Season 395 - Spicks and Specks

Hi Emma, just want to make sure I understand your clarification. I get the idea of doing songs written by artists who appeared on the show. How about artists who were on the show, who performed songs written by someone else? Example; So Kate Ceberano and David Campbell both appeared on the show. They performed a song together called "Falling Slowly", though neither of them wrote the song. Does that qualify?

Cool theme. I've already discovered at least a dozen artists and many more songs i'd never heard before ~

Great question!
Hi Emma, just want to make sure I understand your clarification. I get the idea of doing songs written by artists who appeared on the show. How about artists who were on the show, who performed songs written by someone else? Example; So Kate Ceberano and David Campbell both appeared on the show. They performed a song together called "Falling Slowly", though neither of them wrote the song. Does that qualify?

My initial instinct was to say, no… but y’know what? Why not! I will add in an extra criterion in the initial post (and amend my intro video, which is becoming redundant at this point!) to allow for songs performed on the show in musical acts - but not so broad as to include songs mentioned on the show or performed as part of the games.

Whaddayareckon?

Craise Finton Kirk Royal Academy of Arts
Before the BeeGees went disco and Barry began to wear tight pants to get that
falsetto they brought out a quirky LP called BeeGee 1st the cover of which was rather
Psychedelic and the orchestration was a strange combination of reverse tape feedback
Beatles with a smidgen of inscrutable Incredible String Band lyrics. The bonus tracks
on it are a hoot and just a little bit crazy and a far cry from the glitter ball disco with
which the BeeGees made their name. Beegees 1st was released July 1967 and from
the cover to the songs it seems to be some weird homage to Sgt Pepper which had been
released in May 1967. I liked the title of this song Craise Finton Kirk (alternate take)
I think it s a tip of the hat towards For the benefit of Mr Kite.
Check it out if you are looking for eclectic songs BeeGees 1st

He smiled and rubbed the stubble on his chin
He sure shall find the weariness and dreariness of life that's growing thin
Yet, he didn't have so very far to go
With a pencil in his hand he will travel on as planned
With a mist up in the mountain threw a light
Craise Finton Kirk, see him go, on his way
Oh, they don't know where he is
Very very nice, very very nice
Even in the morning when he slept
Something good is missing
There's nothing very much to talk about
And nothing very much to see
Talks about the place he'd like to go
And you never see the worrying and hurrying that makes a person slow
Yet, you wouldn't think he'd be so hard to find
Yet, he looks so very busy but there's nothing on his mind
And his wavy hair continues not to grow

Last edited:
Third and final entry "New york mining disaster 1941"
and some background to the Knockshinnoch disaster that happened
in 1950 in the village where I lived in Scotland. Long after the event
had happened it was something to be remembered and talked about
after a night out at the pub, when men spoke of the heroic deeds that
had been performed, and I always got the impression that the true heroes
were different from the official line given out by the management of the Colliery.
In the description of the video there are links to Pathe news and a short
history of the disaster, which I have put as text in this video.

Great question!

My initial instinct was to say, no… but y’know what? Why not! I will add in an extra criterion in the initial post (and amend my intro video, which is becoming redundant at this point!) to allow for songs performed on the show in musical acts - but not so broad as to include songs mentioned on the show or performed as part of the games.

Whaddayareckon?

Sounds good, thanks for the flexibility :)

Hello, Emma ... great idea for the week! Being from the U.K., I have never seen this programme, but scanning down the list of guests, I noticed that Leo Sayer's name appears more than once. Since he was born and bred just a very few miles from where I grew up on the South Coast of England, I feel I need to support a local lad. (His first manager was, apparently, ex-pop singer turned business man, Adam Faith, who lived for several years in the village I moved to when I got married ... where are these co-incidences going to end?????) So, here is "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing", with the assistance of a very agile alien!

I went for a Bee Gees song, since they are probably the band in theme that I know the best.
It turns out that Bee Gees songs are difficult to play. So I seetled with a pretty basic strumming pattern.

Grant me the indulgence of a double post here, since Season 188 was a long time ago and I don't think "Addicted to Pain" has received a lot of air time where you're at.

And here's the peppier version. This is the first song I've made using my new gear. Finally got a USB-interface and a new mic. Already loving it so much.
I don't wanna work...I just wanna bang on my uke all day.

Oh, BTW, not to look ahead, but guess who's hosting for the first time in over 5 years next week?

Missed the Electric Season as we have been moving and everything has been quite hectic and a mess, so I am playing another new electric uke on this old Bee Gees hit 'More Than a Woman'. Actually I have always preferred the Tavares version and funnily enough saw them play live a few years ago. Same guys just a tad older... The ukulele is the Antica Ukuleleria Elettrico in a custom flamed maple version. It has 4 individual piezo strips underneath the saddle pieces if anyone is wondering about the special looking saddle. All the best.

For Glenn Tilbrook, a guest in 2007....

Here's a song from Newton Falkner I have loved since the first time I heard it.

"Taken For Granted" (2000) by Sia who was on the show in 2010. Sia seems to like Prokofiev's "Dance of the Knights". :) My version is a multitracking mess with extra scratching percussions by the Housecat.

This one was originally released by the lovely Katie Melua in 2003 and, as well as being a beautiful song, summed up perfectly how I was feeling at the time! Thanks for hosting Emma - hope you’re enjoying your debut! :)

EDIT: Katie was apparently on the show in 2005 btw. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom