Am I making a reasonable request?

snowdenn

Reaction score
I'm new here, so I'm not sure how these things go, but if I could get some feedback about my situation, that would be great.

I've been emailing back and forth with a well-known and respected ukulele shop in hopes of ordering a particular ukulele. They sold the last of that model recently but were able to find some more tucked away in their inventory.

The ukulele I'd like is made of a wood that varies quite a bit in appearance, and I wanted to see what they looked like before ordering. Upon my request, they emailed me a photo of one and then another of their ukuleles. Both were okay, but not quite what I'd hoped for.

I asked if they could send more photos of any others they had, but I haven't heard back from them. This shop seems great, with great people working there. But they are a bit slow and unresponsive in their communications.

My question: is it reasonable to be asking for pictures of these instruments? It sounds like they aren't easily accessible (they're still in boxes or crates or something), and maybe they weren't planning on setting them up for display for a while, and perhaps only one or two at a time. So there's the hassle of taking a bunch of them out just to snap pictures and then putting them back.

I've offered to put in an order right away, so they don't feel like they might be wasting their time, and then I could just select from one of their pictures, but I get the feeling it's too much trouble for them.

It's not a particularly expensive ukulele, but it's not an entry level one either--it's a mid-range instrument. They're popular, and they'll probably sell eventually. So am I wasting their time? Is it unreasonable to be asking for pictures of ukuleles that are possibly in storage?

Anybody with similar experiences ordering online?

For myself.I'd ask, if they aren't responsive, even if telling me they don't do the photos, before they have my money; how responsive will they be if something goes wrong after they've gotten my money. I'd try one more time, perhaps with a better description of what you would like over the ones they sent you.

If they're anything like the KALA KA-EBY-T then I know exactly where you're coming from! They vary a great deal and if I ordered one expecting the orange blaze through the grain and just got a dark ebony one I'd be devastated!

To me, it doesn't sound like you're asking too much in this case.
That's one of the things I like about MIM's ukes store on Reverb. You see the actual ukulele that is being sold. There aren't many who do that.

For myself.I'd ask, if they aren't responsive, even if telling me they don't do the photos, before they have my money; how responsive will they be if something goes wrong after they've gotten my money. I'd try one more time, perhaps with a better description of what you would like over the ones they sent you.

Well, they're actually very reputable. I think if I named them, I'd get a lot of responses saying I'm not being reasonable. But I just want to look at some photos and buy a ukulele. I don't know how else to try with them. I'd love to be able to describe what I want, that's a good suggestion, but I wouldn't know unless I saw it, if that makes sense.

To me, it doesn't sound like you're asking too much in this case.
That's one of the things I like about MIM's ukes store on Reverb. You see the actual ukulele that is being sold. There aren't many who do that.

Yeah, I'd feel comfortable buying from Mims, mainly because she seems like a decent person. That said, I was actually looking at some of her KoAlohas, and it seems like the image resolution is better on her own site than on Reverb. Also, it looked like she had a couple of the same ukuleles listed twice under different numbers. Probably just a mix up, but attention to detail and all that.

Anyway, this shop I'm talking about, they actually do a pretty good job with pictures when they list instruments. But I've contacted them before to ask about future availability only to discover they're sitting on ukuleles they haven't listed. I bet they're a very relaxed/fun place to work at or hang out at, but they definitely do some things that make me think they're leaving money on the table.

Maybe try another supplier? :D

I would, but few people seem to carry this model, and nobody seems to have it in stock right now. As an alternative, I've just discovered Iriguchi Ukuleles, and I'm thinking about ordering from them instead.

Last edited:
I suspect that what you’re asking for is beyond what they can easily do and they might feel like you’re going to be dissatisfied what ever pictures they show you. They likely have other customers to deal with too and those customer want to buy as opposed to look. What’s reasonable depends on circumstances, give them a nudge to see if they will help some more and then simply accept that you’re getting the best service that they can offer - go elsewhere if that’s what you need to do.

I suspect that what you’re asking for is beyond what they can easily do and they might feel like you’re going to be dissatisfied what ever pictures they show you. They likely have other customers to deal with too and those customer want to buy as opposed to look. What’s reasonable depends on circumstances, give them a nudge to see if they will help some more and then simply accept that you’re getting the best service that they can offer - go elsewhere if that’s what you need to do.

I think you're right. Although I offered to put in an order first, just so they know they have a sale. What I'm looking for is cosmetic; I know I want the ukulele, I just want to choose the one that is most appealing to me visually. And if none of the others one look great, I'd just take the first one they showed me. I expressed all this to them.

I can't help but wonder if it's a matter of price. I get not wanting to deal with this kind of hassle for an entry level ukulele. And for an expensive custom order, I think it's something people would want/expect. But the ukulele I'm after is between $400-$500. At that price, I can't tell if it's reasonable to expect them to do a little extra work or not. Especially because I'm sure they're eventually able to sell these things to customers less picky than me. But then I think: isn't it their job to sell ukuleles? They have a sale on their hands, they just need to take a few pics.

Last edited:
I don't think it's unreasonable at all. The visual aesthetic of a ukulele can play a major role when forming a bond with your instrument. Remember that "island time" often runs at a much more relaxed pace than other timing expectations in the country. If this shop is in Hawaii, you may be running into that.

