Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strings for Blackbird Clara ?

Default Strings for Blackbird Clara ?

I have a 2018 model Clara.
    I have tried Living Water, Oasis Warm
    Also, tried high G as well as low G
    I still find it bright!
    Just wondering if you tried other brand and have recommendations?

I made this video when I first received the Clara. This one is living water in low G tuning. I have not made any more video using it ever since because I am still looking for the set of strings that sound good to my ears. Thank you in advance for your input.

Can’t offer much in the way of help, but I’ll be following this thread closely as I’m still trying to find the right set for my Farallon. I’ve tried blacklines, living water and just got some worth browns to throw on next. For low G I’ve had success with a soloist but gonna mix it up for experimentation sake with a Pepe Romero or Thomastik-Inkfield next.

I only own two ukes so maybe I’m just being unfair to my Farallon constantly comparing it to my Collings.

Quote Originally Posted by Renruthsoj View Post
    Can’t offer much in the way of help, but I’ll be following this thread closely as I’m still trying to find the right set for my Farallon. I’ve tried blacklines, living water and just got some worth browns to throw on next. For low G I’ve had success with a soloist but gonna mix it up for experimentation sake with a Pepe Romero or Thomastik-Inkfield next.

I only own two ukes so maybe I’m just being unfair to my Farallon constantly comparing it to my Collings.
    I am happy with my Farallon....I use guitar strings. (I mean downupdave strung it with classical guitar strings for me)

I have an early Clara. Presently I have the Worth Brown Medium concert set on it. It's a step in the right direction, but I'll probably go with a tenor set to tame it even more.

It was love at first strum with the Clara, but living with her she is awfully bright. The truth is out there.
    Why me?
    "Some people see the hand of God in their lives, some only the finger."
    - Evan Eisenberg, Atlantic Monthly, July/August 2006, p. 151.

14:29044

If fluorocarbons are too bright you could try nylgut. My (used) Clara came with Aquila Reds high-G which worked very well.

Another option is take whatever strings you've got on it now and tune down to Bb or B. If that sounds better then maybe you just need a set with lower tension.

Quote Originally Posted by PereBourik View Post
    I have an early Clara. Presently I have the Worth Brown Medium concert set on it. It's a step in the right direction, but I'll probably go with a tenor set to tame it even more.

It was love at first strum with the Clara, but living with her she is awfully bright. The truth is out there.
    You just took the words right out of my mouth! Yes love at first strum then too bright for my taste ! I still love her though ! I have a set of tenor worth brown. I will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by acmespaceship View Post
    If fluorocarbons are too bright you could try nylgut. My (used) Clara came with Aquila Reds high-G which worked very well.

Another option is take whatever strings you've got on it now and tune down to Bb or B. If that sounds better then maybe you just need a set with lower tension.
    I did tune it down but not ideal for concert scale.
    I love Red. That’s a good option, I had red on my carbon fabric Blackbird ! It was sweet.
    Thanks

Another option: The Martin Premiums by Aquila. Really clean but not as bright as fluoros.
    Martin C1K • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ <suh-weet> • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Makala MK-CE concert • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

My A string on My Clara is really loud! It is almost piercing. It has Worth Browns and a Fremont soloist low g. Maybe i’ll Try the Martin Premium. I like the feel of those.

What do people think of the Kamaka string on the Clara? Has anyone ever tried?

Nylon strings might be the answer but I’ve never had a nylon set I liked.
    Why me?
    "Some people see the hand of God in their lives, some only the finger."
    - Evan Eisenberg, Atlantic Monthly, July/August 2006, p. 151.

14:29044

Thread Information