VIDEO- Invisible Binding method tips and tricks

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
A long video showing me binding a back (the more difficult side as both binding ends are visible)
Here I show how i get nice joins that are very difficult to see and are stronger then a simple butt join (due to the slightly longer 45 degree glue join)

The side purfling - you seem to have the waist pre-bent but the rest is left straight? Does the side purfling just bend around the bouts because it is fiber as opposed to wood veneer? Can you/do you do the same process for wood veneer side purfling, that is, pre-bend just the waist and then bend the rest as you go around with the binding?

The side purfling - you seem to have the waist pre-bent but the rest is left straight? Does the side purfling just bend around the bouts because it is fiber as opposed to wood veneer? Can you/do you do the same process for wood veneer side purfling, that is, pre-bend just the waist and then bend the rest as you go around with the binding?

This is fiber purfling which is far more forgiving then maple purfling.

With the fiber stuff, I usually give the purfling a quick bend at the waist area to save me fighting it but don't need to anywhere else.

The same thing can be done with maple purfling but it's easier to ca glue it to the binding and bend it all together.
Also, you can chisel in some little kerfs (see attached) on maple purfling to make it bend a bit easier (if it isn't glued to binding already but maybe you could do both and with would be even easier but i've not tried that.)

69700615_2384211081667591_7304117182823137280_n.jpg

Top Bottom