ton of stuff on u-tube, but I still like books. Thanks, Bob

Try making some nuts and bolts using the screw cutting gears ..that should give you a bit of fun..Or misery......It all starts with the cutting tools being on the centre line of the work piece if it's too high it will rub..too low and it will rub. At nine or ten years old I started out trying to make simple things on a home made treadle lathe that my Dad built from an old sewing machine base, I made more turnings than objects :(...then at school in the metal work class, they had a couple of Student Colchester lathes, There I made things like a fire place poker with a laminated fibre and brass handle and a brass poker stand to go with it.:) ..then when I left school I started working in an engineering factory machine shop as an apprentice, so I had a pretty good start ... The most complicated piece of Lathe and Mill work I ever did was to make some gear cutting Hobs...almost as mind bending as luthiery.:rolleyes:
hob.jpg

Ken- Thanks for the info. I'm really sorry that I did not get the early start with the lathe that you did. Working with metal, or rather playing in my case, is very satisfying. I'm just adding a DRO to my lathe and hope to have lots of spare time enjoyment. Enjoy your work!

Top Bottom