Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I making a reasonable request?

Default Am I making a reasonable request?

I'm new here, so I'm not sure how these things go, but if I could get some feedback about my situation, that would be great.

I've been emailing back and forth with a well-known and respected ukulele shop in hopes of ordering a particular ukulele. They sold the last of that model recently but were able to find some more tucked away in their inventory.

The ukulele I'd like is made of a wood that varies quite a bit in appearance, and I wanted to see what they looked like before ordering. Upon my request, they emailed me a photo of one and then another of their ukuleles. Both were okay, but not quite what I'd hoped for.

I asked if they could send more photos of any others they had, but I haven't heard back from them. This shop seems great, with great people working there. But they are a bit slow and unresponsive in their communications.

My question: is it reasonable to be asking for pictures of these instruments? It sounds like they aren't easily accessible (they're still in boxes or crates or something), and maybe they weren't planning on setting them up for display for a while, and perhaps only one or two at a time. So there's the hassle of taking a bunch of them out just to snap pictures and then putting them back.

I've offered to put in an order right away, so they don't feel like they might be wasting their time, and then I could just select from one of their pictures, but I get the feeling it's too much trouble for them.

It's not a particularly expensive ukulele, but it's not an entry level one either--it's a mid-range instrument. They're popular, and they'll probably sell eventually. So am I wasting their time? Is it unreasonable to be asking for pictures of ukuleles that are possibly in storage?

Anybody with similar experiences ordering online?

For myself.I'd ask, if they aren't responsive, even if telling me they don't do the photos, before they have my money; how responsive will they be if something goes wrong after they've gotten my money. I'd try one more time, perhaps with a better description of what you would like over the ones they sent you.

If they're anything like the KALA KA-EBY-T then I know exactly where you're coming from! They vary a great deal and if I ordered one expecting the orange blaze through the grain and just got a dark ebony one I'd be devastated!

To me, it doesn't sound like you're asking too much in this case.
    That's one of the things I like about MIM's ukes store on Reverb. You see the actual ukulele that is being sold. There aren't many who do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    For myself.I'd ask, if they aren't responsive, even if telling me they don't do the photos, before they have my money; how responsive will they be if something goes wrong after they've gotten my money. I'd try one more time, perhaps with a better description of what you would like over the ones they sent you.
    Well, they're actually very reputable. I think if I named them, I'd get a lot of responses saying I'm not being reasonable. But I just want to look at some photos and buy a ukulele. I don't know how else to try with them. I'd love to be able to describe what I want, that's a good suggestion, but I wouldn't know unless I saw it, if that makes sense.

Maybe try another supplier?
    Happy just to be a Newbie +, Penny

Quote Originally Posted by jer View Post
    To me, it doesn't sound like you're asking too much in this case.
    That's one of the things I like about MIM's ukes store on Reverb. You see the actual ukulele that is being sold. There aren't many who do that.
    Yeah, I'd feel comfortable buying from Mims, mainly because she seems like a decent person. That said, I was actually looking at some of her KoAlohas, and it seems like the image resolution is better on her own site than on Reverb. Also, it looked like she had a couple of the same ukuleles listed twice under different numbers. Probably just a mix up, but attention to detail and all that.

Anyway, this shop I'm talking about, they actually do a pretty good job with pictures when they list instruments. But I've contacted them before to ask about future availability only to discover they're sitting on ukuleles they haven't listed. I bet they're a very relaxed/fun place to work at or hang out at, but they definitely do some things that make me think they're leaving money on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by prb035 View Post
    Maybe try another supplier?
    I would, but few people seem to carry this model, and nobody seems to have it in stock right now. As an alternative, I've just discovered Iriguchi Ukuleles, and I'm thinking about ordering from them instead.
    Last edited by snowdenn; 09-07-2019 at 12:44 PM.

I suspect that what you’re asking for is beyond what they can easily do and they might feel like you’re going to be dissatisfied what ever pictures they show you. They likely have other customers to deal with too and those customer want to buy as opposed to look. What’s reasonable depends on circumstances, give them a nudge to see if they will help some more and then simply accept that you’re getting the best service that they can offer - go elsewhere if that’s what you need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Greenbag View Post
    I suspect that what you’re asking for is beyond what they can easily do and they might feel like you’re going to be dissatisfied what ever pictures they show you. They likely have other customers to deal with too and those customer want to buy as opposed to look. What’s reasonable depends on circumstances, give them a nudge to see if they will help some more and then simply accept that you’re getting the best service that they can offer - go elsewhere if that’s what you need to do.
    I think you're right. Although I offered to put in an order first, just so they know they have a sale. What I'm looking for is cosmetic; I know I want the ukulele, I just want to choose the one that is most appealing to me visually. And if none of the others one look great, I'd just take the first one they showed me. I expressed all this to them.

I can't help but wonder if it's a matter of price. I get not wanting to deal with this kind of hassle for an entry level ukulele. And for an expensive custom order, I think it's something people would want/expect. But the ukulele I'm after is between $400-$500. At that price, I can't tell if it's reasonable to expect them to do a little extra work or not. Especially because I'm sure they're eventually able to sell these things to customers less picky than me. But then I think: isn't it their job to sell ukuleles? They have a sale on their hands, they just need to take a few pics.
    Last edited by snowdenn; 09-07-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Thread Information