Stand (R.E.M.) for Hong Kong

Aloha John,
I stand with the people of Hong Kong in their fight for democracy from Communist China also. Unfortunately, 6-7 people lost their lives on 31AUG19 in a subway station that the police are trying to cover up.
Thanks for making this video.
Mahalo and aloha. Take care.

Thanks, luv2uke! I also read that some of the protest leaders were arrested. The people will not be satisfied with just the extradition bill being withdrawn. China, the world is watching...

China, the world is watching...

I hope that this all ends well but I fear that it will not. China is a country of massive achievement but that’s been very much managed via the single party system which allows no opposition to its plans and values. The World might be watching, but China knows that it’s big enough to do pretty much whatever it wants to do regardless of the views of others. One can but hope that it decides that it’s best way forward in Hong Kong is via a gentler path.

Hi, Graham! I do worry about what will happen and fear another Tiananmen Square happening, but I also hope that even the Chinese government fears the kind of backlash they would receive if they did something like that.

Hi, Graham! I do worry about what will happen and fear another Tiananmen Square happening, but I also hope that even the Chinese government fears the kind of backlash they would receive if they did something like that.

Had a popular dispute of this size happened on the mainland then I have little doubt that crushing force would have been used sometime back, (historically) that is their way of doing things and they have little regard for what anyone else thinks. The Chinese Government will have decided what paths forward it might choose to follow; it will not tolerate the bother spreading to the Mainland but it might tolerate some non-conformity in Hong Kong provided that the economics of doing so work in their interest.

Hong Kong is effectively an isolated but very productive money making machine, bringing in the Tanks would very likely break that machine and hence riot police have been used instead - still very forceful but Troops would be far more damaging. I anticipate that the Chinese Government would prefer not to have that loss (a broken money making machine) unless truly necessary. Well, that’s just my view of the situation and I’m hopeful that some resolution will be found soon, the alternative is somewhat grim ...

Last edited:
Thanks, Bill! I'm worried. Hoping things will get resolved without further violence.

Thanks, Bill! Have a great weekend! :)

Nice performance and thought John. Well done.

Thanks, Dave! I really appreciate it!

Twenty-odd years ago I was living and working in HK. There had been massive uncertainty as to how the PRC would behave after the 1997 handover from the British, but nothing much changed - just subtle things. I'm fascinated to see that all those little schoolkids I saw every day have now grown up to understand how they have more freedom than mainlanders, but are nonetheless trapped in an undemocratic system over which they have no control, and it's ruled by one man. I'm inclined to agree with other contributors: the PRC generally does as it chooses without regard to the rest of the world. This time the global visibility of what's happening may give them pause.

Thanks for sharing your perspective, LASTCARDLOUIS. One amazing aspect of this protest is its scale and duration. And with that global visibility that you mentioned, hopefully the protesters will prevail. Something will have to give...

Top Bottom