Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Trimming a head stock?

Quote Originally Posted by AQUATOPAZ View Post
    That is beautiful. It looks great. The thing about moving the tuner holes, at least in yahalele's photo, is that he proposes moving them much closer to the nut than you have and right on the curve on the headstock. It makes more sense to move the tuners closer together than to drop them as low as in this photo yahalele supplied.
    Attachment 121191
    Yeah, I agree - too close to the nut. This will lower the break angle of the string, perhaps too much.

OK so....

Cut some dowel plugs, glued in holes from geared tuners, sanded, used glue and saw dust to fill any gaps and tuner screw holes, chopped off 45mm, drilled and counter sunk for tiny Waverly friction tuners, all fitted together.

All clearances and angles seem OK - plays fine.

Was 20.7" now 18.9"

IMG_0450.jpgIMG_0451.jpgIMG_0465.jpgIMG_0466.jpgIMG_0468.jpg

Hi, robinfowler! Good job! Better than Martin. ;-) And thanks for showing us this great work.

Last edited by yahalele; 09-13-2019 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robinfowler View Post
    OK so....

Cut some dowel plugs, glued in holes from geared tuners, sanded, used glue and saw dust to fill any gaps and tuner screw holes, chopped off 45mm, drilled and counter sunk for tiny Waverly friction tuners, all fitted together.

Was 20.7" now 18.9"

Holy smokes you are brave! Really nice! Do the tuners get in the way of each other when tuning? I wonder why makers have so much clearance space between them. Are you going to leave it as is or are you going to put some type of finish on it, a black lacquer headstock would look amazing, but I don’t know how to do that.

OK so....

Was 20.7" now 18.9"

You did a good job of it. Well thought out. Could you post a picture of the whole ukulele? I would like to see how it works with the rest of it. Thanks.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Thanks for the kind words. I spaced the tuners so they would not extend outside of the edge of the headstock. There is plenty of space between then (pic below).

I will put some sort of finish on - I just wanted to string it up first and make sure all played OK.

Was thinking just some sort of oil - happy for suggestions.

I will take an over all pic later on.

IMG_0469.jpg

I already travel with the Kala (soprano) and it does fit in my hand luggage. BUT I have an obsession for the smallest travel Uke with a full sop scale. Kala was the best balance of quality and size I could find.
    The Romero Creations ST Concerts are all soprano length overall (tenor-sized lower bout/body, concert scale). They come in everything from all koa body to low-maintenance laminate Uke Pack https://www.romerocreations.com/ukepack .

It's one option, with advantages over a traditional soprano, if you want to not spend the time/risk modifying your current soprano uke.
    keeping an eye out for a very special concert....

Quote Originally Posted by Wukulele View Post
    The Romero Creations ST Concerts are all soprano length overall (tenor-sized lower bout/body, concert scale). They come in everything from all koa body to low-maintenance laminate Uke Pack https://www.romerocreations.com/ukepack .

It's one option, with advantages over a traditional soprano, if you want to not spend the time/risk modifying your current soprano uke.
    I liked the small body of the Kala for travel - see above the Kala has been chopped already.

What’s the next project Robin?
    Happy just to be a Newbie +, Penny

Quote Originally Posted by prb035 View Post
    What’s the next project Robin?
    A padded fabric slip case for the Kala. Thinking wetsuit material with an opening at the large end so the use can slip in headstock first and just be gripped by the fabric. Sort of like a phone sleeve.

Thread Information