Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about the future

Quote Originally Posted by fohukulele View Post
    I respect your views, I was just angry that one comment by John Colter attracted so much criticism. It was his opinion and he was entitled to state it. What's the point in a forum if we can't give an opinion, John's post was not even offensive, it was just honest.
    Regarding the moderators, in my opinion his is the most arrogant post in this thread and it is offensive to all of us.
    I quite see where you are coming from above and don’t take issue with it. Personally I too didn’t find John’s post offensive - I can readily imagine other people just shrugging it off - and regarded it as just reflecting my own (but unspoken) view.

I find some (quite unnecessarily so) ‘acid tongued’ comments in this thread: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...88#post2174188 . I use several quotes from that thread, see below.
    Did someone mention the ‘Golden (dont-be-a-jerk) Rule’ earlier?
    Did they also mention that “Board policy is that the rules apply to everyone equally“ too?
    Did someone say “ ... none of you should believe that you are so revered, valued or indispensible that your asses won't get bounced right out the door if you're a jerk”? The Moderators will make their decisions and decide who’s a ‘jerk’, they have a difficult job and we shouldn’t argue with then (and I am not doing so).
    In my opinion JC’s comment (Pete, your self aggrandisement is becoming comical.) was rather timid in comparison to some of the quotes below by a well known member, but please make your own judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Howlett View Post
    This is going to be on repeat forever unless someone locks it down. There is no right or wrong way. And whoever started this post ought to put some time in going through all the old posts, youtube videos and stuff out there - there is enough info out here to make more than informed decision. We don't even need Grahams' book! (though it would be nice to have it in our 'library') And we should shut up and stop encouraging them.
    I thought Timbuck’s response was a gem, so nicely put.

So from all of your research you chose, perhaps, the most painful and pointless way to do something. Listen my friend, the wealth of experience on this forum is there for the taking. Have a couple of days off from posting your ill-advised decisions and repetitive questions and do yourself a favour - THOROUGHLY research what those who have been doing this for MANY years have shared here. Go away for another day and allow yourself to process it. Then come back to us , informed and curious as to why we nearly all agree own one thing - this business is more than just arriving at the first idea that seems the easiest solution. Some operations are difficult but there former posts here made by professionals and gifted amateurs identify the pitfalls and properly guide you to the BESRT way of doing something, not there EASIEST. You are not painting yourself in a positive light my friend and people, like me who want to help people like you are reluctant to do so because you appear to be of the 'entitled ' generation who expect everything without effort, to come instantaneously to your door for free. The price you have to pay to get my help and the benefit if 25 years building ukulele ism to show you have out some measured and thoughtful effort ito this. You are not my peer but a potential pupil....
    You’d need a thick skin not to be offended by the above, but of course that’s just my opinion. The phrase ‘if you can’t take it you shouldn’t hand it out’ comes to my mind, YMMV.

I thought Peter Rabbit’s post was a bit harsh, but again I can see his logic. His inclusion of a post by the OP in another thread was, to my mind, a helpful illustration. Here’s an extract from PR’s post above and, just in my opinion, I think that his last sentence is worth each of us noting - makes me mindful, and I know I’ve got things wrong at times too.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRabit View Post

... Case in point below from another thread, one of too many examples. The arrogance and self inflated egotism is on another level.

