Its Still Black Magic

When I was guitar focused, I was gifted the Siminoff book. That started an enthusiastic quest to find the perfect top building technique, but I soon found that my brain/ears lacked the required simulation circuitry of a sound spectrometer, so it all got very confusing. The classical that I built employing the tap tuning principles to the best of my abilities, sounded thin (lacking base) but had crystal clear, bell-like highs. Luckily for me the commissioner liked it, but I was less than proud and quite disappointed with the outcome.
I have since spoken to others who have had great success using the same techniques and principles.
I now admit that I failed to adapt to tap tuning with any sort of finesse, but also concede that it works very well for others, and so encourage anyone who is interested, to look into it and give it an honest trial. For the tiny soundboards of soprano and concert ukulele..... I would not bother.
Please don't conclude that this opinion may be the result of poor hearing... I can hear a wine cork pop at 200 metres.

Ukuleles are not little dreadnought guitars and never will be. It is a whole nother kettle of fish. However, musical is musical.

This is kinda what I do.
Some classical guitar makers use different sized braces for treble and bass sides and taper them from higher (treble) to lower (Bass)- Bouchet, etc.

On ukes I usually leave my treble side fan brace a bit higher.
And I tap and carve and tap until it rings.

Top Bottom