I'd follow up with them and ask again. I'm sure they will be happy to send you specific pictures.

Remember that "island time" often runs at a much more relaxed pace than other timing expectations in the country. If this shop is in Hawaii, you may be running into that.

Ha! How'd you guess?

I'd follow up with them and ask again. I'm sure they will be happy to send you specific pictures.

Good advice; I think I will.

I’m reminded of Stan Jay, the legendary owner of Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island (may he rest in peace). Not only would he post multiple pictures of each instrument, complete with a brilliantly witty description of its condition and tonal profile, if you called to ask about an instrument he would literally bring it into his office and play it for you over the phone. Didn’t matter if it was a $50,000 vintage Martin guitar or a $200 Fluke ukulele, everyone got the same level of service from Stan.

Anecdotaly: I once casually described an idea I had for a custom Martin based on their 15 series all Mahogany guitars to Stan during a conversation about something completely different. Three days later, I got an email from him saying that “just for fun” he had reached out to the Martin custom shop with the specs I had mentioned (that he had remembered exactly) to see how much it might cost. The price he quoted me was actually a few hundred dollars less than I had imagined such an instrument would go for. I can see its case stacked against the wall with a couple of my other guitars from where I’m sitting on the couch as I write this. :D

Needless to say, I don’t think you’re being at all unreasonable. There are definitely dealers out there that want your business enough to make that extra effort to post pictures of the actual instruments they have in inventory. They’re the ones that I’d give my money to.

Best of luck with your search,

Scooter

A few years ago, I was looking for a Kamaka tenor anniversary model. This one store just got in 4. I asked if they could shoot a video or take pictures of the 4. The kid, ahem young man, who was working there was great. He brought them all out, played a little bit on each one. I wound up buying the HF-3D over the regular HF-3 with a premium price of an extra grand because I liked the aesthetics and tone better. Something he said while playing it was great too. He just stopped and said, I don’t know what it is about the deluxe model but it sounds better.

I bet they are willing to do it, just give them a little bit of time. Good luck! I know it is hard to be patient. Amazon Prime has really spoiled me.

You are not being unreasonable at all. Oft times the ukulele in stock looks much different from the "stock representative photo" that is used to illustrate the model.

The dealer is well aware of this. And understands that you want to be able to select the one that appeals to you. So, if they can, they will usually try to accommodate your request. However, if they are busy, or if they have several of the model, or if they haven't unpacked all of the ones they have received, then it may take some time.

I have asked for two mid-range Ponos (each from a different dealer) and both were happy to oblige. In both cases I had a customer associate helping me out. And I could nudge him when I hadn't heard from him/her for a while. No biggie.

By the same token, I was looking to buy a $1200 tenor from one dealer and they just turned me down flat. They didn't have time. Even though it was the slow month of August. Needless to say I haven't purchased anything from them.

Good luck finding just the right one.

Well, they're actually very reputable. I think if I named them, I'd get a lot of responses saying I'm not being reasonable. But I just want to look at some photos and buy a ukulele. I don't know how else to try with them. I'd love to be able to describe what I want, that's a good suggestion, but I wouldn't know unless I saw it, if that makes sense.

You are ABSOLUTELY being reasonable in asking for photos in order to get the one that is most pleasing to you. You are trying to be completely satisfied with your purchase. What could possibly be wrong with that? They are in an industry to serve the public. If an item they sell varies widely, they should xpect their customers to be able to compare all the available ones. It isn't like they have to do this with every uke as most don't vary much.

I have asked for two mid-range Ponos (each from a different dealer) and both were happy to oblige.

What a coincidence, that's what I've been trying to purchase. But I might just upgrade to an Iriguchi.

You might consider calling them on the phone and telling them exactly what you are looking for and ask them to pick it out for you and photo it. Probably will get a faster response than an e-mail. That's what happened when I ordered from HMS.

From a chronic overthinker, I think you're overthinking it!

They're probably on island time, or your request just got shuffled in the daily grind. Follow up, it can't hurt.

You should definitely google the model Pono you're looking for, and find one that is closest to the style you want. It's impossible for them to be able to interpret what you want, even if you were able to specifically express it in text.

You'll be right!! :D

You might consider calling them on the phone and telling them exactly what you are looking for and ask them to pick it out for you and photo it. Probably will get a faster response than an e-mail. That's what happened when I ordered from HMS.

Haha, HMS is very responsive in person and on the phone but, yeah, email ain't their thing. Don't think there's enough hours in the day with practicing, teaching, ordering gear, paperwork, selling and videos. And I can't blame them, I rarely answer my email as well. You gotta do the most important things first and email is near the bottom of the list. I think Cory actually answered my email a month after I sent it so the old skool voice phone is the way to go.

If you tell us the uke and the seller, we could give a better answer. Both have an effect on how things work. As you suggested, having ukes in boxes piled in a store room can make it a challenge to get the box, unpack the uke, take a picture, and then put it back. There's also the issue of unpacking and repacking - depending one the uke. Will the buyer want a uke that has obviously been unpacked and repacked?

Top Bottom