Do you still have your first one?

Don't have my first ukulele, a Mahalo Tele style I bought for $60 about six years ago on a whim because it looked my real Fender Telecaster, just as a wall hanger. Then I signed up for a ukulele play along and discovered it was a soprano, which I couldn't finger very well, so I bought a tenor. I sold the Mahalo for $35 to a member of the uke group I also joined at the time. Also, I played guitar for almost 50 years before the uke, and because I'm so completely taken over by the uke (and bass uke), I gave away my four guitars.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Yup, It's a Gretch soprano probably 50s. It means a lot to me even though I don't play it much as Martins are always at hand.

If I recall correctly, my first one broke, or rather one of the tuners did. Back then before the internet and resurgence of popularity of the ukulele, finding a replacement tuner was nigh impossible so I threw it away and only 15 or so years later bought another which I haven't kept either because the intonation on it was so awful! Generally I tend not to get attached to things. My family are horrified that I threw away my childhood teddy bear.

My first one was a soprano Lanikai. I gave it to a friend after I bought a Martin soprano and a Ohana sopranino.

My first was a Mahalo painted cheapo,bought to see if I could make anything of the instrument (as a former guitarist) before moving on. I gave it away many years ago, to a fellow beginner, as I had picked up about three more,better quality instruments by that time!

I do not. I have never had an instrument that I attached such sentimental value to that I would never let it go.
I do have my first one and I don't keep it because of any sentimental value. I keep it because it is a pretty good sounding ukulele, I got next to nothing invested in it, and it has proven indestructible. I still play it often.

I still have mine. It is a soprano Flea, a great uke. Still play it every day.

I gave my first uke to a friend, who was new to it, and she liked the size and the sound very much. It was a Kala tenor exotic mahogany. Initially, I thought I couldn't sell it, as it was my first one. So I lent it to her. After about a year or so, I realized I wasn't really missing it, and as it wasn't a particularly rare or special instrument, I sold it to her.
I still have my second one, though. That's a tenor Flea I ordered from Magic Fluke. I wouldn't give that away. Even though there are long phases without me playing it (I do have about a dozen, or maybe more, I refuse to count them, so I don't have to lie to my wife when she asks me how many I have...). It's lovely, and it was the first "custom ukulele" (so to say...) I ever got.

EDIT: Just realised, this was my 100th post here... a very well fitting subject, I find.

Top Bottom