... Mr Howlett's posts are rude, critical and extremely derogatory. But one small criticism causes him to delete all his messages on this thread?! You know what they say about people in glass houses...
    Before ending this post I would comment that there are some fantastically skilled Luthiers who contribute to UU, people of great skill and experience. With very rare exception those same people are both modest about their skills and achievements and patient and helpful to others. In my humble opinion JC is that type of character too (modest, patient, helpful), please decide for yourself whether there is another contributor to this thread who could learn something from those exemplary Luthiers - some of then seem to think that there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Moore Bettah Ukuleles View Post
    You know, I'm glad this came up. It's been bugging me for a while.
    if this forum were restricted to only questions that were never asked before and there is nothing new to share, then shut it down. Sure, every question can be answered somewhere on the Internet. So why do we need the Luthier's Lounge? I just don't understand the impatience that comes from entertaining newbies questions, no matter how many times you've heard them. I've been on this forum since the beginning and I used to participate a lot. I only participate now when I feel my input is vital to the discussion. I, too, have heard all the questions before but I don't take it as my responsibility to address every one of them. I just ignore them, figuring the more seasoned newcomers will add something helpful. I know I don't have to answer every question I see! We aren't building space shuttles here or curing cancer for God's sake. We are making objects of entertainment and merriment. So above anything else let's be kind to one another. We were all starting out some point. I see this forum as a means to get to know one another, talk story and share information. This is a family, and as with all families we may not always agree with one another but let's at least be respectful toward one another if not patient and helpful. Thank you. (This is the longest post I've made in years.)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnmdahl View Post
    Chuck said it better than I would have. It's also worth remembering that somewhere north of 90% of people on this subforum are here to make a ukulele or two for fun and to challenge themselves rather than looking to start a career as a luthier, and it's pretty closed-minded to try to scare each of them away with the attitude that they're not worthy of anything other than being grouched at.

John

It would be best if this thread ended shortly, no good seems to be coming from it but some good could. No one is perfect - I’m certainly not without faults - but if the above had been pointed out to me then I think that I’d feel obliged to take a long and hard look at myself ... and then, no matter whether he’s right or wrong, I’d thank JC for being enough of a friend to tell me the unpalatable.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 09-10-2019 at 02:10 PM.

FYI I have asked the moderator to remove the post because of the escalating 'padrrisanship'. If anything, this is between John and me and we should keep it that way. I personally could not understand Rick's response/censure which seems to have made matters worse and have now made a third request for it to be expunged.

It is also evident that there is a strong concensus that, as they say here in Wales, "I am a bit up myself." Well, it may look like that but I can assure y'all I'm not IRL and to this end. so as not to upset you any more I will retire from making comment here. If you want to see what I do to help the building community I have a facebook group where I broadcast almost daily what I am currently working on. I repeat techniques like hand bending and neck carving and share my journey with new technologies. For those whom I have offended - I apologise. For this who think I am something else, visit my page and see who I really am.

Now if you have read the above it means that Rick has still not got around to moderating it. In his earlier pm to me he indicated that there are very few moderators now working here so if you have a strong moral sense and dedication to this forum, you need to sign up to be a moderator...

FYI I have asked the moderator to remove the post because of the escalating 'padrrisanship'. If anything, this is between John and me and we should keep it that way. I personally could not understand Rick's response/censure which seems to have made matters worse and have now made a third request for it to be expunged.

It is also evident that there is a strong concensus that, as they say here in Wales, "I am a bit up myself." Well, it may look like that but I can assure y'all I'm not IRL and to this end. so as not to upset you any more I will retire from making comment here. If you want to see what I do to help the building community I have a facebook group where I broadcast almost daily what I am currently working on. I repeat techniques like hand bending and neck carving and share my journey with new technologies. For those whom I have offended - I apologise. For this who think I am something else, visit my page and see who I really am.

Now if you have read the above it means that Rick has still not got around to moderating it. In his earlier pm to me he indicated that there are very few moderators now working here so if you have a strong moral sense and dedication to this forum, you need to sign up to be a moderator...
    I genuinely wish you well and hope that your future path brings you joy. It would not at all surprise me if, in real life (IRL) you are a very different person from the picture painted by some of your posts. However, without wishing to state the obvious, you are in charge of what you post and hence the impression given to readers is yours to manage.

