Strings for Blackbird Clara ?

SoloRule

Reaction score
I have a 2018 model Clara.
I have tried Living Water, Oasis Warm
Also, tried high G as well as low G
I still find it bright!
Just wondering if you tried other brand and have recommendations?

I made this video when I first received the Clara. This one is living water in low G tuning. I have not made any more video using it ever since because I am still looking for the set of strings that sound good to my ears. Thank you in advance for your input.

Can’t offer much in the way of help, but I’ll be following this thread closely as I’m still trying to find the right set for my Farallon. I’ve tried blacklines, living water and just got some worth browns to throw on next. For low G I’ve had success with a soloist but gonna mix it up for experimentation sake with a Pepe Romero or Thomastik-Inkfield next.

I only own two ukes so maybe I’m just being unfair to my Farallon constantly comparing it to my Collings.

Can’t offer much in the way of help, but I’ll be following this thread closely as I’m still trying to find the right set for my Farallon. I’ve tried blacklines, living water and just got some worth browns to throw on next. For low G I’ve had success with a soloist but gonna mix it up for experimentation sake with a Pepe Romero or Thomastik-Inkfield next.

I only own two ukes so maybe I’m just being unfair to my Farallon constantly comparing it to my Collings.

I am happy with my Farallon....I use guitar strings. (I mean downupdave strung it with classical guitar strings for me)

I have an early Clara. Presently I have the Worth Brown Medium concert set on it. It's a step in the right direction, but I'll probably go with a tenor set to tame it even more.

It was love at first strum with the Clara, but living with her she is awfully bright. The truth is out there.

If fluorocarbons are too bright you could try nylgut. My (used) Clara came with Aquila Reds high-G which worked very well.

Another option is take whatever strings you've got on it now and tune down to Bb or B. If that sounds better then maybe you just need a set with lower tension.

I have an early Clara. Presently I have the Worth Brown Medium concert set on it. It's a step in the right direction, but I'll probably go with a tenor set to tame it even more.

It was love at first strum with the Clara, but living with her she is awfully bright. The truth is out there.

You just took the words right out of my mouth! Yes love at first strum then too bright for my taste ! I still love her though ! I have a set of tenor worth brown. I will give it a try.

If fluorocarbons are too bright you could try nylgut. My (used) Clara came with Aquila Reds high-G which worked very well.

Another option is take whatever strings you've got on it now and tune down to Bb or B. If that sounds better then maybe you just need a set with lower tension.

I did tune it down but not ideal for concert scale.
I love Red. That’s a good option, I had red on my carbon fabric Blackbird ! It was sweet.
Thanks

Another option: The Martin Premiums by Aquila. Really clean but not as bright as fluoros.

My A string on My Clara is really loud! It is almost piercing. It has Worth Browns and a Fremont soloist low g. Maybe i’ll Try the Martin Premium. I like the feel of those.

What do people think of the Kamaka string on the Clara? Has anyone ever tried?

If you want to mellow out the timbre, use smooth (non-rectified) nylon strings, e.g., D'Addario clear nylon ukulele strings. Yes, they take longer to stretch out but they're sweet and what Jake grooves with. If you want a wee bit more edge, D'Addario Titanium might be the ticket followed by Nylgut.

Thank you for the great recommendations
I am going to try worth Brown strings for tenor and report back !

In a "mix" with other instruments, it'll blend in nicely, otherwise I'd suggest a Baritone uke. Same chord shapes, but 5 frets lower.

In a "mix" with other instruments, it'll blend in nicely, otherwise I'd suggest a Baritone uke. Same chord shapes, but 5 frets lower.

Thank you for the suggestion
I already have baritone and tenor and guitar.
Just trying to give this Clara a warmer voice. That’s all

Just want to update this thread.
I have had the worth brown ( tenor )on my Clara for over a week now.
It’s ok. I still find it bright.

I always liked my Clara, but fell in love with Worth Browns on it.
Using Orca low g on my Farallon.

I second gochugogi's recommendations, in the same order.

Just want to update this thread.
I have had the worth brown ( tenor )on my Clara for over a week now.
It’s ok. I still find it bright.

I had a moment of clarity this morning. So, I am fortunate enough to own a Blackbird Farallon with sunburst gloss and a Blackbird Clara with the natural finish. I too sometimes find the Blackbird Clara a little too bright and punchy. So I was following this thread with some interest. Then I saw a video of a Clara with the sunburst which looks gorgeous. I was then reminded of my earlier thread of my visit to Blackbird and something Joe said, you are probably used to hearing instruments with a finish on them, so that is more familiar to you.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?137301-Blackbird-Factory-Visit&highlight=blackbird+factory

accordingly, maybe we have to just accept the natural finish Clara as she is and adjust our playing to her. Not the easiest when you are juggling multiple instruments. Or, I guess you could invest in a sunburst Clara for that extra warmth.

Top Bottom