Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trimming a head stock?

Brilliant idea. So because the nut does not change the tone/scale is not affected.

Why not also post your question on the Forum: Ukulele Building / Luthier's Lounge of this website. There are Luthier - Builders who regularly post to there.
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)

Hi, robinfowler!

We need cone (A in the photo below), putty (B) and taper reamer (C). My taper reamer is 3-12mm size. We just make starter by cone on the back of the head stock and hole it from back side. Holes can be located over wood and putty. We just need to be careful about the interfere of strings (red arrow). If the holes of 2nd and 3rd strings are too outside, strings my interfere.

Last edited by yahalele; 09-08-2019 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robinfowler View Post
    Silly question?

I have a kala travel uke. It has a longish headstock. Could I trim the top off the head stock? Or would this cause the head to break or ruin the sound. Just want to make it a bit shorter for travel.
    It honestly doesn't look like you have much extra room for safely removing the tuners. As another poster said, maybe just get a shorter uke or a tiny tenor. Those have the big sound and are shorter.

FYI, a concert Flea uke is pretty short, it fits in my Kaces soprano gigbag just fine, and that goes easily into my backpack, has a great sound and is my go-to travel uke.
    John

Thank for everyones comments.

I bought this in Hawaii when there so not as expensive as buying in Australia.

I have already fitted lightweight friction tuners - that make it feel more balanced to play.

This is a dedicated travel Uke so the idea is to trim headstock to make easier to fit in hand luggage.

From the pics you can see there is a lot of space at the top - a good 40mm (1.5").

So how much could I safely trim off???
    I would feel safe cutting a line right under where it says "Brand" in your photo.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

The Kala travel uke is already pretty short - just over 21", I believe. This should fit into any 21" carry on, though corner to corner. This is my deff of a travel uke.

However, if you insist, it does look to me that the pointy ends could easily be rounded over. That should get you down to 21, I think. Maybe even shorter.

Do you have what they call the quasi-closed style of tuner? I believe the Kaka does. These only have 1 screw and I think they are closer to the tuner than other styles. If so, you might get away with trimming maybe as much as 1/2" more, but maybe stay safe at 1/4". No guarantees - just how it looks to me. Others here have commented the opposite.

A spindle sander might be a good way of proceeding, that is, if you do proceed... Draw a line and sand to it. Keep it square and you might get away with just finishing the sanded edges.

Hi All,

I already travel with the Kala (soprano) and it does fit in my hand luggage. BUT I have an obsession for the smallest travel Uke with a full sop scale. Kala was the best balance of quality and size I could find.

Following yahalele's advice I could maybe save another 1.5" off the total length. So a sub 19" uke with full sop scale.

I have already fitted small Waverly friction tuners (in pics) which needed a smaller hole than the Kala already had for the geared tuners - so re-drilling the holes appeals to get these tuners fitted better. I used the washers from the geared tuners to extend the Waverly's and cover the holes - they do work fine and hold tune.

I am still considering but moving the tuners down the head stock is sounding good.

Hi All,

I already travel with the Kala (soprano) and it does fit in my hand luggage. BUT I have an obsession for the smallest travel Uke with a full sop scale. Kala was the best balance of quality and size I could find.

Following yahalele's advice I could maybe save another 1.5" off the total length. So a sub 19" uke with full sop scale.

I have already fitted small Waverly friction tuners (in pics) which needed a smaller hole than the Kala already had for the geared tuners - so re-drilling the holes appeals to get these tuners fitted better. I used the washers from the geared tuners to extend the Waverly's and cover the holes - they do work fine and hold tune.

I am still considering but moving the tuners down the head stock is sounding good.
    You should probably check in at the luthier's lounge before following yahalele's advice unless you don't mind ruining your uke. They have experience with scale and fitting of tuners. I am sure yahalele has none and was merely giving you an opinion.

Moving the tuners should knock a couple cm off easily. I modded a Kala-15S to 8 strings by filling the old holes with dowels and redrilling. IIRC 3/8" dowels fit perfectly to fill the old holes, and I just camouflaged them with a paint pen For better cosmetics you could strip the whole head of paj. I may have had to switch to friction tuners to fit more compactly than the native geared machine heads. With just the near four tuners you could remove 3-4 cm from the end.

fullsizeoutput_12.jpg

Thread Information