Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Am I making a reasonable request?

Funnily enough, when I read the original post my immediate thought was, “I bet he’s talking about a Pono ATD from HMS.” I got my ATD from them, and I did so knowing that the grain patterns can very pretty dramatically. I did not ask for a picture, although I thought about it. In the end, I decided that it was the sound I was most concerned about. I just added a comment when I placed the order briefly describing what I was looking for and it came pretty close. I was satisfied. That doesn’t mean I don’t think it’s reasonable for you to ask for pictures Until you find the right one. It’s gonna be your uke after all, not mine. Just know that you may never actually find the exact ‘right’ one.

I don’t want to speak for Andrew. He’s already done that for himself up above. What I will say is that I’ve never had a problem working with them. I actually recently started a thread about my experience with them. That doesn’t mean I’ve never had a missed email. It’s happened a couple of times, but I’ve also emailed a lot. I firmly believe that they are great people that are trying to do the best they can for the ukulele community while continually trying to hold the tiger by the tail.

My advice, as several have suggested, is to pick up the phone and call. If you’re not satisfied with the results, you’re perfectly within your rights to move on.

Good luck, and wherever you get the ATD from, if that is indeed the uke you’re looking for, I think you’ll be pleased. Oh yeah, and try the Worth Browns. They sound great on the ATD.

Good luck!

The pickier you are (and there's no reason why you shouldn't be picky) the longer it may take to find the one that winds up being yours.
    My advice is to be patient. Mim helped me out immensely when I went for my 1st "serious" uke. She looked and looked until she found the right uke for me, that was about 6 years ago, I think, and I still have it. She had only just met me, and told me I was the 1st member of TBUS (our club) that she had met. She knew that this sale had the potential to mess her up with a large club, or create many more loyal customers. I've met her and corresponded with her many times since then, and I'm here to tell you that she's more than decent.
    Whomever you choose to buy from is just as important as the individual uke you want. The sellers, the really good ones, like Mim and HMS, know that you'll likely buy again, and they want to make you a loyal, happy customer.
    They understand that no purchase is unimportant.
    Happy hunting, let us know what you get...
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenn View Post
    I'm new here, so I'm not sure how these things go, but if I could get some feedback about my situation, that would be great.

I've been emailing back and forth with a well-known and respected ukulele shop in hopes of ordering a particular ukulele. They sold the last of that model recently but were able to find some more tucked away in their inventory.

The ukulele I'd like is made of a wood that varies quite a bit in appearance, and I wanted to see what they looked like before ordering. Upon my request, they emailed me a photo of one and then another of their ukuleles. Both were okay, but not quite what I'd hoped for.

I asked if they could send more photos of any others they had, but I haven't heard back from them. This shop seems great, with great people working there. But they are a bit slow and unresponsive in their communications.

My question: is it reasonable to be asking for pictures of these instruments? It sounds like they aren't easily accessible (they're still in boxes or crates or something), and maybe they weren't planning on setting them up for display for a while, and perhaps only one or two at a time. So there's the hassle of taking a bunch of them out just to snap pictures and then putting them back.

I've offered to put in an order right away, so they don't feel like they might be wasting their time, and then I could just select from one of their pictures, but I get the feeling it's too much trouble for them.

It's not a particularly expensive ukulele, but it's not an entry level one either--it's a mid-range instrument. They're popular, and they'll probably sell eventually. So am I wasting their time? Is it unreasonable to be asking for pictures of ukuleles that are possibly in storage?

Anybody with similar experiences ordering online?
    I think I found your email thread with Corey. Those two MGCDP he showed you might be the nicest cause he went through most of them. But I went through the rest of their stock today and will be putting up a few others on the site tonight. A lot of the latest batch of those is rather plain. But lately we’ve been listing all the mango models picture specific for that reason. (Trying to pick the nicest ones Sorry for any delays, and mahalo to all the kind people here.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewKuker View Post
    I think I found your email thread with Corey. Those two MGCDP he showed you might be the nicest cause he went through most of them. But I went through the rest of their stock today and will be putting up a few others on the site tonight. A lot of the latest batch of those is rather plain. But lately we’ve been listing all the mango models picture specific for that reason. (Trying to pick the nicest ones Sorry for any delays, and mahalo to all the kind people here.
    Pure class and that is why I deal with Andrew and HMS exclusively. This thread got a little out of hand and I am glad I kept my mouth shut. A follow up to HMS instead of starting this thread would have got results too.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Pure class and that is why I deal with Andrew and HMS exclusively. This thread got a little out of hand and I am glad I kept my mouth shut. A follow up to HMS instead of starting this thread would have got results too.
    I'll second that, Dave. And for what it's worth, I also deal with Mim and with Uke Republic, and I have had nothing but good experiences with them as well.

