Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Am I making a reasonable request?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii 50 View Post
    I think most ukes are set up when ordered then shipped out
    I don't know if every place that sells ukuleles does a set up, (I think you might be referencing some place specific?), but I would hope that every seller would at least do a quick check to be sure that they're not shipping out a damaged ukulele. So, we're in agreement, if I understand you, that the ukulele would be unpacked and then repacked before shipping.

So, to OP's issue, yes, it takes time for a seller to unpack a ukulele and take a photo, but it shouldn't be a big deal. Spending $400 to $500 is a big deal for many/most people, so it's fair enough to ask to see a photo of a specific ukulele before buying it, especially when OP offered to pay first and buy one.

I suspect I know which seller is being referenced, and while some people have good luck in contacting them and working with them, I haven't. I've given up on them. But maybe I'm thinking of the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    Haha, HMS is very responsive in person and on the phone but, yeah, email ain't their thing.
    IMO, if a business is not going to answer, don't put a contact form on your website, and don't list email as a way to contact you.
    State that you'll only respond in person or to phone calls.

If you're an internet business, at least in part, people expect to be able to contact you through a contact form or email and get a response, especially with time differences that can make it very difficult to contact some businesses during the hours that they accept calls. And even then, I found that phone calls during business hours don't necessarily work, either. Sure, businesses can be busy with in person customers, or on another call, but if a message is left, someone should be returning the call.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    I suspect I know which seller is being referenced, and while some people have good luck in contacting them and working with them, I haven't. I've given up on them. But maybe I'm thinking of the wrong place.
    It would be nice to know for sure, rather than casting a shadow on several sellers.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

My money is on HMS.
    Ohana CK-42R - all-solid concert, sinker redwood top, rosewood body, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG- solid/lam concert, spruce top, spalted flame maple body, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid concert, 5A acacia top sides and back, mahogany binding, Limited Edition
    Ohana SK-30M - all-solid mahogany long neck soprano (concert scale)
    Romero ST - solid/lam concert, spruce top, mahogany body

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    It would be nice to know for sure, rather than casting a shadow on several sellers.
    Can't cast a shadow when no one is mentioned. This isn't meant to be a review of a seller and it is nice that no one is mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    IMO, if a business is not going to answer, don't put a contact form on your website, and don't list email as a way to contact you.
    State that you'll only respond in person or to phone calls.

If you're an internet business, at least in part, people expect to be able to contact you through a contact form or email and get a response, especially with time differences that can make it very difficult to contact some businesses during the hours that they accept calls. And even then, I found that phone calls during business hours don't necessarily work, either. Sure, businesses can be busy with in person customers, or on another call, but if a message is left, someone should be returning the call.
    If they are too busy attending customers and regular duties, unless this is an unforeseen emergency, they should at least hire a part timer to keep on top of emails if they regularly can't keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by AQUATOPAZ View Post
    Since the ukes get a setup, not being unpacked would be a red flag.
    Normally you do the setup after the customer puts the money in your hand. Otherwise you'd waste time doing setups twice. The customer might require special strings, saddle upgrade, higher or lower action, pickup, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    Normally you do the setup after the customer puts the money in your hand. Otherwise you'd waste time doing setups twice. The customer might require special strings, saddle upgrade, higher or lower action, pickup, etc.
    I meant as regards a customer being upset that the box was opened and then resealed. They should all be opened, checked and then resealed.

At this point in time I’m the only person that does our website stuff photo video etc. I can’t afford to hire anyone right now, but I want to start listing all ukes individually above 4 or 500. We started doing that with some already but that’s my goal with all of them.

I struggle to keep up with emails but I work on them daily. Joel, Corey, and Veronica do too through their work week. My apologies for the delay, we are trying to be as great as we can at customer service, that’s the only way we’ll make it. With Pono we’re right in the same building as them so chances are we can find one you’ll like as long as they have stock. (I tried to find this and see an email thread where Veronica sent pics of a few ATD on Monday, not sure if that’s you but I don't see a reply on our end)

It costs our business $40-$60 per instrument for our setup departments work that we don’t charge for. I also take the time to record and edit instruments/performances and discussions which is arguably not “worth it”. While I hope these things matter, I realize that other stores don’t invest the same way as me, and can afford to be better in ways I can’t. But I’ll always work to improve, and hopefully we’ll continue to be a viable service to the community.

And no, our customers are doing us the favor. We are just trying to do right by them in appreciation of their support.
    andrew@theukulelesite.com
    (808)781-9168

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    Its reasonable for the shop to balance the needs of all of the customers of the shop.
    Which is what seems to be happening in this case.
    The shop gives everyone gets the same opportunity, if you don't take your opportunity when your turn comes up, you go to the back of the queue. That is how a shop is fair to all of the customers. Sometimes the shop will be busy and wont have a lot of time for each customer, sometimes there will be only one customer and the shop will have all day to help the single customer. That is business.
    If you want to buy a ukulele that has such high demand that it has almost sold out, you need to buy it while it is in stock. If you dilly dally and vacillate there wont be any left to buy. You can focus on what is reasonable or you can focus on getting the ukulele.
    The other customers of this mystery shop for this mystery ukulele are probably very pleased that they have had an opportunity to buy the last of the stock of this ukulele, they wont think it is unreasonable to get some service themselves. They are now probably waiting on delivery or already have their new uke and are playing it all day. And they know it wont look the same in 10 years because the wood will age and change colour anyway.
    A) I have never been to a shop of any kind where, if I asked for help, I went to the end of the line.
    B) If the look on a uke that varies greatly is important to a buyer. it is ridiculous to think that a uke they would not find pleasing is better than not getting the uke which doesn't satisfy.
    C) Focusing on getting the uke you really want is ALWAYS more important than just getting the uke.

Thread Information