Strings for an Octave apart on E and A

keenonuke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I want change the strings on an 8 string ukulele. Rather than just an Octave apart on the G and C strings also have an Octave apart on the E and A. So the E and A strings would not be strung in unison. I'm okay with wound or unwound strings.

Are there any suggestions of what strings to try.

Thanks.

What's the scale?

I think the reason this is rarely seen is that you're probably going to have to go down octave with wound strings. The E might be tougher to get and the A might get muddy with the low G 4th string.

Ok, so guitalele tuning is typically ADGCEA. You want the 5th and 4th strings here to be E and A instead of D and G. So you can try any classical guitar set - or singles. Since you're tuning up a step higher than normal, you may want to go with low tension sets.

A six-string uke has an A string with an octave. These are available as single strings from Aquila. I have no idea what to use for the E, this may not be a good idea. I am also thinking of getting an 8-string uke, but instead of having any octave strings I would just double everything straight to get that lush taropatch sound.

Thanks folks
Next stop strings by mail :)

Other comments also welcome

Top Bottom