Seems reasonable.
    Description of this video: "David Beckingham || Published on Sep 22, 2013
    This is my lovely little Ohana SK-21 sopranino ukulele. 30cm scale, tuned up to E6 (B E G# C#). Martin fluorocarbon strings, and I've had the end of the headstock shortened to make the most of it's tiny form. (Fits in a backpack now) The tune is Roy Smeck's Magic Ukulele Waltz, one of the most uploaded finger style uke solos on YouTube"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gV029o8MiQ
    keeping an eye out for a very special concert....

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Sorry, but this thread was done with pure class. The vendor was never mentioned and a question was asked. If the OP felt that he wasn't getting an answer, it is understandable he would ask this question BEFORE following up since he didn't want to be unreasonable. Also, since it is a popular model, it makes sense that he wouldn't want to just wait some more with a follow up while the exact uke he wants is perhaps being sold. Apparently, time is of the essence. A customer has every right to ensure they are getting what they want. Are you insinuating that a benign question posted in this forum is wrong? This forum is to share opinions and questions, and the OP posted his/hers in the most respectful way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by AQUATOPAZ View Post
    Sorry, but this thread was done with pure class. The vendor was never mentioned and a question was asked. If the OP felt that he wasn't getting an answer, it is understandable he would ask this question BEFORE following up since he didn't want to be unreasonable. Also, since it is a popular model, it makes sense that he wouldn't want to just wait some more with a follow up while the exact uke he wants is perhaps being sold. Apparently, time is of the essence. A customer has every right to ensure they are getting what they want. Are you insinuating that a benign question posted in this forum is wrong? This forum is to share opinions and questions, and the OP posted his/hers in the most respectful way possible.
    yes you can post an opinion as this is what the chat room is about...hopefully the OP will post his decision on which uke he ordered or not as he seems to have gotten all his answers from Andrew

just saw 5 new Mango Pono ukes on the Ukulele Site
    Last edited by hawaii 50; 09-09-2019 at 05:18 AM.
    Kanile'a K-2 Concert,Ko'Aloha Super Concert,Maui Music 1998 Koa Tenor,Compass Rose Koa Tenor,Graziano Koa Tenor,Kamaka HF3-S,Moore Bettah Milo/Sitka Spruce Tenor,DeVine mother of curl Koa/Engleman Spruce Tenor,Ko'olau Indo Rosewood/Sinker Redwood Tenor,Washburn Lyon and Healy 1936 Bell shaped soprano,Lfdm Bastogne Walnut/Carpathian Spruce Tenor,Rollo Scheurenbrand African Blackwood/Adirondack Spruce Tenor

Wow, this got more responses than I expected. I appreciate all the encouragement and advice; it's been helpful in figuring out how to manage my expectations.

I didn't want to name any names because it's their livelihood, and I don't feel like I was particularly wronged or anything. In the past couple months I've contacted over a half dozen vendors. Some have responded within hours with answers, pictures, etc. Some I never heard back from. In this instance, I couldn't tell if I was asking/expecting too much.

To clarify, I prefer email because I'm better with pictures with respect to visual aesthetics. I'd have a hard time describing what kind of wood grain I'd like over the phone.

Just to be safe: there's some incorrect guessing going on in here, but it doesn't seem like anyone's coming out looking bad, so I'll just leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    If you tell us the uke and the seller, we could give a better answer. Both have an effect on how things work. As you suggested, having ukes in boxes piled in a store room can make it a challenge to get the box, unpack the uke, take a picture, and then put it back. There's also the issue of unpacking and repacking - depending one the uke. Will the buyer want a uke that has obviously been unpacked and repacked?
    +1, concur

Thread Information