Season 395 - Spicks and Specks

You guys, there have been so many great songs so far. Some really interesting and fresh takes on familiar songs, and some that are new to me!

I finally have reliable internet, so I’ve recorded something, a little bit of Divynls, since Chrissy Amphlett appeared on the show a few times. It’s not their MOST raunchy song, so it’s up to you if you want to play it without headphones!

Ahoy everybody
I found time this week, between work and preparing for the second weekend of sheep hearding on the mountains, to figure out a song that I could perform to the tune of another.
Here is the song 'Pepper' by the band Butthole Surfers performed to the tune of Beck's 'Cyanide Breath Mint'

Great theme, EmmaX! Sorry to hear about all the fires.

Meredith, Chris and I met the Spicks and Specks theme by bringing a song from two guests on that show, Jimmy Barnes and Ian Moss from Cold Chisel. Here's our cover of Flame Trees!

Great theme, EmmaX! Sorry to hear about all the fires.

Meredith, Chris and I met the Spicks and Specks theme by bringing a song from two guests on that show, Jimmy Barnes and Ian Moss from Cold Chisel. Here's our cover of Flame Trees!
This has another layer - since Sarah Blasko (who recorded my favorite cover version of this song) was also on Spicks and Specks a few times; so it’s a threefer!

Hi everyone! I've been MIA for a few months, but I'm back with a Tim Minchin song! Here's a bit of mild political satire for you--his attempt to bring the opposing sides in Palestine together in song.

Just back after a week away with no uke (a huge sin, I know, but the other people on the holiday were probably glad). Anyway, it gave me time to go through that list and think about songs. As soon as I saw Guy Garvey's name on there, I had a petty good idea what I would try.

This song is lodged in my mind - I can still remember exactly where I was when I first heard it, on my car radio, about 15 years ago, in the days before radio station online playlists. So, having decided it was one of the best things I had heard for ages, all I could do was email the DJ (Steve Lamaq at Radio 1) to find out what it was. He replied - "Fugitive Motel" by Elbow. Never thought I would end up playing it on a uke, but that's what the Seasons does to you.

One in at the last minute under the category of songs sung to the tune of another song. In this mash-up, we unite New Orleans Funk (Lee Dorsey, The Meters, and Allen Toussaint) with Australia's finest rock and roll. Enjoy! I know I did!

A little bit of country - Gina Jeffreys put out a new album (the first in about a decade!) last month.
The album 'Beautiful Tangle' included this song performed with Lee Kernaghan; and since they were both guests at different times on Spicks and Specks, I figured I'd have a crack at it.
(Of course I started losing my voice before I could record any harmonies, but I'm posting it anyway!)

Last edited:
Getting one in under the wire here. I haven't even had time to look at 396's theme yet!

This one is for the original bouncy major sounding tune with lyrics that are less so. There is a positive element in how my protagonist copes with her unspecified social stigma, but the verses clearly show what she has to face on a daily basis and that's where the sadness comes in. We shouldn't have to suffer, just to be ourselves!

Hope you like:

Steve Lukather was on an episode of Spicks and Specks. According to his IMDB info, he played rhythm guitar on the album version of Michael Jackson's song Bad.

"Weird" Al Yankovic was on two episodes of Spicks and Specks. He is famous specifically for performing songs to the tunes of other songs. In fact, he is arguably most well known for doing this to Michael Jackson songs.

There is a whole octave change in this song that I cannot for the life of me handle, but you're getting it anyway.

Billy Field - You Weren't In Love With Me

A last-minute entry! Here's a cover of a great song from Billy Field, with me singing and doing a bit of piano (due to an ongoing tendon injury I STILL can't play uke) and Kevin doing all the clever uke bits as well as adding some harmony.

Self-indulgently, I'm going to post this last one from me: Weir by Killing Heidi (1999).
The vocalist, Ella Hooper, was Spicks and Specks guest-slash-team captain 43 times over the years.
(You will be pleased to know that I did not even attempt to reproduce her vocal gymnastics in this cover.)

And it’s just after midnight in Hawaii, which means we all survived my first season. Well done, and congratulations, and thank you to everyone who brought songs and left ‘likes’ and comments on the songs brought this week.
Season 396 is happily underway now, and I will do a wrap-up video later this week.
♥️♥️♥️

Sorry - missed the cut off - but putting it out there anyway - Well done Emma for stepping up.

Jason Mraz - cover - he was in an episode somewhere in the TV show.

I ran out of time to do it by 2 hours :-(

I like to thank Catherine B for vocals. She did an awesome job learning the song in less than a day.

Top Bottom