Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you still have your first one?

I have my first: Mainland mahogany satin concert. It happened to be a great fit for me...even after I tried out a lot of other brands, tonewoods, and sizes, I still come back to it regularly as a daily player and travel Uke. I’m a bit sentimental about it too so I don’t think I’ll ever get rid of it.

My first dozen or so guitars have faded into the mists of time. Wish I still owned a couple of them, e.g., 1963 Epiphone Sorrento and 1972 Les Paul Custom. However, I till own and play my first 'ukulele, a Pono MT-E from 6 or 7 years ago. It was rather soft and bright at first and now is full and sweet in tone.

I do not. I have never had an instrument that I attached such sentimental value to that I would never let it go. My first uke was nice though as it was one of the early Flukes. I can't even remember who I sold it to. My first stringed instrument was guitar, so I had already gone through some instruments there before I even touched an ukulele.

Quote Originally Posted by fingerguy View Post
    I don't have my first instrument at all (guitar & bass) yet thinking when I get my 3rd ukulele that I might just donate my first one that cost me $47 to Goodwill. But then something stops me.
    Yes I have mine, Islander MT by Kanile'a. And I'll be keeping it. )

I have never given up a uke. My first one was a Luna solid spruce top set up by HMS. Nice little player.
    - Laura

Nope.
    But I still have my 3rd one, a Kala I got from Mim. It's my backup/beater uke, cause it has a pickup in it.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Yes, I still have the Fender Nohea tenor that was my first. I bought it on Amazon because I had a couple of gift cards. I had read that Koa was the best wood for ukuleles in some reviews. I thought the Fender headstock looked different and it was made of Koa! Wrong! It's a koa laminate body. I knew nothing about setups. It practically took a pair of Vicegrips to barre the 1st fret. Even after a setup it's still difficult to play and the fret ends are very sharp.

I debate about donating it because it's so difficult to play. It has a definite laminate sound.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Yep. My first was an Ohana CK-10 purchased from and setup by Mim. I only have one other - an Ohana TK-50G. I still enjoy that little concert. Between the two, I prefer it for rhythm and strumming.

I still own the Koaloha KTM and I plan to keep it. :-)
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)

I recently re-homed my first ukulele (an early Fluke) to a neighbor friend. It was the only one of my ukes that she felt comfortable playing. I miss it from time to time, but fortunately it's only a couple of houses away from me, and I have visiting rights. :-)
    Jan D.
    KoAloha KCM-00 (koa concert)
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia concert)
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele (yew concert)
    Kala KA-SLNG (long neck soprano)
    Flight TUS35 (blue soprano)
    UKES LOOKING FOR A NEW HOME:
    *Ohana TK-35CG (mahogany tenor w/cutaway)
    *Snail SUC (solid top mahogany concert)

Thread Information