I note your comment about partisanship (padrrisanship?) but, to be fair, you have had two established members (Resoman and DPO) speak up for you and I have been the only long standing member to speak up for John. In my comments I’ve tried to be even handed and provide third party comments that illustrate issues. I’ve also invited you to reflect on what has happened such that you might change for the better - sometimes it’s the small things that let us down and give others false impressions. As regards JC I would encourage you to seek reconciliation with him, the sign of a true friend is one who will tell you something you should know rather than one who will tell you something you’d like to hear.

Where you post is largely your choice. You are in control of your Facebook channel and if that works for you then by all means enjoy using it. Cutting your self off from UU because of some small dispute, and with folk who are happy to resolve issues, is to my mind not helpful to you. The term ‘throwing the Baby out with the Bathwater’ comes to mind and I suggest that you review that decision on a regular basis. You do have friends here on UU so, to me, it makes no sense turning your back on them ... but it’s obviously for you to decide what’s best for you and how much you value friends here on UU.

UU is a lovely forum and, over the time I’ve been a member here, I’ve seen relatively little trouble between members, by and large folk just seem to know how to behave themselves. Occasionally a moderator steps in to resolve some issue and when they do they seem efficient and even handed - who could reasonably ask for more? Our Moderators are to be thanked for their work and may we give then little to do.

Again, as above, I wish you well for the future. I would also add that I’m very sympathetic to health problems that you have shared here on UU and recognise that, at times, frustration and pain can cause us to say and do things that in better times we would not do. My suspicion is that many other members are similarly sympathetic and would echo that sentiment.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 09-10-2019 at 03:37 PM.

I have found that the more you try to manage it, the bigger the hole gets It's impossible to 'unsay' anything and this medium is painfully fragile - I offended a friend recently by sending an email with an attachment but no salutation - I was rushing out, thought he needed the info immediately, assumed the conversation between him and my wife had covered this... No, I prefer my FaceBook livestream broadcasts - it's a little more authentic than the written word and you get a better quality of typo and miss-step because there is no potential for edit

I have found that the more you try to manage it, the bigger the hole gets It's impossible to 'unsay' anything and this medium is painfully fragile - I offended a friend recently by sending an email with an attachment but no salutation - I was rushing out, thought he needed the info immediately, assumed the conversation between him and my wife had covered this... No, I prefer my FaceBook livestream broadcasts - it's a little more authentic than the written word and you get a better quality of typo and miss-step because there is no potential for edit
    I would suspect that trying to do too much in too little time is the root cause of the current unhappiness. The written word can be very powerful but it can also, so very easily, be misinterpreted or contain unintended nuance. I see your logic in your choice, and wish you well with your ventures and your onward journey.

You know what they say about people in glass houses...[/QUOTE]

That they should dress in the basement?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    But sadly, often there is only one or two other people on the planet who are interested enough to watch live.
    I think watching live is irrelevant Bill. I also am a member of Pete's FB club and watch all his videos but rarely live. So long as I can see them it doesn't matter. So I'm sure there are far more interested than it appears on the live broadcasts. I've learnt a lot from them and for that I'm grateful. Mike

I think the major Pete Howlett legacy will be the wonderful instruments which bring so many punters a lot of enjoyment.
    I think a more important legacy will be the improvements made by the dozens of readers who have read his advice and incorporated it into their own building practices. I am one of them.
    Pete has shown himself to be a prickly old bugger in some of his posts and a wonderfully generous human being in others. IMO, the latter outweigh the former.
    I hope he continues to share with us on this forum.
    Miguel

How long would it be after my demise? After I had trained struggled and advised some young keen lad named (Tom Dougan) ( name I picked from the air)
    to build ukuleles that look just the same as mine with the same design, but not built by me...and I want my name to be still on the on the label ?.... Not long I think!.. the Tom Dougan ukulele Co would be born and I wouldn't care cos I'd be dead
    Last edited by Timbuck; 09-11-2019 at 10:57 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

I want to know how I can order one of these Tom Dougan ukuleles.

John Colter.

Thread Information