Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you still have your first one?

Don't have my first ukulele, a Mahalo Tele style I bought for $60 about six years ago on a whim because it looked my real Fender Telecaster, just as a wall hanger. Then I signed up for a ukulele play along and discovered it was a soprano, which I couldn't finger very well, so I bought a tenor. I sold the Mahalo for $35 to a member of the uke group I also joined at the time. Also, I played guitar for almost 50 years before the uke, and because I'm so completely taken over by the uke (and bass uke), I gave away my four guitars.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Yup, It's a Gretch soprano probably 50s. It means a lot to me even though I don't play it much as Martins are always at hand.

If I recall correctly, my first one broke, or rather one of the tuners did. Back then before the internet and resurgence of popularity of the ukulele, finding a replacement tuner was nigh impossible so I threw it away and only 15 or so years later bought another which I haven't kept either because the intonation on it was so awful! Generally I tend not to get attached to things. My family are horrified that I threw away my childhood teddy bear.

My first one was a soprano Lanikai. I gave it to a friend after I bought a Martin soprano and a Ohana sopranino.

My first was a Mahalo painted cheapo,bought to see if I could make anything of the instrument (as a former guitarist) before moving on. I gave it away many years ago, to a fellow beginner, as I had picked up about three more,better quality instruments by that time!
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time! (And my beautiful Sopranino!)

Yes, I do. It's a no-name soprano that I bought in an ABC store on the Big Island in 2002.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jer View Post
    I do not. I have never had an instrument that I attached such sentimental value to that I would never let it go.
    I do have my first one and I don't keep it because of any sentimental value. I keep it because it is a pretty good sounding ukulele, I got next to nothing invested in it, and it has proven indestructible. I still play it often.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

I haven't been at this ukulele adventure all that long compared to many and yes I do still have a the concert fluke that is my first uke. It's in my avatar photo.

I still have mine. It is a soprano Flea, a great uke. Still play it every day.

I gave my first uke to a friend, who was new to it, and she liked the size and the sound very much. It was a Kala tenor exotic mahogany. Initially, I thought I couldn't sell it, as it was my first one. So I lent it to her. After about a year or so, I realized I wasn't really missing it, and as it wasn't a particularly rare or special instrument, I sold it to her.
    I still have my second one, though. That's a tenor Flea I ordered from Magic Fluke. I wouldn't give that away. Even though there are long phases without me playing it (I do have about a dozen, or maybe more, I refuse to count them, so I don't have to lie to my wife when she asks me how many I have...). It's lovely, and it was the first "custom ukulele" (so to say...) I ever got.

EDIT: Just realised, this was my 100th post here... a very well fitting subject, I find.

Thread Information